I guess my next question is,,,what’s your living quarters like Derek? Do you have like a suite type room? Do you have windows or are you housed in the middle of the ship?I can’t see it being a dorm style setup... Also,what’s the captains room consist of?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I watch the show “Mighty Ships” a little too often. I’ve never known/met anyone who does what you do.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Any thing like this Derek
vlcsnap-2014-07-29-23h59m54s142.png

Well no ICS for me last night.

Huge storm. Great lighting show though.

:crazzee:
hmmmmm..... Derek. I'm thinking a rig and a ship in the middle of the ocean must be a sitting duck for every lightening bolt within 20 miles... Out of curiosity, how many lightening rods do you have.... and what the heck are they grounded to?

hmmmmm..... Derek. I'm thinking a rig and a ship in the middle of the ocean must be a sitting duck for every lightening bolt within 20 miles... Out of curiosity, how many lightening rods do you have.... and what the heck are they grounded to?

Eric,
We have a 75 ish meter flare stack and lots of pointy things on the accommodation throwing off tons of RF and rarely get hit. I’ve been hit in Brazil and we only lost a few field I/0 cards in the ICSS control system. Not sure how they actually mitigate the effects of lightning strikes but the engineers do a pretty good job of it. It is likely the huge hull and all the bonding/welding holding everything to the hull that the energy is broadly and easily dissipated to the water with minimal resistance thus keeping it from burning into the systems. The switch gear, JBs and PLCs are in most cases insulated from direct contact with the structures.
I’ve actually been hit on flare stack many times at onshore plants and if the flare wasn’t lit before it certainly was after. Again no big damage.
Maybe we will get lucky tonight as there is another one coming. :D

Eric,
We have a 75 ish meter flare stack and lots of pointy things on the accommodation throwing off tons of RF and rarely get hit. I’ve been hit in Brazil and we only lost a few field I/0 cards in the ICSS control system. Not sure how they actually mitigate the effects of lightning strikes but the engineers do a pretty good job of it. It is likely the huge hull and all the bonding/welding holding everything to the hull that the energy is broadly and easily dissipated to the water with minimal resistance thus keeping it from burning into the systems. The switch gear, JBs and PLCs are in most cases insulated from direct contact with the structures.
I’ve actually been hit on flare stack many times at onshore plants and if the flare wasn’t lit before it certainly was after. Again no big damage.
Maybe we will get lucky tonight as there is another one coming. :D

I would guess that they make every attempt to isolate grounding runs from the most likely strike points away from the sensitive electronics, and then use mega duty surge suppressors to protect from the rogue hits that miss the grounding connections. They must have a series of grounding plates below the surface but I'm not sure of that.... Didn't cover that in Civil.... lol..... Damn interesting though....

View attachment 14841 View attachment 14843Cheese Tortellini with Alfredo sauce...porcini garlic mushrooms sauteed in cold first press olive oil....fresh cracked pepper and fresh parsley as garnish....oh...and a couple glasses of Bogle cabernet sauvignon complete the tasting palette delightfully for this dish.
A “couple of glasses” only :Biggrin: :p That does look kinda tasty,,,,the food I mean !!

Reactions: Jenski~Z06
I guess my next question is,,,what’s your living quarters like Derek? Do you have like a suite type room? Do you have windows or are you housed in the middle of the ship?I can’t see it being a dorm style setup... Also,what’s the captains room consist of?

Sorry for the dumb questions. I watch the show “Mighty Ships” a little too often. I’ve never known/met anyone who does what you do.

Mike this is long but...here is an example of the inside of the accommodation. Kind of like a carpeted jail.
My cabin is ok. It’s big enough with a ensuite. My office is connected to it. Yes I have a window in my office. This is on D deck where it is all cabins. All the single cabins are on this deck along with some double bunk cabins. This deck is the 2nd from the top just below the wheel house. Up above on the nav deck I have a prayer room, Internet cafe, technical library, storage and some office space.
The 2 decks below me have the sick bay helicopter lounge, HVAC, laundry, storage, recreation rooms and lots of 2, 3 man cabins. All cabins have washrooms inside and there are public washrooms on every deck. The A deck below has all the offices, telecoms room, mess and Galley conference room, a smoking rec/break room, the central control room and emergency command. This deck is the one that is on the same level as the gas plant.
The deck below is the “upper Deck” On this level we have all the stores and cold storage for the galley, store keepers office, Change and shower rooms with lockers for the guys, labratory, gym, 2 firefighting teams muster stations, emergency generator, breathing air compressor and storage, instrument air compressors and driers, hydraulic control systems for the cargo tank valves, fire fighting foam tanks and mixing room and main lines to the distribution systems and some electrical and mechanical roooms.
Below this is the machinery space or and engine room and steering flat (room) over the rudder. The engine room has the main engine for the ship (decommissioned), sea water cooling systems for the equipment in there, fresh water generation and uv treatment, sewage treatment, fuel purifiers, air compressors, a big ass boiler, 3 diesel emergency generators, Turbines for the cargo pumps, 1 out of 2 diesel fire pumps, HVAC compressors, a workshop, lots of switch gear and and a control room that’s pressured and fire proof with an escape route up to the main deck. It’s a huge multi level space with all kinds of equipment. I just listed off a few things.

For a farmboy big ships are really cool to explore. They all have the same basic things in the same places. I never get tired of exploring these things.
We never even touched on the pump room or the bosuns store in the pointy end. Lots of stuff up there too.

