That's it I made my mind when I need to replace the tires in the C7. I'm going to get regular tires with plugs, (fix a flat maybe), vise grips, wrench to remove lugs, a mini jack and the same mini compressor as in my van (VIAIR 84p). Even with all this I'll be a saving $600 and more compared to run flats.

I'll be scrounging the scrapyard for a mini jack.

• Agree
Reactions: Bixter44
After getting a flat... I was still able to drive into town instead of sitting in the middle of nowhere waiting for a truck.
After finding out Corvettes don't ship with a tow hook and the tow truck driver just wanted to hook me up exactly like the car's manual says not to... I was glad I could drive my car up the ramp... then down the ramp at the shop.

Personally, I am not a fan of run-flats. The reason being is a regular tire has a lot of flexibility in the sidewall, allowing for a better ride and a better contact patch when pushed to its limit. A run-flat works by having a thick, rigid sidewall that can support the weight of the car for a short distance.

I run what are essentially track tires for the summer, so I always keep everything I need to pull the wheel off and patch a hole in the car, should I ever need to. I've only experienced two flat tire my whole life, including all the trips I've done with my parents since I can remember. A flat tire is not a big concern.

That all being said, I do run a run-flat in the winter because a) I don't think there are any standard winter tires that fit my car and b) I don't want to be messing around with fixing a flat on the side of the road at any time in the winter.

Personally, I am not a fan of run-flats. The reason being is a regular tire has a lot of flexibility in the sidewall, allowing for a better ride and a better contact patch when pushed to its limit. A run-flat works by having a thick, rigid sidewall that can support the weight of the car for a short distance.

I run what are essentially track tires for the summer, so I always keep everything I need to pull the wheel off and patch a hole in the car, should I ever need to. I've only experienced two flat tire my whole life, including all the trips I've done with my parents since I can remember. A flat tire is not a big concern.

That all being said, I do run a run-flat in the winter because a) I don't think there are any standard winter tires that fit my car and b) I don't want to be messing around with fixing a flat on the side of the road at any time in the winter.

You are lucky to get only 2 flats in your life time, I had 2 last winter on my work van one of them on the highway, it was damn scary cars traveling inches away at 100km not changing lanes while putting on the spare. The other time I after finishing a joband walking toward it I noticed it was flat so I drilled the tire and put a plug.

Before that at least a dozen flats on various vehicles. On my trail truck sometimes I had to put 2 plugs to fill the gap.

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
On a Corvette I can only imagine a flat repair will be expensive. Even if I plugged a flat, the rubber would be replaced sooner than later. So Corvette Run Flats are my choice for allowing the choice to park somewhere safe and to do it without adding greater expense of perhaps compromising the wheel.
I just put the new bridgestone runflats on my daughters trax (for summer). Blizzaks for winter. It’s with hope that she is in for replacement tires before relying on run flats ... however “her dad” is assured that she will not have to pull over on the side of a busy road if needed. There is no price on that in my books ... whether for Spouse or Kid.
I am hearing that some SUV models may come with run flats on them soon (if not already). I’ve already seen a cadillac drive into a gm service bay on a threaded run flat ... wheel unblemished ... so I am sold (on the added cost of rubber)

Last edited:
On a Corvette I can only imagine a flat repair will be expensive. Even if I plugged a flat, the rubber would be replaced sooner than later.

For those who are going to read this this is my opinion and experience at normal speeds.
On all the tires I put plugs in they were good till I sold them years later. I never drove on a flat tire so I know it was just a matter of pulling the screw out. I never brought a tire for a garage to put a patch inside. Since I don't plan on racing the vette plugs should be fine. The garage all they do is insert a plug, sand the rubber inside and glue a patch with a light bulb to cure.

On the tire rack website they state (while run-flat tires offer extended mobility in the event of complete air loss, even they may not be suitable to return to service after being driven on while flat).

Reactions: Bixter44
For those who are going to read this this is my opinion and experience at normal speeds.
On all the tires I put plugs in they were good till I sold them years later. I never drove on a flat tire so I know it was just a matter of pulling the screw out. I never brought a tire for a garage to put a patch inside. Since I don't plan on racing the vette plugs should be fine. The garage all they do is insert a plug, sand the rubber inside and glue a patch with a light bulb to cure.

On the tire rack website they state (while run-flat tires offer extended mobility in the event of complete air loss, even they may not be suitable to return to service after being driven on while flat).

The point was @SN-III Spence did not have to worry about his daughter or wife being stopped on a busy freeway or street with a flat tire. Thus they could drive to a safe area or home for that matter.

The point was @SN-III Spence did not have to worry about his daughter or wife being stopped on a busy freeway or street with a flat tire. Thus they could drive to a safe area or home for that matter.

Yes I understood that. It's not easy to replace a tire on the side of the road. On my trucks I drop the spare every year to test out the device as they tend to seize in rust and shoot some rust proofing in the opening and lube the cable. I also spray the spare rim with rubberized undercoating to help against corrosion.

Reactions: EJChevy
I struggled with this decision when I put new rubber on my C6 last year. At the end of the day I tried to remember the last “blowout” I had. Couldn’t remember one. All of my flat tires over the last 25 years have been slow leaks that gave me plenty of warning. So I opted for non run flats. Another consideration was that my wife does not drive the Vette. If she drove the Vette or had her own, we would be rocking run flats.

Yes I understood that. It's not easy to replace a tire on the side of the road. On my trucks I drop the spare every year to test out the device as they tend to seize in rust and shoot some rust proofing in the opening and lube the cable. I also spray the spare rim with rubberized undercoating to help against corrosion.

Not something most of us worry about with a Corvette as there is no spare.... :ROFL:

What size scissor jacks would you recommend for the vette?
Right now AAA/AMA and a tow hook for on to a flat bed ... but saving the gold bars for buying the compact low profile billet aluminum jack from California car cover.
Not that I’m thinking a roadside self-service would be best ... really struggling with the choice.

Right now AAA/AMA and a tow hook for on to a flat bed ... but saving the gold bars for buying the compact low profile billet aluminum jack from California car cover.
Not that I’m thinking a roadside self-service would be best ... really struggling with the choice.

For me it's a no brainer it's going to take me about 45 minutes to raise the car, remove the wheel, put a plug in the tire and inflate, put things away and continue enjoying my trip.

If I call a towing, I'll be waiting an hour an a half or more on the side of the road and when he shows up it's a 50/50 chance it'll be someone who won't have any blocks of wood to ramp the car onto the flatbed. The angle will be too steep and it will damage the front splitter. I'll jump in the front seat of the tow truck and you get a 50/50 chance it's a driver where he stores his chains and greasy knick kacks on the passenger seat and now you are staining and ruining your nice clothes. (I've been there with the chains on the seat!). Then he would tow it to my house so I can do the same process of plugging the tire anyway. By bringing me home I've lost that day plus 90$ to several hundreds of dollars for the flatbed.

As for the California car cover jack it's cute and compact but it doesn't raise much. Murphy's law states when you use that particular jack it's going to sink in the soft dirt or the road will be uneven and when you raise the car it won't be enough to take the wheel off. Plugging a tire without taking the wheel off is near impossible.

I'm going to get a scissor jack that I'm going to weld a tab on. I read somewhere on the forum someone made a tiny ramp to be able to get a jack under. I'm going to test that flat tire theory and scissor this spring.

Guess I've just been lucky but have pulled several nails and screws over the years from my dailys and plugged them no problem without taking the wheel off... I don't find the runflats any noisier than regular tires... other than Goodyear F1's... they are noisy... The extra change for RF tires is worth the peace of mind for me and not having to carry a jack... and ramps around in my Vette is a bonus as well...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.