Gilles, I think I deleted duplicate responses earlier. What I was saying is that in this case the selling dealer sold the car to a competitor being a Toyota dealership for 5K over MSRP. Then the Toyota dealership put the car up for sale for 15K over MSRP. The selling dealer also kept the $1500 70th anniversary luggage that was on the window sticker saying they never received it. It was later on in the production cycle that they ran out of luggage.
So did mine. Budds Chevrolet was supposed to have it and give it to me. They said it didn't come with it. However when I checked my build date it did. But I bought my car from Chrysler so I got jipped.

Yeah, this is what the luxury tax calculation says:

The luxury tax on the sale, importation, registration or lease of a subject vehicle priced or valued above the price threshold, or on subject vehicles valued above the price threshold held by a person ceasing to be a registered vendor of subject vehicles is calculated as the lesser of:
  1. the taxable amount multiplied by 10%
  2. the amount that results from subtracting $100,000 from the taxable amount and multiplying the difference by 20%
I initially flipped out on the luxury tax, which still sucks, but once I read up on it, it wasn't as bad as some stated.

Here's my E-Ray calcs so you are taxed 20% on the difference above the 100k mark and on top of that the amount of lux tax is taxed again with HST!!!!

1692210984875.png

This will make C8s rarer, now, in Canada. It will keep our cars at about the same price we paid for it , at least and probably more. In a way we Canadians shot ourselves in the foot by reselling at a profit by thousands. Dealers did the same thing , though ! They would sell a new C8 to a mechanic , lets say , then buy it back and increase the price by 30 to 40 % , as a used one !!! GM was bound to get in on the action but I agree with others , here , saying more profits overseas. I thought I got taken , when they forced me to take the Z51 package that brought my Vette to 108,000$, from 99,000$ or skip my turn but now I am way too happy, with this package and for the price also, which for some reason turned out to be 106,435$.

Terrible news. First the initial 2023 Z06 pricing comes out, more than expected, based upon comments made by the GM C8 engineers 👎, then Canada gets 50% or less of its usual C8 allocations👎, preventing people like me from getting a (now) "lower priced" 2023 Z06👎, then after waiting all this time (almost 3 years so far)👎, I get the "privilege" of paying what will likely be $20,000+ more (once freight and PDI are factored in) to more likely $25,000+ more (once accessories are included, which accessories will no doubt see increases as well) 👎and THEN, add on the federal luxury tax for a vehicle over $100,000.00, which will now tack onto whatever the increase is. For Canadians, a 2024 Z06 nicely optioned out, will likely be around $250,000.00 all in and that's for someone like me in Alberta who pays the lowest provincial sales tax in the country, at 5%. It'll be worse for buyers in other provinces, who must pay 10% or more for provincial sales tax, and (heaven forbid) an additional provincial luxury car tax for buyers in BC. Imagine what a BC buyer will now have to pay.

Let's look at the actual numbers.

I'd priced out the Z06 I wanted at $197,084 + taxes (including freight and PDI), using 2023 Canadian pricing. That works out to $217,132 including all taxes for an Albertan, using 2023 Z06 pricing. That's by not purchasing all accessories I can easily tack on later, to avoid the luxury tax. So I'd have about $220,000 into the car once the other accessories have been tacked on later...and that's before paying for PPF and ceramic coating (likely about $230,000? in total, into the car, with PPF and ceramic).

Now add another $25,000 plus associated taxes (making it another $28,875 more) and you get $246,007 or about $260,000 all in (with all accessories and PPF/ceramic). How to you spell "D-I-V-O-R-C-E"? Bad enough to convince a spouse w/o the additional $30,000+. Not funny. Not welcomed. Not expected. It may result in a change of plans. The Lotus Emira with its standard transmission, is suddenly looking all the more interesting. Yes I know it's a completely different vehicle compared to the Z06, however aside from its more desirable sports car stick, lower gas cost and better looks, and a much more "rare" unique look compared to the ever-increasing numbers of C8's on the road, its price (even after an increase) makes it all the more affordable and more easily justified to an angry spouse who fails to see the attraction of any sports car...

Well done GM. Oh and make sure us Canadians will be blacklisted if we deign to sell a C8 Z06 into the States within our first year of ownership (compared to the double-standard of 6 months for US owners looking to sell with a warranty), even with these Canadian higher prices, which make it less likely anyone will want to do that except Canadian dealers and their friends who'll get a discount on their 2024 Z06's...but they won't have to worry since any repercussions against dealerships by GM appear to be totally non-existent despite the highly publicized (at the time) January 2022 letter from GM's North American president Steve Carlisle...

All this should be appropriately described as: "GM throws open the door and greedily welcomes buyers of exotic high-end cars, thumbing its nose at their traditional Canadian Corvette base, with the new and increased 2024 C8 Z06 pricing in particular."

Good move GM and thanks (NOT)! 👎 👎 👎 👎 👎 (of a possible 5 thumb rating)
You spell divorce “Z06” lol.

Your reply was spot on. To top it off the cost of financing has gone up also. I’ll be interested to see what sales do in Canada. Glad I’ve got a loaded C8 right now. Looks like my resale will go up. They were starting to drop a bit but now it will likely climb a bit. Unless supply increases due to people not buying new. Time will tell. The C7 Z06 prices have recently climbed a bit again. Cars below $100,000.00 pretty much don’t exist based on my search yesterday.

Marissa West is appointed GM Canada President and Managing Director, effective April 2022, reporting to Steve Carlisle, Executive Vice President and President, North America.
I believe GM Canada is being told what to charge from Corporate and that would probably be the response.
Just sent Marissa an email, if I get a response I would suggest hammer time.

Hey guys we all are upset with these increase nd some say that they are subsidies coming to Canada but you have to remember we make a ton of GM products in Canada that ships to the US that they make a fortune on going back across the border. We can argue the numbers but it looks pretty simple to me, looks like we will be paying for the upcoming strike and I can honestly tell you this is my 6th and last corvette and will never buy another GM product again. I am the guy that buys 3 new cars every two years and GM will never see a dime from me again. I will most likely go to the Jag f type P 550 I almost pulled the trigger last year but decided to stay with the C8 looks like a easy decision for next year. JMO

I did a 2024 build at my dealer yesterday and the Riptide Blue and is $995. No charge on US sight

It's normal for the buyers in the US not to be charged anything extra, for most of the different C8 exterior colours. Another "Canadian advantage" is Canadians being charged for different colours, contrary to our US counterparts. It's been that way for the start of the C8 line (and perhaps before that for prior generations?).There's absolutely no reason for this difference, other than a "cash grab" from Canadians, when all C8's are produced at the same factory, plus the paint colour doesn't cause the car to weigh more or certainly not enough to cause increased ship costs to Canada. For example with the 10 available colours for the 2023 Stingray:

-Canadians are charged extra for 6 of them; US buyers are only charged extra for 4 of them;
-US buyers only pay US$500 to $995 for those 4 colours; whereas Canadians pay an extra Can$995 to $1,495 for those 6 colours.

Any suggestion that Canadian colour pricing (a 50% to 99% increase, respectively) has any basis in the US/Can exchange rate, is laughable. Having said that, there are a few options that have lower Canadian prices, compared to their US counterparts. It makes no sense. But all of these price differences pale in comparison to the recent/historically out-of-whack Canadian prices announced for the 2024 C8's.

Anyone had a order that was/is going to be price protected at 2023 pricing? If so how does that work?
If your dealer got a June or July allocation for a late 2023 model and a production date in August or September for a 2023 you are price protected. Any allocations this month are for a 2024 model and will be subject to the new pricing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.