No doubt about it that we will have to adapt to the Cruise Organizer ... or the Channel can be dialed to these Motorola units for listening. 2-way can take place if the retail unit can set a privacy setting. I tested this all out with my Unidens and they were OK but not ideal through "the rocks" ...
One thing for sure is that the Front will be able to communicate with the Back with the 5W units and that is what ideally matters with a few others in the pack with one when the group is large (but we do shuffle around too as that is part of the fun - and awesome to watch from the back). ;)

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
you can rent them for the USA trip next year but maybe he only has 35 units to rent I have no idea but when they are all rented they are all rented,

if you are coming home with a group of 10 cars maybe rent them now

mine might be for rent at 25 a day so they are paid for by the time you return hehehehehehe

if we use them for 10 years and sell them for 100 bucks they are 15 a year for 4 cruises works out to be

4 bucks a cruise for peace of mind

JUST WANTED MOST TO GET THE SAME KIND SO WE CAN LISTEN AND PARTICIPATE WHEN WE WANT AS OPPOSED TO 16 DIFFERENT BRANDS THAT DO NOT COMMUNICATE BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMED FOR PRIVACY BY 6 DIFFERENT VENDORS

just trying to be helpful and not have to talk only to the wife 2 feet away all the time
she will be busy napping or eating popcorn

Jeff

Reactions: Bixter44 and YFCvii
you can rent them for the USA trip next year but maybe he only has 35 units to rent I have no idea but when they are all rented they are all rented,

if you are coming home with a group of 10 cars maybe rent them now

mine might be for rent at 25 a day so they are paid for by the time you return hehehehehehe

if we use them for 10 years and sell them for 100 bucks they are 15 a year for 4 cruises works out to be

4 bucks a cruise for peace of mind

JUST WANTED MOST TO GET THE SAME KIND SO WE CAN LISTEN AND PARTICIPATE WHEN WE WANT AS OPPOSED TO 16 DIFFERENT BRANDS THAT DO NOT COMMUNICATE BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN PROGRAMMED FOR PRIVACY BY 6 DIFFERENT VENDORS

just trying to be helpful and not have to talk only to the wife 2 feet away all the time
she will be busy napping or eating popcorn

Jeff
"Executive Decision" is made & justified by the thread owner Boyz @Jeffer2013 .... :cigar:

the supplier will be prepared to take direct orders with this initial run and any after that
5% GST only applies and shipping anywhere :canada:

Last edited:
Lots of reading and catching up to do on this thread! The Motorola's look to be the best bet for the money and has the option of rentals for thise who don;t wish to buy for the BIG trip next year. Spence put me down for 2 of the motorola's. We can call and talk about which model, plusses, minuses, etc.

the Walkie Talkie works very well and was impressed with quality of the communication. Thinking this will be the backup for around cities etc where we know there is cell coverage and ties everyone, husbands and wives together. That's only if they want to be.

"Honey, somehow the channel got switched so I stopped in that bar to see if someone I knew was there to give me the right channel............"

Sorry for hijacking with the app I found.

I just wanted to post what I found that is free. 5 or so wanting to buy right now is not many for a 80-100 car caravan. Ya, maybe more will get one next year.

Paul wants two... I guess you need to buy 2 if you wanna use them more as buying one is talking to yourself 11 months a year. So, that doubles the price to $700 or what ever it is.

B

I just wanted to post what I found that is free. 5 or so wanting to buy right now is not many for a 80-100 car caravan. Ya, maybe more will get one next year.
Paul wants two... I guess you need to buy 2 if you wanna use them more as buying one is talking to yourself 11 months a year. So, that doubles the price to $700 or what ever it is.
B
As mentioned it's truly is not a big deal …
I do see a purpose in initiating discussion for resolving the large BG Caravan next year …
however I am not going and there's no attempt on my part with Jeffy here
to set any precedence for the BG Logistics … nor am I suggesting they all spend $300 or more each
(nor the approx. $100 rental option).
What's in this for me? … Well I do find use for real good 2-ways year round … but I do realize that I have
to step up for weather/water-proof models that will handle our great outdoors.

Last edited:

B

Well Brian the rest of us actually want the radios for general cruises and year round use. Thus the title and subject of the thread is about a radio for “Cruise trips” not specifically the BG caravan.
I believe folks are tired of the poor performance from the cheaper radios and are simply trying to get together on a better option. The cost is well understood by those of us who want them and not really subject to a pointless debate about $/year.
If you don’t want a radio that’s perfectly ok as the app you found is working for you which is awesome.
Your app will not work for me in the BC back country or some other places the guys will be using them.
You fellas will have lots of radios and phones on your BG trip so these radios are likely not a must for that trip anyway.
I look forward to cruising and being able to hear clearly and communicate beyond the first bend or hill. 😂

Reactions: YFCvii and turbozig
You can count me in for 1 possibly 2 radios. I have been extremely busy lately and have not had any time to spend researching and comparing specs and features. Keep me posted guys, definately interested. How many do we need to order to get a quantity price break?

