OK, this is NON BG related...... on our mountain cruise this year we had one corvette need to do a washroom break some where before Banff. He was probably 10-20 miles back doing this and we did NOT know where he was till we seen him come up to us ( we pulled over to park and wait for him - unexpected stop )

On the app he could have said guys back on the road and where are you. No 5 watt radio will probably work for 20 miles.

Paul could have used the app in banff to say 3 vehicles got in between us... where is the next turn as some went the wrong way in Banff.

So, these are /can/could be issues with two way radios.... Paul and I had a super clear chat 150 km apart one night.

The app is a good idea even for local/mountain cruises

I do not feel guilty bring up the app in this thread.... just pointed out two issues that could have happened with the 5 watts on the mountain cruise this year

B

Last edited:
OK, this is NON BG related...... on our mountain cruise this year we had one corvette need to do a washroom break some where before Banff. He was probably 10-20 miles back doing this and we did NOT know where he was till we seen him come up to us ( we pulled over to park and wait for him - unexpected stop )

On the app he could have said guys back on the road and where are you. No 5 watt radio will probably work for 20 miles.

Paul could have used the app in banff to say 3 vehicles got in between us... where is the next turn as some went the wrong way in Banff.

The app is a good idea even for local cruises

B

This thread does not appear to be kiboshing a zero-cost App as an main-player nor it as an alternative.
When there is no service you have to admit it's not the one and only resolve :Topicclosed: therefore a 2-way choice/backup - hence this thread.

Last edited:
I think both could work together...... ( both have limits on how perfect they are or aren't as the washroom break mentioned above )

Why I mentioned it in this thread. I try give idea's on bettering things. I am use to "discussions" happening.... some get heated.

B

1. … both could work together
2. ...some get heated. B

1. of course as this has all been about having options - and back-up methods.

2. Only if intended … for taking my comments as "heated" would be taking them out of context …
all is intended to be constructive (as "heated" would be destructive).

… also realizing this may be a rather comical observation for a few …

Last edited:
The person referred to here (was not me) however I knew well to know that he was being
constructive toward an issue that he noticed as he drove by the entrance well in advance
of the trip. Not much was being disclosed about the Mountain Cruise (it was a rather
guarded secret). I took it that he wanted to make sure we would be OK and thought it was
actually a good observation. Yes, you were covered in this regard but so few knew.
I am impressed that he posted a like to your comment. :thumbs:

He just told me that he never even drove the road to Emerald Lake a week before and made those comments.

MAJOR TEXT, ROUTE AND PICTURE UPDATE DONE JULY 8TH.

stage3f.jpg

Approx 12 noon – arrive Emerald Lake visit for maybe 1-2-3 hour(s)

When we arrive we will be doing a one car at a time photo shoot at the bridge at the lake then you go park in hotel guest parking and walk or take the hotel shuttle.

Hotel shuttle would take back to front of the bridge were photo shoot is.... many people have to park on the road near the hotel guest area and walk... not that far. Some elders might like the shuttle.

2018 Corvette Mountain Cruise official thread - Aug 17-19th

Good Morning Brian,

My apologies for not being able to see you on Sunday. Thank you for bringing the group to Emerald Lake Lodge even with all the smoke. I hope your next tour is less smoky so your group can enjoy the spectacular scenery.

Please let me know if I may be of assistance in the future.

Enjoy the Day,

XXXXXX – Hotel Manager
Emerald Lake Lodge
Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts

Last edited:
Here are the 4 units and pricing - each unit price includes 2-way radio, antenna, belt clip & 110v charging base - Commercial Product - in a Factory Packaged Brown Box

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorola (Vertex Standard) VX-261 - splash proof - $270 each
Motorola (Vertex Standard) VX-264 - splash proof - with display - $320 each
View attachment 20030 View attachment 20031
260 Series are Commercial Products pricing includes programming for our Group

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorola (Vertex Standard) VX-451 - waterproof/submersible - $360 each
Motorola (Vertex Standard) VX-454 - waterproof/submersible - with display - $410 each
View attachment 20032 View attachment 20033
450 Series are Commercial Products pricing includes programming for our Group (waterproof and submersible up to 3ft deep for 30 minutes)
Built for Extreme Environments and Noisy Environments and Hazardous Locations and Military Ruggedness

Shipping fee (might be per unit)
AB - $8
BC/SK/MB - $10
ON/QC - $12
Maritimes - $14

Payment
Cash, E-Transfer, Cheque
CreditCard (may be available at an extra charge)
5% GST added

Should you be interested in this initial order you can PM me with the unit(s) and quantity you would like so that I can make sure the Supplier is prepared.
I hope this will help everyone to decide and pricing is not reliant on a bulk order :thumbs: (also please keep this thread on this 2-way topic from this point on)

BACK ON TOPIC AGAIN ...
I have placed my order.
Here is the Supplier Contact for you to work with one-on-one.
It's all the same pricing for one or more from the Supplier
Prices should include a wholesale discount of $50 per unit.

