Up until last fall, I owned a ZR-2! Wasn't the ZR-2 just a sonoma with a factory lift?:rofl:

I remember in the early 90's, there was a C4 ZR-2 made. I believe they shoe horned a 454 into the Corvette???

Here is what I remembered:

1988 ZR-2 "Big Doggy"

I think the magazine I read 20 years ago was someone trying to copy the prototype for themselves.

Of course, I should realize that everything is based on history with the Corvette and that there actually was a ZR2 offered. Funny that they used that code as a suspension package on their small trucks and SUV's years later.

Wow. He's got verbal diarrhea bad. :rofl: He makes some good points, but holy crap. Why so defensive at only having a 400 hp? ;)

There are so many "barn finds" out there, you have to wonder if we didn't all buy these cars in the 60's, and then immediately hide them away in barns for later in life. And, if the barns are anything like the ones I'm familiar with, the cars should all be full of mice droppings and covered in bird poop. :D

To give you a better sense of how he's way worse than me when it comes to details, see what he has to say about his personal computer - Our Dell Computer Network - www.SS427.com

:rofl:

When he gets done describing something, about the only question you would have would be, "What the hell did he say?" When I sell something, I keep it simple. This is the price. Here's the documentation. Either you want it or you don't. Works for me. It's called the KISS system. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Last edited:
So did I, that's why I thought maybe Bob could sort it out and give the lowdown!!! You think it's worth the money asked?
By the way I've already got my Tri-power just looking for a decent chassis!
Rob

427Tri-power002_zps3dda6bc6.jpg

427Tri-power004_zpsab325616.jpg

L71 l89

A few years ago, one of our daughter's got me one of these models for Christmas. I built an in wall display and have it sitting between a blue COPO Chevelle and a red '67 SS396 Chevelle. Very nice detail.

Nice model.

If there's a yellow sticker on the firewall end of the passenger-side valve cover, it should read IU, indicating that it is a L-71/L-89 aluminum head engine. The shape of the chrome ignition box and the shorter height of the intake shows that it's not a '67 engine. Also, where is the water temp sender, at the front of the intake? If not, it'll be on the driver's side head, indicating that it's a '68 or '69. The shape of the alternator bracket shows it to be later than '67.

By the way, it came from a power brake car. ;)

Very interesting read about the 70 ZR1. You're posting up some great links Bob! I'm really enjoying learning along the way. I didn't read the link with the verbal diarrhea. I don't want to fall asleep and smash my face on the headboard. I'm ugly enough as it is.:rofl:

That is a fantastic model Rob! Very nice!!!!

The other loose end? I mentioned there was apparently another L-88 prior to Prototype #0001 above. Anyone interested?

is anyone interested ? duh !!! :D

Sorry. I forgot.

1966 Corvette COPO L-88, released for racing to Roger Penske. Picked up at the St. Louis factory by none other than Dick Guldstrand and driven....yes, DRIVEN....from Missouri to Pennsylvania....in the winter....in a car with no heater or defroster. If you've never been around a real L-88, you won't fully comprehend what a feat that was. No heater/defroster. No choke. Pretty much a real race car with 12.5:1 compression requiring at least Sunoco 260/103 octane. The dead of winter. They gave him a blanket to keep him warm. Must have been a hell of a ride.

This car went on to win at Daytona and Sebring....you know....real racing. ;)

God bless the 60s. :D

2lm5lzp.jpg

Remember, this is a 1966 COPO L-88, not a RPO (Regular Production Option). That didn't come until 1967. See any chrome in there? :D

2nqe0yf.jpg

rtqhzd.jpg

You've never seen a '66 big block hood like this. That's 'cause this one really works. ;)
2itl9o3.jpg

548bo.jpg

546ezc.jpg

I took these photos at Carlisle in 2002.

Great story Bob. Can you imagine trying to launch that baby with an M22 close ratio and a 2.73 rear end!?!

Those old Corvette News stories were great. I have the complete 6 issue set for the 1975 model year. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread