Michelin also has a new Pilot Sport A/S 3 that is suppose to be a great wet or colder weather performance tire as well. Wasn't available for the 19/20 inch combo or as a run flat last time I looked but that may have changed.
Yes they are making a runflat now that I ordered and will be on my car as soon as the snow at least starts to retreat.

I'm going to need new tires for my C6 soon. Should I stick with the run flats or what is the best tires to run. Thanks
Get runflats unless you want wobbly high speed handling. Wide Oval by Firestone is an excellent tire. I had them on an 05 Z51. Quiet and handled precise at all speeds. If your suspension is designed for a runflat then go with them. Unless Bridgestone or Goodyear is your only option. They are not good but they're not good in non runflat either lol.

I had the original tires on my 2005 up until last spring when I switched them for the Michelin SS non run flats. Better ride traction etc. However, even with my Ls2, I can over power easily them if I want. Ironically I had a nail puncture less than a week after buying them. Took it to my favourite tire shop in Mississauga and had it repaired properly. No problems since.

C6 is notorious for inside edge front tire wear. And unless we look, it can get downright dangerous. Point in case. Three years ago I noticed a slight rhythmic shake in my steering wheel Just before I was headed down into Wyoming for a week's run. Tires looked fine from a walk-a-round look but thinking I might have thrown a balance weight, I took it car to my local go-to shop and was pretty shocked to see a beveled edge and exposed cords on the inside edge of both tires. There was 30,000 k on the original F1 tires and the fronts still had 6/32 tread depth everywhere else. Since I don't track my cars, and two new tires later, I had him back off a hair on the negative camber (which is supposed to help avoid that edge wear). Went on my 5000 km run and noticed no difference in steering or handling whatsoever. Sold the car shortly after so don't know if it helped tire wear or not. They also warn not to back off the camber too far or it can cause other problems.

My alignment guy does only alignment work, nothing else. My original tires were wearing on the inside. He changed nothing other than to set the front camber to Zero. He warned me that it might might wander a little above 130 mph but seeing as I will never see much over half that, then that was no concern. The tires still look good after about 15K miles. I am keeping a close eye just in case.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
did you go with the SS ZPs MM?

Going to go with Pilot Super Sports 285/35 ZR 18's up front and 345/30/19's on the rear. Just waiting on the warmer weather. Car currently has new pair of Goodyear 325 F1 second generations on the rear, and new 275 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's on the front. Why the owner did that is beyond me. Unless he had one of the two pairs around or a killer price...granted he knew he was selling it lol. I'll put them up for sale on Kijiji and on the forum here. As pairs or as a set of 4. Some one who needs rears will likely jump on the 325's fast.

Get runflats unless you want wobbly high speed handling. Wide Oval by Firestone is an excellent tire. I had them on an 05 Z51. Quiet and handled precise at all speeds. If your suspension is designed for a runflat then go with them. Unless Bridgestone or Goodyear is your only option. They are not good but they're not good in non runflat either lol.

First time I've heard of wobbly handling with a non run flat? Where is this information from? I have never read or heard anything about non run flats compromising a Corvette, or any other car's handling at speed. Regular Super Sports and run flats are both Y rated tires ( highest speed rating available from regular manufacturers). Good to 186 MPH. I understand the difference in sidewall stiffness between the two.

First time I've heard of wobbly handling with a non run flat? Where is this information from? I have never read or heard anything about non run flats compromising a Corvette, or any other car's handling at speed. Regular Super Sports and run flats are both Y rated tires ( highest speed rating available from regular manufacturers). Good to 186 MPH. I understand the difference in sidewall stiffness between the two.

Yeah, no don't worry, there's no wobbly handling at all unless you're not balanced properly. Handling is certainly a little different, you lose a little crispness of initial turn in at high speed but you do gain traction due to more flex inherent in non-rf tires and much more compliant characteristics over uneven (i.e. 99%) of road conditions. RFs, at least the ones I've tried are a compromise, they serve a specific need and that need is not better handling but cost savings in packaging and extra parts needed for a spare in a car.

Reactions: Tinman
arrow.jpg

Like he said..... again.... :confused:

I was more wondering/ questioning where he got that info from. Stiffer sidewall of the run flat helps on the initial turn in as Nik said. Less roll in the tire sidewall as the weight shifts entering the corner with the run flat. Again as Nik said the softer sidewall and different characteristics of the non run-flat allows for a tire that sticks better and handles better overall. I just grabbed a Dyna Plug kit. Toss in a quick Air Thief hose or one of the tiny little compressors, and you're all set.

MM, I keep my kit wrapped up in a towel that I can use to lay on ground a couple of different pairs of pliers to remove whatever made the tire go flat and cut off the plug along with a flashlight.

The kits really do work well. I have a compressor that came with the Z06 package but I guess I should actually try it. Might make sense!

Has anyone had an issue getting a Corvette safetied with Non Run Flats?
I have no intention of selling the car but the safety issue crossed my mind.
I have Run Flats now but will need fronts soon so may go with new MSS Non Run Flats all around.

Interesting thought 10Fore. You would think that to get a safety they would look at condition, maybe age, of the tires and nothing else. But this is Ontario after all so who knows. What would happen if you had to have the vehicle safetied in the winter and you were running snow/ice tires all the way round.

I have a feeling you will like the Michelin PSS if that is the route you go. Mine certainly work very well.

FYI. I bought the Firestone run-flats and found them a nice upgrade from the Goodyear's. The firestones were a lot quieter, stickier with a softer sidewall (....softer ride).

Has anyone had an issue getting a Corvette safetied with Non Run Flats?
I have no intention of selling the car but the safety issue crossed my mind.
I have Run Flats now but will need fronts soon so may go with new MSS Non Run Flats all around.

Interesting thought 10Fore. You would think that to get a safety they would look at condition, maybe age, of the tires and nothing else. But this is Ontario after all so who knows. What would happen if you had to have the vehicle safetied in the winter and you were running snow/ice tires all the way round.

I have a feeling you will like the Michelin PSS if that is the route you go. Mine certainly work very well.

Ok.... what am I missing here? You think you may not get a clean safety check if you don't have run flat tires? Why would they care as long as the tires have the minimum tread remaining and are structurally sound....? How often do you get "safetied"?

I would only need a safety if I was selling the car.
The GM dealer that sold me the car said some mechanics may not safety it if the car did not have OEM spec tires.
He also said he would probably go Non Run Flats if it was his car. HaHa

Talked with dealer one more time about a possible safety with 4 new Non Run Flats.
His mechanics would safety the car if new owner knew difference between Run Flat and No Run Flat.
Sounds like consensus is Michelin Super Sport Non Run Flats.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.