0CF9C174-F1D2-4CB2-919E-89325539FB60.jpeg
8D86D3CA-CF7F-4DC8-A7F5-5A045DAB27ED.jpeg
5881C5F0-A54D-4A5F-B645-36F3902E9950.jpeg
627FBDB3-51F7-459C-A129-7A140168FE22.jpeg
CE55DDD2-80A8-4613-AA32-D40E2CEB19D1.jpeg
EAE84A38-EAF0-4EFC-A078-33FFB0533B98.jpeg
20B691D6-2726-4A99-9EDB-7D3090EC7074.jpeg
DF57A32E-6198-4060-8859-E856D0414453.jpeg
BA34B6A7-6A64-40E4-A363-B464F157BEBD.jpeg
D9069548-AD0D-4C13-A444-FE83F29CBFE6.jpeg
C86AA097-D42F-414B-8E2F-A2415A148F7A.jpeg
5C29FEBF-63F2-468E-82FC-DB9A7BB3A6CF.jpeg
C1A125ED-B9B6-450A-B644-D89624657ED5.jpeg

Attachments

• 2F37CA76-C7C6-43DF-946F-58B2E317CB3E.jpeg
    2F37CA76-C7C6-43DF-946F-58B2E317CB3E.jpeg
    605 KB · Views: 2
Mike this is long but...here is an example of the inside of the accommodation. Kind of like a carpeted jail.
My cabin is ok. It’s big enough with a ensuite. My office is connected to it. Yes I have a window in my office. This is on D deck where it is all cabins. All the single cabins are on this deck along with some double bunk cabins. This deck is the 2nd from the top just below the wheel house. Up above on the nav deck I have a prayer room, Internet cafe, technical library, storage and some office space.
The 2 decks below me have the sick bay helicopter lounge, HVAC, laundry, storage, recreation rooms and lots of 2, 3 man cabins. All cabins have washrooms inside and there are public washrooms on every deck. The A deck below has all the offices, telecoms room, mess and Galley conference room, a smoking rec/break room, the central control room and emergency command. This deck is the one that is on the same level as the gas plant.
The deck below is the “upper Deck” On this level we have all the stores and cold storage for the galley, store keepers office, Change and shower rooms with lockers for the guys, labratory, gym, 2 firefighting teams muster stations, emergency generator, breathing air compressor and storage, instrument air compressors and driers, hydraulic control systems for the cargo tank valves, fire fighting foam tanks and mixing room and main lines to the distribution systems and some electrical and mechanical roooms.
Below this is the machinery space or and engine room and steering flat (room) over the rudder. The engine room has the main engine for the ship (decommissioned), sea water cooling systems for the equipment in there, fresh water generation and uv treatment, sewage treatment, fuel purifiers, air compressors, a big ass boiler, 3 diesel emergency generators, Turbines for the cargo pumps, 1 out of 2 diesel fire pumps, HVAC compressors, a workshop, lots of switch gear and and a control room that’s pressured and fire proof with an escape route up to the main deck. It’s a huge multi level space with all kinds of equipment. I just listed off a few things.

For a farmboy big ships are really cool to explore. They all have the same basic things in the same places. I never get tired of exploring these things.
We never even touched on the pump room or the bosuns store in the pointy end. Lots of stuff up there too.

View attachment 14848 View attachment 14849 View attachment 14850 View attachment 14851 View attachment 14852 View attachment 14853 View attachment 14854 View attachment 14856 View attachment 14857 View attachment 14858 View attachment 14859 View attachment 14860 View attachment 14861

Oh wow !! Is that ever cool Derek. What I would give to spend a week on that ship.

Thank you so much for going into details. Murray is going to love these pics and description.

Now,my next question. Would it be possible to get a baseball type cap from you come cold lake? If you guys have em. That would be cool.

Thanks Derek for the pictures and the description. If the engine is decommissioned is the ship manoeuvred by tugs?

I find these huge ships fascinating. Appreciated Derek.:thumbs:

She’s moored in place for 20 years. The main engine is only ballast now. It will never run again.
We were towed to the location here and if all goes well someone will tow her to the yard for decommissioning many years from now.

I’ll try and get down there for a few pictures in the next days. Haven’t been in there and checked on those bandits for a month or so anyway. I say that with jest as my engineers down there are really great. They work hard and can fix pretty much anything. They keep everything maintained and running down there very well.
Really busy on the process deck moving that big cooler in the pictures from last week into place with chain blocks, roller skates and turfers. Tomorrow we lift the 15 ton lump up on its base plate.
It’s been a busy month as the sulphur recovery reactors started bleeding some kind of alien acid blood through some pipes too. So far 2 PHDs are unable to figure out how the hell we are making this stuff. Haha.

For me it just another day. Never boring out here but often hilarious.

When I say we... I mean the crew. I’m too old and useless to keep up to these boys in the 33 degree heat here. I stand on the side and wear my fancy titled hat and then run to the A/C and watch out the window after 30 minutes. Better that way as I only make them nervous. :Biggrin:

Thanks Derek. I have a cousin who is a marine diesel mechanic. He lives in Nova Scotia. Even when he was a kid he was, to be kind, a big guy. He says he worries about getting down into these engine rooms and getting stuck and I guess becoming ballast himself.

Really interesting what is going with your big boat. Thanks.

Thanks Derek for the pictures and the description. If the engine is decommissioned is the ship manoeuvred by tugs?

I find these huge ships fascinating. Appreciated Derek.:thumbs:

Here you can see the mooring chains.

They are on each corner. She ain’t going anywhere. Design is for 100 year storm. (That’s bad I think)

8613EE10-0FAC-4E3A-B137-E5E7A012BE5C.jpeg
A309A519-23C9-4B64-B383-CABC299E487B.jpeg
92B8E946-532E-45EB-8AD9-3205161C1180.jpeg
E32AB51E-F30F-44F7-98D8-8F06C27D9244.jpeg