Featured Thread
It is interesting to see what kind of mileage these things are actually capable of... That's really the only reason we try them in eco... We need gas, we buy gas, we burn gas.... Doesn't matter a bit what it costs..... We will still drive our Corvettes...

It is also incredible just how much fuel these cars will gulp down as well. My Z06s can suck the premium back like a Hummer when I get into it a bit.

Just got an idea for a new thread.... worst mileage contest. Will need some PDR footage with those posts... ;)

Good grief it is know wonder Al Gore and Neil Young hate you C7 guys. Lowly C5Z. I had no idea it would go this fast in 6th gear cranking the starter motor over. Electric Car.
IMG_5795.jpg

Last edited:
It's fair to say that most fuel saving features such as afm/DoD, start stop in some cars and the classic skip shift are there purely to dodge the gas guzzler tax and to effectively legally cheat on some fuel economy tables. Most can be disabled fairly quickly with an inexpensive tune update. I don't have any actual feedback from anyone who has had them deleted about an increase in fuel consumption.

Summary, use them or don't use them, likely they will not make a difference.

It's fair to say that most fuel saving features such as afm/DoD, start stop in some cars and the classic skip shift are there purely to dodge the gas guzzler tax and to effectively legally cheat on some fuel economy tables. Most can be disabled fairly quickly with an inexpensive tune update. I don't have any actual feedback from anyone who has had them deleted about an increase in fuel consumption.

Summary, use them or don't use them, likely they will not make a difference.

I have had two corvettes now that supposedly have had the skip shift.... I still have the little in-line electronic gizmo that came with my C6 to eliminate that 1st to 4th shift... never put it on... never needed it... And have never experienced a skip shift on the C7 either... Not even sure what the complaint is unless you shift like my grandmother... and she's been dead for 20 years, rest her soul....:rolleyes: just sayin'.......

Reactions: ddgermann
I have had two corvettes now that supposedly have had the skip shift.... I still have the little in-line electronic gizmo that came with my C6 to eliminate that 1st to 4th shift... never put it on... never needed it... And have never experienced a skip shift on the C7 either... Not even sure what the complaint is unless you shift like my grandmother... and she's been dead for 20 years, rest her soul....:rolleyes: just sayin'.......

The skip shift on my 13 Z06 was really intrusive if you were doing even a reasonable take off I found. The manual warns not to force the car into 2nd gear when it flags up the 1st to 4th message citing damage to the transmission.
It took a while to find the amount of pedal to reach the rpm that bypassed this "awesomely annoying" feature in the C6.
Both C7 Zs the 15 and the current 17 have it but it is way less aggressive. A normal take off doesn't engage it nearly as much I find.
It's like the C6 version was basically pushing you to take off more aggressively.
I tried the 1st to 4th a couple of times and it just sounds and feels so wrong... kind of Prius wrong. ;)

I should leave this thread alone, but I've been drinking so I'm gonna post anyway.

I need to find my photos to show the actual mileages of my car (which of course will be different from yours), but you wankers showing 6.7 L/100 or lower are simply resetting your switch on the highway and taking a picture right away. I can fake that bullshit too, but I'm going to call you on it instead. Same deal goes for all you waffles that are calculating your mpg based on an imperial gallon. Stop it! You are NOT getting 38-42 mpg.

Now.... in reality, these cars are definitely capable of easily achieving high 20's to even low 30's mpg.

Last summer I didn't reset my mileage meter but twice. I don't really care what kind of mileage the car gets, it's all about the smiles per gallon. I do specifically remember resetting the meter on the highway at Airdrie on my way to Forestburg where I drove around town a bit and then did four 1/8th mile runs against a Hellcat Charger, and at least three runs against Tin's LS3 Vette, and I might have done a couple of other fun runs but I don't remember. When I got back home, my average mileage was 9.2 L/100.

Again, let me state that I do not care what kind of mileage my Vette gets. Fuel mileage was the last thing on my mind when I purchased any of my sports cars and other toys, but it really does continue to surprise me what it can achieve. Given the power that it makes, the mileage is simply remarkable. My TA actually gets fantastic mileage, too!

My rolling average over the last five years with the Vette is around 8.4 L/100, and the average of soiled underpants is closer to 11/10 (I've scared myself, even).

My Cadi with a 3.0L 24V DI V6 with VVT averages 10.1 L/100. The Fusion with a 2.0L Turbo 4 gets around 9 L/100. My best car average so far was my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX with a 2.4L 16V 4-cylinder that made about 185hp and got about 7.8L/100 with a 6-speed manual so that I could shift it at 2k.

It's no joke that my Vette gets the best gas mileage (especially per horsepower or displacement) and the best smiles per gallon. Of that, I'm sure we can agree.

While I'm at it, I might as well go ahead and voice my opinion about CAGS and cylinder-deactivation too.

CAGS (Computer Assisted Gear Selection) is redundant to the fact that I chose a manual transmission to begin with, so it was the first mod to disable it. *I* will decide which gear to be in at any given time, thank you. I often do 1-2-4 shifts, or 1-3-5, or whatever i choose. 1-4 does NOT save gas.

