Feb 11, 2019
VetteCoins
Do most people still use run flat tires on their C5's or have they been left by the wayside?
I have only ever had to change 1 tire on the road, and that was a complete blow out. The C5 doesnt have a spare so i am a little weary of not using the runflats.

Comments anyone?

Have never run anything except run flats. Stay away from the Eagle F-1 run flats... noisy and rough tire. I had a set on my C6. The Michelin PSS ZP (zero pressure) that come on the C7 Stingray I like a lot. Lots will have a comment both ways on this I expect. Been lots of opinions over the years here.

I am gonna look high and far for Michelin AS3+ZP so that I keep run-flat and get a longer season with AS.. Tire size availability will dictate my plan though ... probably needed a year or two away though. Check 1010tire ... so far not easy to find.

Two years after my original Goodyear Run Flats wore out (actually they aged out) I asked this same question. Everything I read about and heard from other Vette owners lead me to continue the Run Flat type tire. I decided on Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZR's, however because the wheels were 17" and 18" that became an availability problem. I decided to change the wheels to 18" and 19" by installing a clean set of used C6 wheels. My tire sizes are 245/40 18" and 285/35 19" and they feel and handle better than anything I've ever owned so far. The thought of carrying a jack and tire repair parts is of no interest so unless you like to live dangerously, I'd go with Run Flats again.

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
One man's opinion on them:

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my C5 but I have not driven on them much yet. A spare tire would be nice but takes up so much room. May have to invest in one of those compressors....

Do most people still use run flat tires on their C5's or have they been left by the wayside?
I have only ever had to change 1 tire on the road, and that was a complete blow out. The C5 doesnt have a spare so i am a little weary of not using the runflats.

Comments anyone?

Hello,
On my C6 and on my C7, I replaced the original Michelin runflat with FAlLKEN AZENIS FK510 non-runflat because runflat are "wooden tires".
Especially on the C6, I found a better comfort and less noise and a better guiding accuracy.
These better results are less noticeable on C7.
With FALKENs, I have excellent dry grip.
I have never driven very fast with the FALKENs and have never driven on a circuit with them, so I can't compare them to Michelin at high speed.
I bought a compressor to help me out in case.........
The very big advantage is, for me, the price. 163€ (247 CAD) even if it is necessary to change the 4
A lot of people do like me in France.

Comments anyone?

When I bought my car, the previous owner replaced them with Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's non run flats so I carry a plug kit & will soon carry a small compressor as well.

Reactions: hemicat
One man's opinion on them:

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my C5 but I have not driven on them much yet. A spare tire would be nice but takes up so much room. May have to invest in one of those compressors....

That Scotty guy is a total clown.

Yes definitely get a good plug kit and little 12v compressor. Should be all you need 👍

Currently running runflats only because they came on the C7 rims that I bought. Once they are worn, I won’t get run flats again. I don’t hate them, I just don’t think they are necessary. When I had my old non run flat tires, they got punctured by a 1/4”bolt with a nut still on it. My plug kit was able to seal it enough to get me the 60 km home.
Regardless of whether or not I have run flats, I’ll always carry my plug kit, compressor, and players because even though driving on a run flat with no air is possible, it wrecks the tire and will need to be replaced whereas if you plug it right away, you can save the tire and also continue driving at normal speed.

On a similar thread a couple of weeks ago, the idea of a small aluminum jack was mentioned in case the hole is hard to get at, to Dynaplug it. That seemed like a good idea, so I got one of those. It takes up hardly any room in the middle cubby at the back. So along with the complete Dynaplug kit, pliers, and wheel wrench, I am good to go. I am not running run-flats but even if I was, Riley's idea to plug and save the tire makes sense.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.