Casual User
Feb 3, 2020
Montreal, QC
VetteCoins
Car
2023 C8 Red HTC
Province
QC
First time corvette owner to be here. I wanted to ask if it is okay to have a deposit with more than one dealer given the waitlist?

One dealer mentioned they don't take any deposit and wants to place an order? Does that mean I am stuck with this dealer or it can be cancelled prior to having an allocation (it's still a year wait with them as well).

Thanks! 🙏

Thanks! How would it work with the dealer not asking for any deposit? Assuming I am on the waitlist with their email confirmation.
If it's a reputable, honest dealer then they would just put you on their waiting list and match you to an allocation when it arrives or ask for a deposit when it gets close. I suspect that their list is long and you are well down it so they don't want a deposit yet.

Reactions: Maximus74
If it's a reputable, honest dealer then they would just put you on their waiting list and match you to an allocation when it arrives or ask for a deposit when it gets close. I suspect that their list is long and you are well down it so they don't want a deposit yet.
Currently number 31. They are promised 20 by GM for 2021 so it will be 2022 for me but spot number 11.

Got it, thanks for the advice.!
No worries, Let the buyer beware as the say. Because of Covid the dealers are getting monthly numbers, but that is it. GM has doubts about parts so can't promise anything. Dealers can guess at their allocations as they are (were) based on past sales, but with covid everything is up in the air. Good luck either way. Now that I know what I know, I'd just go with a large dealer. Which I happened to have done. Lucky for me I got good advice. Large dealers see their lists shrink as people pull out and you can drop quickly to a lower number. The largest Canadian dealers sell about 100 per year.

Reactions: gone and PapaSmurf
Those larger dealers (100 per year) are in Ontario. Where I'm from in Alberta, the "larger" dealers get 20 to 30 C8 allocations each year. I'm not sure what the larger dealers in Quebec get so Rhue would have to call around to ask about the number of 2020 C8 allocations received last year...and how many 2021's so far this year...and what the dealer(s) are expected for more 2021 allocations. Many dealers will tell you they're hoping to get at least the same number of 2021 allocations that they received in 2020. No one knows for sure, given the unknown situation with COVID causing interruptions with the parts supply. Another option depending upon how determined you are to get a 2021, would be to consider dealers in other Provinces although it sounds like the (truly) larger dealer in Ontario have long lists already and it may be unlikely you'd get a 2021 from any of them now. But that's something you should check into. I recommended a Forum member (crazylegs) talk to my Calgary dealer (Capital Chev) who got around 25(?) C8's last year. He did, placed a deposit in January and just received an allocation a couple of days ago and put his order in. That's about the fastest I've heard anywhere and I know some of that was because of people dropping off the list, likely due to financial concerns with the Calgary economy being depressed. Plus it's a good dealer so it doesn't bring a car in to sell itself at increased profit, when a customer drops off the list. Plus it only sells at MSRP. The downside to ordering a C8 from a dealer far away, is the cost to transport the car home (about $1,000?) but you may think that worth it to get your C8 sooner. So like Murray said, you can move up quickly on a list if others in front of you change their mind and drop out. Moral of the story: do your homework, ask around and the time you put in researching dealerships may pay off and with multiple deposits with a few different dealers, it may save you another year wait. Good luck!

Reactions: Rhue
Those larger dealers (100 per year) are in Ontario. Where I'm from in Alberta, the "larger" dealers get 20 to 30 C8 allocations each year. I'm not sure what the larger dealers in Quebec get so Rhue would have to call around to ask about the number of 2020 C8 allocations received last year...and how many 2021's so far this year...and what the dealer(s) are expected for more 2021 allocations. Many dealers will tell you they're hoping to get at least the same number of 2021 allocations that they received in 2020. No one knows for sure, given the unknown situation with COVID causing interruptions with the parts supply. Another option depending upon how determined you are to get a 2021, would be to consider dealers in other Provinces although it sounds like the (truly) larger dealer in Ontario have long lists already and it may be unlikely you'd get a 2021 from any of them now. But that's something you should check into. I recommended a Forum member (crazylegs) talk to my Calgary dealer (Capital Chev) who got around 25(?) C8's last year. He did, placed a deposit in January and just received an allocation a couple of days ago and put his order in. That's about the fastest I've heard anywhere and I know some of that was because of people dropping off the list, likely due to financial concerns with the Calgary economy being depressed. Plus it's a good dealer so it doesn't bring a car in to sell itself at increased profit, when a customer drops off the list. Plus it only sells at MSRP. The downside to ordering a C8 from a dealer far away, is the cost to transport the car home (about $1,000?) but you may think that worth it to get your C8 sooner. So like Murray said, you can move up quickly on a list if others in front of you change their mind and drop out. Moral of the story: do your homework, ask around and the time you put in researching dealerships may pay off and with multiple deposits with a few different dealers, it may save you another year wait. Good luck!
Appreciate the advice! Can you PM me your dealer info? I don’t mind paying $1k for shipping.

I put a deposit with Spencer and currently #94. They have 43 allocations expected for 2021 models so I will be #51 with delivery in 12 months for a 2022 model.

larger dealer in Ontario have long lists already and it may be unlikely you'd get a 2021 from any of them now.
I doubt many, if any dealers, can get a 2021 at this stage, but you never know. I've seen weirder things happen

Appreciate the advice! Can you PM me your dealer info? I don’t mind paying $1k for shipping.

I put a deposit with Spencer and currently #94. They have 43 allocations expected for 2021 models so I will be #51 with delivery in 12 months for a 2022 model.
Spencer have 43 allocations at this point, but should receive more in the next months... so there's a possibility for you to get a 2021.

Reactions: Rhue
Spencer have 43 allocations at this point, but should receive more in the next months... so there's a possibility for you to get a 2021.
That is a huge difference. If they have just received 43 now, with at least another 3 months of allocations and dropouts there could be a 2021 in his future. It might easily be a car this year regardless of MY.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.