Cylinder deactivation is also stupid. It sounds good in theory, but those deactivated cylinders are still connected to the crank and don't have a choice but to move anyway. Why not give them a spark anyway and let them do what they are supposed to do? Think about it. The pistons still have to move. The valves still have to move. The cylinders still breathe in (air and oil from PCV and bypass), and out, but don't get to burn on every cycle. How is this more efficient? Clearly, it isn't. Wonder why your C7 barks black when you plant it? I don't. That is exactly why.

While I'm at it, I might as well go ahead and voice my opinion about CAGS and cylinder-deactivation too.

CAGS (Computer Assisted Gear Selection) is redundant to the fact that I chose a manual transmission to begin with, so it was the first mod to disable it. *I* will decide which gear to be in at any given time, thank you. I often do 1-2-4 shifts, or 1-3-5, or whatever i choose. 1-4 does NOT save gas.

Cylinder deactivation is also stupid. It sounds good in theory, but those deactivated cylinders are still connected to the crank and don't have a choice but to move anyway. Why not give them a spark anyway and let them do what they are supposed to do? Think about it. The pistons still have to move. The valves still have to move. The cylinders still breathe in (air and oil from PCV and bypass), and out, but don't get to burn on every cycle. How is this more efficient? Clearly, it isn't. Wonder why your C7 barks black when you plant it? I don't. That is exactly why.

Awesome rant!

I didn't reset my mileage as the car was brand new when the pic was shot. But I'm happy being a "wanker" but "waffle" I take exception to.
Cylinder deactivation despite the annoyance for some is far more sophisticated than your simplistic description. And it does increase my mileage according to the cars information and driving by the gas stations instead of pulling in.
The 1-4 thing is truly annoying so I agree fully with you there.
Next time tell us how you really feel and don't hold back so much. Haha.
:ROFL:

That's was the best laugh I've had in weeks.
Thanks man.

Wow, me thinks I have been "painted with the same brush" but I am fortunate to have been weaned by the
closest of family to understand while not taking anything that follows "... I've been drinking ..." personally. :Shy:
I confess to being naïve by being impressed in a small way with the pretty displays when I updated my ride to this fancy performance sports car. :Woot:
I even had to accept learning to push a button now instead of turning a key. :bucktooth:
To now fill up with gas without removing a gas cap. :Shrug2:
Unable to break my habit in need of a sense of security by hearing the multitude of beeps as I walk away wihile
continuously pressing the lock button on my key fob ... just in case the car did not lock. :nailbiting:
But above all, I appreciate each and every one on the CCF for accepting the "best" of my attributes
... by accepting my light-hearted reasoning when posting my vanity plate in response
to the author of this thread and for his first message posted on page #1
yyssw1.jpg
... oh wait ... that was me :Banghead:
Cheers !

Last edited:
Wow Jordy.... It's been a while since you went on a rant .... :rofl:

One thing this wanker/waffle/whatever will explain to you is the last 100km average.... last 100km average is just that... it's not the last 3 second average... so yes... If someone is only showing you instant fuel mileage, rant away... but if they show you both, you still don't know if they feathered the pedal for all 100km but you do know it is an average of their last 100k...

As far as the imperial mpg .... You've been on this one before...... Sorry.... I grew up thinking imperial, and I faintly remember a bunch of other Canadians that chimed in on this rant the last time that also grew up thinking thinking imperial...... and before you go off again on how all the real motor-heads all think in American....well.... I never did consider myself a motor-head... I just like to drive my cars...JMOFO :thumbs:

By the way.... here's my best AND my 100km average once again.... no. Not the 6.7 you took to task but PFG nonetheless.

finally-a-run-jpg.10334

Oh you guys - letting your cars do all the hard work for you! Lets see..

When the gas gauge is close to empty, fitty bucks gets me to town and back 3 times. That's about 4.5 hrs of driving. My abacus says she gets about 13mpg. Ish. 14mpg with the top down!
... hey I just realized the heads up display on this one shows the odometer too ...
:bucktooth:

image_jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
It appears you gentlemen get better mileage them my old 1990 ZR-1 at 70mph only get 20 mpg highway driving. Modern technology does make a difference.
Yup ... and at the same time ... we don't like change ... love old-school.
(going to a 4-cyl mode drive might have something to do with our mileage too ... so we do cheat)

Reactions: Cruzin
Tour mode is as tame as I will go in the mountains. Eco is a waste of time as it just continuously cuts in and out....
What one does in his own Corvette ... :thumbs:
... thankfully no one does the "slow pace" thing up to traffic lights when we cruise eh ?
It would be rather funny (and bigger nuisance) seeing a Corvette Driver do it huh?

Reactions: Cruzin
It has been pointed out to me by my farming cousins that the imperial gallon is dead. It isn't used for anything anymore. The only gallon that still lives on is the little American Gallon. So if my dashboard says 28, I am happy with that. I don't have to convert it to 33.5 to feel any better. And I am old enough that the liters/100 km crap will not display on my dash. I am glad there is a quick push button for that. I haven't been drinking so I will leave the wanker and waffle stuff alone.

I wonder how many Canadians have their cars defaulted to MPH.... Would make an interesting conversion to how long it's going to take to go somewhere.... 223 km and I'm averaging 52 miles per hour.... and 28 miles per gallon... and I just stopped for fuel and put in 63 litres of gas....o_O

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread