Back to the money pit today....

Just in time for lunch.

4565A787-A096-421B-AB95-E38BF4F88673.jpeg
E9841029-8F2D-4FFB-ADE6-90B2A9F373ED.jpeg
F7519840-6738-48B9-98AC-6960E78FB112.jpeg

Great pictures Derek. As much as I made a conscious decision to stay away from the oil and gas industry, I was always fascinated by it and the technology... and off course the money...lol...

Does anyone ever throw a fishing line over the side in their off time?

Great pictures Derek. As much as I made a conscious decision to stay away from the oil and gas industry, I was always fascinated by it and the technology... and off course the money...lol...

I’d be scanning the ocean for a “Tom Hanks” type guy floating out there. Maybe “Wilson”. Cool pics Derek. What’s the name of the ship?

I posted “no fishing” signs but oddly enough we have fresh fish quite often Eric. ;)

I’d be scanning the ocean for a “Tom Hanks” type guy floating out there. Maybe “Wilson”. Cool pics Derek. What’s the name of the ship?

Occasionally we see a floater. Fisherman usually. No need for Wilson at that point though.

This ship is called “Karapan Armada Sterling 3”

Or KAS3 for short.

I think I sent a google map link to our position earlier.

There is a typhoon nearby raising hell so the weather here sucks now. Cold 26 degrees and some brisk winds. The boat ride out today was fun.
Only 27 more days to go.... woohoo

Occasionally we see a floater. Fisherman usually. No need for Wilson at that point though.

Or KAS3 for short.

There is a typhoon nearby raising hell so the weather here sucks now. Cold 26 degrees and some brisk winds. The boat ride out today was fun.

Yes. You did post your position. If i remember correctly, only a few hundred miles off the equator. All very kewl.... And I would be fishing every time I wasn't working or sleeping.... lol...

Yes, but very expensive for every thing in Iceland

I just returned from 23 days in Costa Rica. First time there and doubtful Iceland is much more expensive. Beautiful country but I was surprised at the prices. Condo rental wasn't bad but eating, drinking and travel is out to lunch. A shame as they are taking advantage of a booming tourist industry more and more each year and that will eventually come back to haunt them.

Or KAS3 for short.

I’d be interested in how the ride down in one of those enclosed life boats is. I watched a YT vid showing a training drill. Looks like those hit the surface quite hard. I’d say you have one of the more interesting careers among the CCF Derek. Cool stuff you share with us.

Reactions: ddgermann
I just returned from 23 days in Costa Rica. First time there and doubtful Iceland is much more expensive. Beautiful country but I was surprised at the prices. Condo rental wasn't bad but eating, drinking and travel is out to lunch. A shame as they are taking advantage of a booming tourist industry more and more each year and that will eventually come back to haunt them.

Gas was over $2/ltr ,we stopped one morning for breakfast and it was $40. for bacon an eggs for the two of us

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
Ur
I’d be interested in how the ride down in one of those enclosed life boats is. I watched a YT vid showing a training drill. Looks like those hit the surface quite hard. I’d say you have one of the more interesting careers among the CCF Derek. Cool stuff you share with us.

Yes Mike you are correct on the life boats. Mine are not free fall like some. (Capt Phillips boat).
We have the davit lowered type. The speed of the fall is all in the hands of the Coxswain who is pulling the break release wire. So it can be lowered gently or pretty much as fast as gravity will allow (bad).
So again... you are correct adrenaline and bad decisions can make launching one of these boats very sketchy.
We test them every week and lower down both boats empty to just above the water.
I never put people in the boats for training unless the safety pendants are connected and the release override pins are in. Way too dangerous other wise.
Statistically abandoning a vessel via life boats is one of the more risky procedures here.

But if you’re needing to use a lifeboat.... likely worth the risk. ;)

Thanks for the tidbit on the lifeboats Derek. I wasn’t quite sure how you guys would launch those. Like Murray,I find this stuff so intriguing. Thanks again for sharing this stuff. One thing for sure,my lane closure pics are nowhere near as interesting as anything you can post. I’m almost embarrassed to post something after seeing your pics.

Yes. You did post your position. If i remember correctly, only a few hundred miles off the equator. All very kewl.... And I would be fishing every time I wasn't working or sleeping.... lol...
... and I would be fishing when the boss who posted the "no fishing" sign wasn't looking ;)

I never put people in the boats for training unless the safety pendants are connected and the release override pins are in.
... ;) ... except those caught fishing where "no fishing" signs are posted ... ;) ...

One thing for sure,my lane closure pics are nowhere near as interesting as anything you can post. I’m almost embarrassed to post something after seeing your pics.
... don't kid yourself Mike ... some just have desk jobs ... :Banghead:

Last edited:
Thanks for the tidbit on the lifeboats Derek. I wasn’t quite sure how you guys would launch those. Like Murray,I find this stuff so intriguing. Thanks again for sharing this stuff. One thing for sure,my lane closure pics are nowhere near as interesting as anything you can post. I’m almost embarrassed to post something after seeing your pics.

Interesting point Mike but the main goal of my job is to keep things boring. At least in your job you are moving around and busy keeping us safe from the less than gifted drivers out there. Where as I am trying to control things to prevent excitement and you are dealing with the excitement created by others.

A day riding around in your truck would be plenty exciting I think. :Biggrin:

Interesting point Mike but the main goal of my job is to keep things boring. At least in your job you are moving around and busy keeping us safe from the less than gifted drivers out there. Where as I am trying to control things to prevent excitement and you are dealing with the excitement created by others.

A day riding around in your truck would be plenty exciting I think. :Biggrin:

Fishing can be boring.... especially if you're not catching fish.... :rolleyes: