As per the manual page 9-51 ( at least in the 2014 version).
Fuel Use of the recommended fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance of this vehicle. To help keep the engine clean and maintain optimum vehicle performance, we recommend TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines. See www.toptiergas.com for a list of TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines.
Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. If the octane is less than 91, you could damage the engine and
may void your vehicle warranty. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher, the engine needs service. Use of Seasonal Fuels Use summer and winter fuels in the appropriate season. Driving or starting could be affected if the incorrect fuel is used. Drive the vehicle with the engine running until the fuel is a half tank or less, then refuel with the current seasonal fuel. Prohibited Fuels Gasolines containing oxygenates, such as ethers and ethanol, as well as reformulated gasolines are available in some cities. If these gasolines comply with the previously described specification, then they are acceptable to use. However, E85 and other fuels containing more than 15% ethanol must be used only in FlexFuel vehicles.

Reactions: ddgermann
Does GM recommend to use high test in our vettes? If not used does it nullify our warranty?

If your car recommends premium gas, should you use it?

As Smack mentioned it’s all in your manual. This changed slightly in 2017 for the Z06 recommending 93. Or 91 if unavailable.
Definitely not 87 in any C7 Z06 as engine damage and loss of warranty is mentioned.
Ethanol content max is 10% and that’s a whole subject on its own. 😀

Running C7s on only stand-alone premium shell v-power (not flying j) or co-op zero-ethanol premium. In the states pumps that have no ethanol premium signage.
Crossing “T’s” and Dotting “I’s” if/whenever a discussion needs it during warranty. The C7 has surprised me with mileage regardless so it’s not about a net saving of pump $$$. Beats the heck out of me driving my GMC.

Reactions: Dik and ddgermann
Why not Flying J?

Running C7s on only stand-alone premium shell v-power (not flying j) or co-op zero-ethanol premium. In the states pumps that have no ethanol premium signage.
Crossing “T’s” and Dotting “I’s” if/whenever a discussion needs it during warranty. The C7 has surprised me with mileage regardless so it’s not about a net saving of pump $$$. Beats the heck out of me driving my GMC.

Reactions: YFCvii
Assuming someone knows more about selling coffee, cigarettes and lottery tickects than they do about which stickers go on which gas pumps....
A few operators of stand alone shell stations know about the fuel they sell ... even people at a COOP station in the middle of nowhere Alberta knew and could assure me of what they sold. I have to assume Calgary’s flying j somehow may put ethanol in their Shell VPower because there’s a sticker saying so. I wonder why? Also wonder if other shell flying-j’s sport the same ethanol stickers on their pumps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dik and ddgermann
A few operators of stand alone shell stations know about the fuel they sell ... even people at a COOP station in the middle of nowhere Alberta knew and could assure me of what they sold. I have to assume Calgary’s flying j somehow may put ethanol in their Shell VPower because there’s a sticker saying so. I wonder why? Also wonder if other shell flying-j’s sport the same ethanol stickers on their pumps.

If the sticker is there I would expect it to be correct. Oddly enough the gasoline we use is not all created equal. Despite the precise processing and quality control it’s somewhat like whiskey. Even our cars are designed to operate in a range and not necessarily an exact. It gets more precise with high end racing fuels that are very exact in octane, additives and quality as these engines and tune setups require a more excact fuel to operate properly and safely.
Yes it is not often anyone working at a gas station knows anything about the fuel they sell anymore. Pretty much up to the car owner to do his homework now. Most cars it makes no difference... but Corvettes and other modern high performance cars... fuel quality and composition definitely matters.
I just find it amazing we can buy a 700hp car that runs on pump fuel today.

Although Shell and V-Power Signage, We found ... “Contains Ethanol” stickers on the pumps in Calgary ... and nobody could explain to us why when we asked inside.
If the sticker is there I would expect it to be correct. Oddly enough the gasoline we use is not all created equal. Despite the precise processing and quality control it’s somewhat like whiskey. Even our cars are designed to operate in a range and not necessarily an exact. It gets more precise with high end racing fuels that are very exact in octane, additives and quality as these engines and tune setups require a more excact fuel to operate properly and safely.
Yes it is not often anyone working at a gas station knows anything about the fuel they sell anymore. Pretty much up to the car owner to do his homework now. Most cars it makes no difference... but Corvettes and other modern high performance cars... fuel quality and composition definitely matters.
I just find it amazing we can buy a 700hp car that runs on pump fuel today.

I'm guessing that for some reason, that if the pump sticker is indeed correct, Flying J must follow some head office directive to utilize ethanol blended fuel. Ethanol is not added at refineries due to it's tendancies to separate easily if exposed to small amounts of moisture. This necessitates adding it somewhat close to the filling stations. So it could easily be feasible that Flying J head office directs their premium fuel to be ethanol blended upon delivery to the station, while actual Shell head office does not. Realizing the corrosiveness and other nasty properties of ethanol, I won't even consider using it to clean my paint brushes, let alone putting it in my fuel tanks.

I just put $50 of V Power in my daily driver and looked at the sticker. It says 10% ethanol for regular but none in V Power. This has me somewhat interested so I will be looking at the Flying J next time I go there. Couldn't agree more about how the modern technology still runs on pump gas...my 2016 Challenger Hellcat doesn't mind 91 octane one bit.

Shell V-Power here: 91 Octane - no ethanol. I've been using Chevron 94 octane forever; probably, a waste of money as I only drive around town. Thinking of switching to Shell?

We really like the V-Power Shell whether it being a placebo or not. My wife says her daily
driver is "happier" (and both driver and the daily driver happiness is a win for me) :joyful:
I love pulling the Corvette in with the Big Rigs at Flying-J ... but hate having to ask about the
Shell V-Power pump fuel sticker.
So stand alone Shell and CO-OP gets the Corvettes. The CO-OP beside a Costco here in YYC
gets my GMCs. The best non-Costco no-Ethanol price in town and with a year-end dividend kick back too.
I know this is really no big deal of course ... but talking about it gets me a vette-coin too :Smuggrin:

This signage in the USA is Corvette Happiness ...
in Bismark ND July 2018 with Ziggy & Jim & James
DSC_0289a.jpg

Last edited:
A buddy drives a tanker, and delivers to gas stations. He claims zero ethanol in our gas, due to lower gas prices. (when gas is high $$$, ethenol is cheaper).

Here's a good site for individual gas stations, Canada and US:
https://www.pure-gas.org
Awesome & Thank you ... there's a phone App to load that I can use on the USA trips :thumbs:
Loaded up on my iPhone and sure enough the nearby Flying-J is not listed :Watching:

... I just added a new thread under General Corvette Discussion for links like this one ...

Last edited:
I use co-op premium only in everything, get bulk delivered to the yard, basically only local bulk dealer left around here close so I support them. No ethanol in it. Shelf life is long, reg crap is only 90 days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.