Reactions: YFCvii
You can count me in for 1 possibly 2 radios. I have been extremely busy lately and have not had any time to spend researching and comparing specs and features. Keep me posted guys, definately interested. How many do we need to order to get a quantity price break?
I am obtaining “all-in” pricing with programming and with a per unit discount. I will also get shipping rates and credit card use options for payment. The best thing is going to be same price regardless of whether purchased now or later in order so that we don’t need to collect a bulk order quantity. This supplier likes working with the end user too - warranty, questions, everything. Why? Well these items are commercial items that are not sold retail. They come in a brown box.

Last edited:
Here are the 4 units and pricing - each unit price includes 2-way radio, antenna, belt clip & 110v charging base - Commercial Product - in a Factory Packaged Brown Box

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorola (Vertex Standard) VX-261 - splash proof - $270 each
Motorola (Vertex Standard) VX-264 - splash proof - with display - $320 each
VX_261_G7_5_01_01.jpg EVX_264_01_03-1.jpg
260 Series are Commercial Products pricing includes programming for our Group

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Motorola (Vertex Standard) VX-451 - waterproof/submersible - $360 each
Motorola (Vertex Standard) VX-454 - waterproof/submersible - with display - $410 each
VX-451_front-2.jpg VX_454_G7_5_01_02-Copy.jpg
450 Series are Commercial Products pricing includes programming for our Group (waterproof and submersible up to 3ft deep for 30 minutes)
Built for Extreme Environments and Noisy Environments and Hazardous Locations and Military Ruggedness

Shipping fee (might be per unit)
AB - $8
BC/SK/MB - $10
ON/QC - $12
Maritimes - $14

Payment
Cash, E-Transfer, Cheque
CreditCard (may be available at an extra charge)
5% GST added

Should you be interested in this initial order you can PM me with the unit(s) and quantity you would like so that I can make sure the Supplier is prepared.
I hope this will help everyone to decide and pricing is not reliant on a bulk order :thumbs: (also please keep this thread on this 2-way topic from this point on)

Attachments

• VX-260_series_.pdf
    406.6 KB · Views: 7
  • VX-450.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
If you don’t want a radio that’s perfectly ok as the app you found is working for you which is awesome.
Your app will not work for me in the BC back country or some other places the guys will be using them.
You fellas will have lots of radios and phones on your BG trip so these radios are likely not a must for that trip anyway.
I look forward to cruising and being able to hear clearly and communicate beyond the first bend or hill. 😂

I am not going on the Bowling Green event so I don't really need one.

I gave the idea of cruises with cheap radios to have cars 1-8 on one channel. Channel 8-16 on a second channel with one relaying any messages on the second channel to the group. That eliminated static from those far away. If you move position you change channels.

Spence was only interested in the quiet channel so that is for a few announcements. not the bullshit / social channel.

Yes, this wouldn't work for 60-100 cars.... but would work for 15-20 or so cars for the mountain cruises.

If you guys are thinking of having strong radios with 60-100 drivers pressing the push to talk... you will have problems of having 2-5 people trying to talk at the SAME TIME and cutting each other out....... think on this.

The app tells you someone is communicating and you have to wait for the next chance....

Paul said he wants two..... guessing one is for me...... LOL

Yes, this app won't be as good in non cell areas ( our mountains ).... but I am thinking the whole route to Bowling Green will have cell coverage.

I am guessing maybe 30-60% of those going to bowling green will get one of the $300 ones... not sure.... time will tell.

It was an idea to save people money.... something to look into. You could have both going. One radio could be announcement and one could be social channel.

Well, you could have many channels with the Walkie Talkie app with password bowlinggreen2019 as the announcement channel and channel whatever and password bowlinggreensocial as the bullshit fun social channel.... you wouldn't need multiple radios for this.

If there is two people in most vehicles one could have the announcements app channel and the other the social channel app channel.

and even check out Zello and see how that app is. Not tried that one.

60-100 drivers ALL ( or a few ) pressing the talk button WILL cause issues of overlap. You have 2 people pressing at the same time and you will probably hear nothing. If you have 2 out of 100 cars talking at the same time you might have issues ( silence ).... everyone wants to press not knowing if someone else will press.

Spend $300-700 to find out on the way to Bowling Green too many are trying to talk at the same time..... and cutting each other out.... that will be a major FAIL for 20 days LOL The app tells you I think someone is communicating i think i heard a few times ... better the cutting each other out and not hearing no one!

I have planned car shows and cruises for 30 years now with many car groups/clubs...... you see cellular issues with the app ( yes, in our mountains, not to bowling green ) ... I see multiple people pressing to talk causing communications issues with 30-90 two radios on the same channel.

Even my idea of having 6-8 cars on one channel is better then having 20 or 100 on one channel... less people cutting each other out.

B

Last edited:
This thread is official radio ( should be best radio.... why I am mentioning this app ) for Corvette cruise trips....... not for snowmobiling in the BC mountains.

Buy your radios and see all the problems with too many people talking at the same time on the same channel on the way to Bowling Green! after day one you will have a drivers meeting saying too many people pressing at the same time....... maybe we should change to the Walkie Talkie app Brian mentioned ....... LMAO!!!!

I had one "idiot" on this forum say that I will have issues parking 20-25 Corvettes at Emerald Lake....... well, I had VIP parking ( and a shuttle to the lake ) arranged for 25-50 Corvettes if more showed. We had tons of parking.... we had room for 10+ more Corvettes in the next parking section over in the guest parking we got permission to park in.

I think you will have issues with 40-100 long range radios on the same channel talking at the same time..... do some thinking on this before the event happens.

We had maybe 8-12 radios with 15 cars on the mountain cruise..... I heard a bunch of times squelches of two talking at the same time...... and you guys will have 40-100 on the same channel.

Grrr.....

:rolleyes: time for bed!

Last edited:
This thread is official radio ( should be best radio.... why I am mentioning this app ) for Corvette cruise trips....... not for snowmobiling in the BC mountains.

Buy your radios and see all the problems with too many people talking at the same time on the same channel on the way to Bowling Green! after day one you will have a drivers meeting saying too many people pressing at the same time....... maybe we should change to the Walkie Talkie app Brian mentioned ....... LMAO!!!!

I had one "idiot" on this forum say that I will have issues parking 20-25 Corvettes at Emerald Lake....... well, I had VIP parking ( and a shuttle to the lake ) arranged for 25-50 Corvettes if more showed. We had tons of parking.... we had room for 10+ more Corvettes in the next parking section over in the guest parking we got permission to park in.

I think you will have issues with 40-100 long range radios on the same channel talking at the same time..... do some thinking on this before the event happens.

We had maybe 8-12 radios with 15 cars on the mountain cruise..... I heard a bunch of times squelches of two talking at the same time...... and you guys will have 40-100 on the same channel.

Grrr.....

:rolleyes: time for bed!

Awesome rant ... although a bit repetitive.

So how does this work now? You are right and I am wrong?

Lol I think not.

I have 75 people on radios going all day, everyday, on the ship and interestingly don’t have the talk over problem. That takes 30 seconds of training to overcome.

SMH

• Happy
Reactions: Bixter44
Yes … one thing true is that I am not an advocate nor an active participant on a social chit-chat 2-way channel when cruising …

So, 10 minute without communication is not much like you mentioned.

Paul told me with more cars on the BG trip longer range is a must. He was saying a better way of communication is needed. He said we have to find better radios for Bowling Green.

I heard the talk over problem with 8-10 or how many radios. it will probably be an issue with 60-100 cars. Time will tell.

B

Awesome rant ... although a bit repetitive.

So how does this work now? You are right and I am wrong?

Lol I think not.

I have 75 people on radios going all day, everyday, on the ship and interestingly don’t have the talk over problem. That takes 30 seconds of training to overcome.

SMH

I have always been bad for repeating stuff. LOL I actually went over the mountain cruise main first post a month or two before and took out stuff I repeated.

No one is wrong or right here.... I am just trying to point out that there probably will be issues with two ways if tons of people have them. Have people spend $10,000 ( 30 radios ) -$20,000 ( 60 ) on radios and run into this maybe for a major event

At your work people are working..... so probably less.

someone mention an idea on the radio to BG and 2-5 could respond to that idea at the same time...

It is good to point out possible issues with ideas...... what I am doing here. Am I correct or right.... I am not trying to be correct/right but when I noticed overlap with people speaking then I wanna point it out. This is just a pre planning point out for people to think about.

My thought would be maybe that 5-10 drivers ( Captians and main people ) on the Bowling Green trip have good radios and them be spread out between all the cars and the rest use the app......that would be a good plan. then you have the no cell service issue ( if there is ) covered and save 40-100 people buying radios ( if they want to ) and have this happen. What ever important announcements on the two ways get relayed to the other drivers via the app.

you have a social channel on the app that 50-90 drivers use ( that gets the odd important announcement ) and then that keeps your radio quiet Spence as you like it. That will stop the overlap of talking too.

B

Last edited:
Requesting to please keep this on-topic with a 2-way radio. We are not resolving WCCC logistics as I am not going on the trip.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.