Anatech Technical Resources

Owner: Don Wilkat
email: [email protected]
Guaranteed - No licensing required
100% phone-in support and warranty
Many payment options & shipping

Last edited:
Looks like it has come down to a "preferred" brand/make for the two ways.
Mucho thanks to Jeffer, SN et al for hashing this out.
Now it is up to us to make a decision if we want the two way or not.
Looking at the specs I would say the higher end models (264/454/459) offer more group possibilities so that captains could be assigned a specific group with NO interference allowed from anyone else and then other groups be assigned for road travel/ chit-chat/etc. Might even be possible to set up groups per each road captain so that he could keep his herd together and informed.
I am going down with the Ontario group so I will check with them to see what if any arrangements have been made to keep the caravan fairly tight when travelling.
This has all been enlightening as to the possibilities to keep in contact along with the discussion about pros/cons of each method )Cell - Radio). Nothing is perfect so in some cases both might be the best way to go.
Up to each of us to make our own decision and then work together to keep the communications flowing.
Thanks for all the info.

These are preprogrammed.
5 channels with the same frequencies as the lesser priced retail devices but with an added privacy setting.
It was explained that this is why we don’t need a license as we are on public frequencies with these more powerful commercial grade units.

With the information above, you can contact Don on any specifics as I am not tuned well with the rocket science.
These units will also be programmed so that no two units (within range) can talk at the same time ... first come ... first serve.
It should avoid one of the drawbacks mentioned in regard to multiple chatter. Thinking that's pretty cool.

Last edited:
Mucho thanks to Jeffer, SN et al for hashing this out. Thanks for all the info.

Jeffy should get the credit for this idea :thumbs: He also found this supplier with real good products and options :thumbs:
I do agree that an option with more power is needed, therefore helped out as I live closest to the supplier.
Found it easy putting this info together for everyone to process and decide based solely on your own need.
Being thanked is definitely worth the effort and appreciation is returned.
It can go without saying too - as all are welcome.

Yes, this particular choice has an expense associated with it.
If your resolve is based initially/primarily on price it's at many retail stores for choosing.
You will be able to hear communication of these 5W units with virtually every retail option,
but you will need a retail product that can dial in a privacy code in order to talk (2-way).
Be aware that it is likely your range (distance) of your 2-way success will be primarily
based on the unit that you have in your Car.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann and Nik
… for those with continued with interest in Vertex Standard / Motorola 2-ways,
this link was sent to me today that may resolve a few questions - rather than me being third party to individual concerns …

Anatech Technical Resources FAQs

Vertex Standard & Motorola used to be competitors who marketed same/similar products
Motorola "bought out" Vertex Standard and provides warranty and continues to wholesale both Brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
..: attesting to the delivery of equipment from this supplier ... awesome 👍
... in a brown box ... no fancy retail packaging
... just like we are lead to believe of paying for what’s in the box and no retail glamour & packaging
... it arrived programmed along with an itemized receipt and 3 year warranty 😁...
D2CB0A2C-3B31-411E-BD90-18BA7B8CC2A6.jpeg
Bonus the display units can get a name programmed so we will be able to know which is whose ... 😁
AF22163B-A2FC-4F0D-83BA-F4418490E764.png
Has Channels 1-11 to work with others who have this Supplier's units
Has Channels 12-16 to work together and with retail units
(so retail units are 2-way that can dial the privacy setting to match 12-16)
(retail units can only listen to 12-16 if they can not dial privacy)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bixter44
OK ONE LAST CHANCE

CAN SOMEBUDDY pm me with Les Edmonton and the Camaro guy emails

then if you are tooooooooo busy to ask them if we can agree on a basic couple of channels to use

I WILL THEN ORDER MY RADIO,

I DO NOT WISH TO SEND IT BACK TO CALGARY TO GET RETUNED (reprogrammed to suit the Camaro guys wishes) and would like to get that sorted out,

Les said on the very last cruise to get one of you guys who regularly communicate with him to get him some info and I can email it if you would follow through

cannot believe it takes and order of congress to get simple stuff done,
maybe I need to buy a miata

anyone

OK ONE LAST CHANCE

CAN SOMEBUDDY pm me with Les Edmonton and the Camaro guy emails

then if you are tooooooooo busy to ask them if we can agree on a basic couple of channels to use

I WILL THEN ORDER MY RADIO,

I DO NOT WISH TO SEND IT BACK TO CALGARY TO GET RETUNED (reprogrammed to suit the Camaro guys wishes) and would like to get that sorted out,

Les said on the very last cruise to get one of you guys who regularly communicate with him to get him some info and I can email it if you would follow through

cannot believe it takes and order of congress to get simple stuff done,
maybe I need to buy a miata

anyone

Buy the Miata you lunatic.

Reactions: turbozig
guess we can just reprogram them if we need to, I offered to buy (they said they were buying offshore for 50 a piece) 4 or 6 radios to help with a group buy if needed, Ken could get ahold of Les but you know what, I got mine who cares about others, wait until spring and see what they wish to do about radios,
and you guys going to bowling green get your order in early

I am outa here

Jeff I appreciate you finding this supplier as I am actually very happy buying two radios to solve my problems
and not really to advocate to anyone else. This because a simple "caravan" of two corvettes from Cold Lake to Calgary
had it brutal with our cheaper Canadian Tire two-ways, accompanied by our iPhones losing connection many times.
The Motorola trial opportunity was simply awesome when communicating over hills and around mountains.
A real pleasure now … and so I Thank you Jeff.

I am getting ready to pull he trigger on purchasing a pair of the Motorola's. How many CCF people have purchased already? Any further testing and observations?

Reactions: YFCvii
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.