1. the 50 dollar ones for camaro trips are to be ordered and I will buy them. For camaro use only they only work for 1 km at best

2. Calgary don is where we should get the Motorola’s if we go,that way

3. the Motorola’s will work if we have 6 or more couples using them, if they are too expensive for some I understand

I need to hear 👂 and be heard when we get lost, bathroom or like in Banff we get disconnected by traffic lights
Makes the cruise a cruise and. It a cluster fxxx

More later large gate for criminals getting done as we speak. Jeff

Reactions: Bixter44
if poss could I get fellow who is suppling units info so I can get in..
this way when im stuck sledding in bc I can call Derek to come help dig us out.. we flatlanders spend just as much time digging out as ridding..

For sure Andy. I expect we will be getting a bunch of these so if course you can get in on this.

We just need to figure out who’s ram rodding the deal. 😂

Motorola seems to be coming out on top.
The phone app is nice where cell towers are in range and you are not too concerned about data plans.
Going over the top (Lake Superior) on my way to MITM I was often out of range of any cell tower for a couple of hours at a time. Seeing I was on a solo run it would not have meant much to have a radio either.
GLYMPSE did not bugger up my data usage either so I would presume that the app (On line Walkie Talkie) would be OK if you are not constantly in an "ON" position. I would see that app as a last resort when you can't reach anyone and you need guidance. The two way would win out for close proximity cruising as long as the formation is not too spread out. Even then as long as one is within range, within a couple of K's, then all is well.

So which model is winning out? Personally I would take with display.

Trying to get a local pricing but getting from AB would probably save me 10% PST (you lucky buggers) and get it programed for CCF

Everyone could have the app I found on for longer distances. Like when Paul got stuck behind 3 vehicles in Banff ( Tunnel Mountain ) and he lost us.... and I wasn't going fast there. it was a slow drive.

BabyRay promotes Zello, I have it downloaded but never tried it yet.

Those two way radios should have 1-3 km range on packaging and maybe 20-50km in optimal conditions... that is false advertising saying up to xx range

B

Everyone could have the app I found on for longer distances. Like when Paul got stuck behind 3 vehicles in Banff ( Tunnel Mountain ) and he lost us.... and I wasn't going fast there. it was a slow drive.

BabyRay promotes Zello, I have it downloaded but never tried it yet.

Those two way radios should have 1-3 km range on packaging and maybe 20-50km in optimal conditions... that is false advertising saying up to xx range

B

I have the app you have and agree it’s very clever and most times convenient.
However I personally prefer the radio for cruises. The Motorola is the most $ but you pay for what you get. I can’t remember the specs but testing showed they were very clear in sound and performed as advertised.

• Agree
Reactions: Bixter44 and YFCvii
Not much left to add here gentlemen. Certainly VHF is the best bang (and range) for your buck. Not sure if these were mentioned before but keep in mind there is a yearly license fee of about $40.00 if I remember correctly... a lot of commercial repeaters out there too which can extend your range miles and miles further. FYI though. it is illegal to program these yourself.

Not much left to add here gentlemen. Certainly VHF is the best bang (and range) for your buck. Not sure if these were mentioned before but keep in mind there is a yearly license fee of about $40.00 if I remember correctly... a lot of commercial repeaters out there too which can extend your range miles and miles further. FYI though. it is illegal to program these yourself.

Paul said he would check out the cell service on the bowling green route.

If is it all covered then doing the app with a privacy code for the group and a $7.99 one month no ads would be the best I think.

B

Already confirmed with the Motorola supplier and he assured we will not need annual fee licenses for these inclusive in the pricing supplier programmed Motorolas.

Your choice of course for bowling green but I no longer will fool myself with only a mobility communication method when in the USA when with two or more cars. It’s great when mobility works ... but ... Not only did we not have service in some parts, we also had service provider interruptions and conflicts. I’m not going anywhere now without assured communication as the mobility truly did fail us when we needed it ... and we only had four cars :Banghead:.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Well, the app could be good to also have... if someone gets stuck behind ( late, feeling ill or whatever ) they can use the app to let people know they are back on the road even if 30-50 miles behind... the radio won't work that far. ( two way radios have limitations too )

even if you don't pay the $7.99 for one month and just have it as an extra way to communicate... Paul and I chatted 100 miles way from each other and it was clear. Set up channel whatever and a password of bowlinggreen2019 or something...

Brian

Last edited:
Paul said he would check out the cell service on the bowling green route.

If is it all covered then doing the app with a privacy code for the group and a $7.99 one month no ads would be the best I think.

B
My experience with asking service providers if a specific route/territory is covered is that it is always "yes". Fairly useless to ask them. Ran in to that where I am located. The mobility company that my employer switched to said they had total coverage. I guess except for me! ha-ha Dropped calls/no service frequently. And I am only approx. 30K outside of Montreal as the crow flies.
Ask a question with a yes/no answer and the answer is always yes
If you are running a group outside of urban areas then radio is the way to go.
You have to decide on the price factor as we pretty well all have cell phones. Also how often will you use it? > $350 for a one shot trip is rather expensive. If you trip around in groups a fair amount then it is more justifiable as long as others
Just my 5 cents worth.
P.S, I couldn't put in for only 2 cents as there are no more pennies

• Haha
Reactions: Bixter44
Well, the app could be good to also have... if someone gets stuck behind ( late, feeling ill or whatever ) they can use the app to let people know they are back on the road even if 30-50 miles behind... the radio won't work that far.

even if you don't pay the $7.99 for one month and just have it as an extra way to communicate... Paul and I chatted 100 miles way from each other and it was clear. Set up a password of bowlinggreen2019 or something...

Brian
Agreed! The cell is a good option if you really fall behind such as mechanical issues (or a bad case of Mexican food)
It doesn't cost anything to have it available.

My experience with asking service providers if a specific route/territory is covered is that it is always "yes". Fairly useless to ask them. Ran in to that where I am located. The mobility company that my employer switched to said they had total coverage. I guess except for me! ha-ha Dropped calls/no service frequently. And I am only approx. 30K outside of Montreal as the crow flies.
Ask a question with a yes/no answer and the answer is always yes
If you are running a group outside of urban areas then radio is the way to go.
You have to decide on the price factor as we pretty well all have cell phones. Also how often will you use it? > $350 for a one shot trip is rather expensive. If you trip around in groups a fair amount then it is more justifiable as long as others
Just my 5 cents worth.
P.S, I couldn't put in for only 2 cents as there are no more pennies
Should have finished that sentence - as long as others also have a radio.

No arguing the phone will be one of the systems. Appears “cost” is the issue and I do believe I did mention this supplier had rental options for this top notch stuff. Three weeks of rental to BG will run you about $100 though.
I do believe Jeffy initiated this thread for the wild bunch who are always cruising together which 2018 had at least 4 Alberta events that totalled 16 days of cruising.
Found is also a Motorola Weather-proof submersible option for year round use ... hiking, boating, atv, snowmobiling (no cell service) ... and shopping Costco 😂
So never arguing that the app had its benefits ... as does Apple Car Play have benefits except that would cost thousands to get if one’s C-Gen predates 2016 .... 😖

Last edited:
If the radios last many years then the cost can work out to $20-40 a year.

Except I won't have one and that means if it is used on the mountain cruise next year I won't be part of the chats..... some might say that is a good thing ;)

B

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.