Lots of good opinions and information in here. I don't intended in any way to argue with anyone about this, I'd just like to add my two cents (plus GST).

Run-Flat tires were developed for racing. Google or wikipedia the term if you are ever bored, it really is a fascinating technological solution to the biggest problem in touring-type race circuits - blow a tire apart at high speed or in a twisty section, and the car is destroyed. Body panels get torn off, radiators, hoses, all sorts of bad things can happen. Let me iterate again.... Racing conditions!

Run Flats have a couple of extra thick rubber ridges that will ride on the pavement (if they have to), which helps to stop the wheel from hitting the pavement, and it helps hold the rest of the rubber together so that it doesn't rip apart and flap (may or may not actually work that way), hopefully saving your body work. If you drive your car quite agressively and/or track it, run-flats might be a good consideration. I personally don't think so, but I understand the argument.

Yeah, no don't worry, there's no wobbly handling at all unless you're not balanced properly. Handling is certainly a little different, you lose a little crispness of initial turn in at high speed but you do gain traction due to more flex inherent in non-rf tires and much more compliant characteristics over uneven (i.e. 99%) of road conditions. RFs, at least the ones I've tried are a compromise, they serve a specific need and that need is not better handling but cost savings in packaging and extra parts needed for a spare in a car.

The largest ridge of rubber on a run-flat is usually close to the outside of the wheel in case a tire blows in a corner. This ridge is solid, so if the tire is low on pressure or not warmed up enough to hold the pressure, this ridge will actually help add some structure and stability to the wheel in a hard corner. Handling is indeed different in that respect, but that's not a good thing. It means you're counting on a tire to correct you when you overdrive the tires. Again, there is an advantage I guess, but it is nevertheless for people who don't know better.

Has anyone had an issue getting a Corvette safetied with Non Run Flats?
I have no intention of selling the car but the safety issue crossed my mind.
I have Run Flats now but will need fronts soon so may go with new MSS Non Run Flats all around.

I could see a shop possibly making an issue of it on an OOP or import inspection because of some OEM bullshit, but I'd tell 'em off and take it to a different shop. Weight rating and speed rating is all they need to be concerned with. I think Nik mentioned a legal document, but I'm pretty certain that no law in any province within Canada will stipulate that you must use run-flats, even if a car came with them from the factory. If they are CSA approved and fit the car, and have good tread depth, it will pass an inspection.

I always thought that run flats were introduced to eliminate the spare tire.

That is the common opinion of run-flats, and while I disagree, I suppose you could just drive on it to the next town anyway. I personally would not. If a tire goes, I stop. Tow truck experiences are rarely fun, but I have CAA for a reason and I can specify a flat-deck and supervise the load, and even catch a ride to the shop (maybe that is not protocol, but I have), and make sure that I am satisfied.

I'd just like to add that I have well over 1.5 million km of driving experience, and have only ever experienced one blowout of a tire without warning. And even at that, I can't say that I didn't have warning, I just couldn't slow down enough before it went. That was a work truck that was over 9500lbs with a tire that wasn't rated for that kind of load, and that's why it happened so fast.

You will be happy with your choice, and no worries.

I know everyone is looking at the cost of "run flats".
My Storey; I was driving home from my sons house about 150 km late at night. My car system highlighted low pressure on the back tire, so I pulled over to check. Yes I had a nail in the tire, with the run flat tires I was able to continue the drive home...of course at a lower speed.
Since I had experienced a flat late at night... i will always purchase run flat tires.
If you decide on not going with run flat tires, like people mentioned, have a compressor and plug kit and the knowledge to repair.

Time flies when you are having fun. Looks something like 4 years since we put the Firestone runflats on our 2005. Still running fine and with the front wheels zero cambered, wear appears to be nice and even not wearing on the inside edge as the tires were doing with factory spec alignment.
Those are very good tires, had’m on my 05.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.