Has anyone had an issue getting a Corvette safetied with Non Run Flats?
I have no intention of selling the car but the safety issue crossed my mind.
I have Run Flats now but will need fronts soon so may go with new MSS Non Run Flats all around.

There's nothing in the new Ontario safety guidelines that speaks to tire types (or run flats that the car ships with for that matter).

I always thought that run flats were introduced to eliminate the spare tire.
When you go with non run flats and no spare (obviously) there may be an issue.
Nik doesn't think it's an issue so that's good.

Nothing is ever an issue until it becomes an issue.... If purchasing run flats or a spare tire is not an option, make sure you have a compressor and a plug kit because a normal tow truck is not an option either... It takes specialized gear and an experienced driver to tow or to get a Corvette on a flat deck.... and I haven't met one yet....jmo

My Camaro came with the compressor and slime plug kit stock and I was a bit surprised the Vette didn't. I guess it is because of the run flats that are stock. Do you carry a compressor and plug kit Eric?

Nothing is ever an issue until it becomes an issue.... If purchasing run flats or a spare tire is not an option, make sure you have a compressor and a plug kit because a normal tow truck is not an option either... It takes specialized gear and an experienced driver to tow or to get a Corvette on a flat deck.... and I haven't met one yet....jmo

I always thought that run flats were introduced to eliminate the spare tire.
When you go with non run flats and no spare (obviously) there may be an issue.
Nik doesn't think it's an issue so that's good.

I get all shy and flustered when quoted verbatim :)

I said I hadn't spotted anything in the new revised Ontario safety guidelines. I'll link you to the pdf document when I get close to a laptop. Whether it's an actual practical issue is a different question.

What I do in my spare less cars is carry a portable compressor, tire repair kit and a can of slime. In case of any puncture it's caa flatbed time, if I happen to be many many hours away from caa service the tire repair will be attempted but really it's a last resort.

In truth I'd do the same with a punctured run flat unless I was within a few K of my go to shop.

In answer to your question Randy (Pep), (and you may be sorry you asked lol), I do not have a compressor or a tire kit in my Corvette but am going to get one (even though I have, and will continue to have run flats). So far I have totally relied on the run flats tires on both my C6 and the C7... And touch wood, haven't had to rely on them... Insofar as relying on a CCA flatbed, I would really prefer not to do that either. I can see it now...

"Hey Mister. What do you think I should hook the winch cable to."..... "Oops.... What's that front piece dragging on the ramps".... Wow... I didn't think it would splinter like that".... " Lucky it's down low. No one will ever notice".. "Now to get the hook off of that rad support". "Oh. By the way, we are not responsible for any damage to your vehicle"

In my experience (and it may be limited compared to some of the guys on here), but the Michelin Pilot SS ZP tires work just fine... They are quiet... They do not ride rough... Unlike the Cup 2's, they do not split in below zero weather (for the guys with un-heated storage).... They have amazing traction and corner great (weather conditions considered )... And although I haven't pushed the car up to 1.25 G's yet... lol... (and won't)... I do watch the G-force meter bounce up pretty high and think... "this is damn well enough lateral force for this puppy"..(and Brenda thinks it's enough too....lol).

Now...If I was going to drive my car in the snow or in freezing temperatures, or if I was trying to set a new track record at Nuremburg and they told me I could shave 1.2 seconds off my lap time with non run flats, I'd be the first one to go out and save a few hundred bucks on new tires for that advantage. But there is a somewhere between ZERO and NFL chance that will happen... lol... . So for the members that track your car, good on ya...And for the members that don't track your car or can't afford the extra cash for run flats, or still think they need that extra traction or cornering ability around Town, well....good on ya, but don't get caught off track pushing either of your tire choices to the limits of what these cars can do... Not only is it a recipe for an accident, the fines will also make a set of ZP tires look really cheap.... And by the way, no... I did not like the Goodyear F1's either.

Nuff Said on this!:Topicclosed:

I have the mss non run flat and a set of f1 runflats. The mss give a nicer ride than the f1, but I suspect the fact that the mss are non run flat is the difference there.

First time I've heard of wobbly handling with a non run flat? Where is this information from? I have never read or heard anything about non run flats compromising a Corvette, or any other car's handling at speed. Regular Super Sports and run flats are both Y rated tires ( highest speed rating available from regular manufacturers). Good to 186 MPH. I understand the difference in sidewall stiffness between the two.
My own experience. Y rating has nothing to do with handling as it is a speed rating. I had both sets and noticed a "bouncier" feel with the nonrunflats. This was at higher speeds though like 130k+.

My own experience. Y rating has nothing to do with handling as it is a speed rating. I had both sets and noticed a "bouncier" feel with the nonrunflats. This was at higher speeds though like 130k+.

Lot less sidewall stiffness in the non run flats. Softer ride feel vs the hard transmission/rigid feedback for sure.

Sold my rear Gen 2 Goodyear RFT's this morning....so it was off to order the new meats today : ) Local new shop gave a great price. Also owner is a car guy and friends with my other shop owners and buddies. Knows his way around highend cars and exotics. Has brand spanking new touch-less installation machine. Along with the latest and greatest Hunter Elite laser road-force machine. Which he waited to get. Going with Pilot Super Sports non run flats 285/35ZR18's up front and 345/30ZR19's in the rear. NOTE- new Model pilots not in all sizes and lacking some supply. Was going to look at the price on those , but I will be well served with these. If anyone would like info on the shop/supplier let me know.

Safe motoring boys.

MM

I don't track the car or anything, I guess just somthing that is a good ride.
I don't think you can go wrong with the Firestone Wide Oval runflat which I ran on an 05 Z51. Quiet, not expensive, great ride with 0 noise and precise handling. I've had a lot of experience with tires over the last few years, going from runflats to non runflats and vice versa. If you have a runflat available use it or you'll have floaty higher speed handling. But don't use Bridgestone or Goodyear in either form, garbage tires.
I have a set of the new ultrahighperformance Michelin A/S runflat waiting for my C7. I know I'll lose some stickiness but gain way more driveability in the cold north. I have a set of nonrun flats in this Michelin version on my Beemer but if they had had a rf version I would have got them.
You suspension was designed for the stiffer runflats use them if the option is there. Believe me I've heard nothing good about the stock Goodyear rf on the C6 vettes, use the Wide Ovals, they are really good.

Reactions: Dik
I'm going to need new tires for my C6 soon. Should I stick with the run flats or what is the best tires to run. Thanks
Check out Continentals, I have them on my 2015 Z06 and really like them. Run flats are a horrible option in my humble opinion. I have had non run flats on all the corvettes I have owned, you will not regeret changing them out

The Tires I would recommend are the Michelin Sport A/S3 if you just require regular driving tires as that is the tire I bought to replace the EMT originals which wore quickly and where a harsh ride. They are not expensive if you buy them through Costco I recall them costing about $1000.00 for four (4).

For my 2007
I run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - These are not run flats (2-1/2 years old)
Front 245 / 40Z R 18
Rear 285 / 35Z R 19

Excellent ride, very quiet !

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.