Featured Thread
Ziggy... that's pretty amazing... Did you have a 100km downhill grade? Car was upon jack stands?.. 2 cylinder eco mode?.... lol....Great mileage man... Best I've ever accomplished is 7.2

Cruise set to 114 km/h in sport V8 mode, mostly flat terrain I believe. Coming home frome BC I kept my foot out of it alot more than the way there with the exception of some fun passes. The trip there along with all the cruising in BC I was not concerned about milage, I ran 94 octane throughout however. Here are the trip home totals, along with the complete trip picture once I pulled into my driveway. Fuel total expense was approximately $265 for the 3200km trip. How many smiles per gallon is that?
20170811_180254.jpg
20170811_180242.jpg

Here is the break in mileage on the new Z. Not too bad. I see all the C7s are running close. Being green and moving from the C6 to the much greener, environmentally friendly C7 was something I felt I just had to do... you know...for the planet.
:bigtongue: Yes...flat highway
IMG_6299.jpg

Derek, am I reading this wrong. The fuel gauge says almost full but only 399 kms to empty? Or it that as high as the reading goes? In other words could you drive a considerable distance and that number does not change?

Seems low but maybe not. How many litres does the tank actually hold?

Bit of dust on the steering column. Have you no shame.:Biggrin:

Reactions: ddgermann
Yes Murray I should be flogged for that dust. However it's likely skin from the peeling i'm going through from the incredibly 4 layer deep burn/tan I came home with last night. (HER: "honey put on some sunscreen.... ME: naaa sunscreen is for pussies and makes my drink slip out of my hand") I've go DNA all over that car now man. (ok that just sounds wrong but I'm not changing it)
With the KM to empty I noticed that on my 15Z as well. Once you come out of the city and put it in cruise the thing slowly starts adding on more and more KMs to the range distance. I once gained over 100 KMs after fueling and leaving Hinton when I slipped the car into E mode.
Although this car sucked some fuel today. Only a couple little quick starts..ahhem..burnouts and 110 cruise mostly and it gulped half a tank in 172 kms.
:Shrug2:

IMG_6304.PNG
IMG_6305.PNG
IMG_6306.PNG

Last edited:
I'd be curious what your last 100 km fuel consumption average was Derek....

Here a photo of the average fuel consumption this morning Eric. This is city from the dealer to downtown 120ish Km highway and back through St Albert to downtown again. Started out with a full tank at the dealership in Sherwood Park. So the last 100km would be 70ish highway and around 30 city. I am also running in cruise on the highway but switching regularly between 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th to do a decent break in. This system lets you shift and retains the cruise setting. (cool feature)

Notice it's in "touring" mode now. That way when I start it in the garage I do not wake up the entire household. :Pistolsmiley:
The Chevy App is pulling identical numbers out of the car when I compared this morning again.
IMG_6311.jpg

Reactions: Rruuff Day
This was yesterday Derek. Filled up and re-set when I left Red Deer, up to Edmonton via Hwy 2A, then down to the Viva Italia festival down by the Colosseum, then back home on the QE2. My average bumped up to 10 with the city driving, then I found something really interesting.
When I reached the QE2, I set the cruise on 127 and switched to Eeeek mode. Kept checking and noticed my average wasn't dropping, even though it was flipping back and forth from 8 to 4 cyl..... About Wetaskiwin, I wondered if, at that speed, if the efficiency of it disappears when it's switching back and forth so much. So I flipped it up to Tour and within about 2 minutes, it started to drop on the average and progressively dropped all the way to Red Deer until I got home and to what you see in the picture. So I'm thinking, by that exercise, that using the Eco when you're cruising at higher speed (in this case 127) uses more fuel than if you stay in Tour or Sport.
Out of interest, I used exactly 3/8's of a full tank to Edm and back... didn't clock the km but it would be right around 400 km. A few leave a traffic light shots and a few passing surges on the highway but mostly steady cruising...

upload_2017-8-28_8-49-46.png

This was yesterday Derek. Filled up and re-set when I left Red Deer, up to Edmonton via Hwy 2A, then down to the Viva Italia festival down by the Colosseum, then back home on the QE2. My average bumped up to 10 with the city driving, then I found something really interesting.
When I reached the QE2, I set the cruise on 127 and switched to Eeeek mode. Kept checking and noticed my average wasn't dropping, even though it was flipping back and forth from 8 to 4 cyl..... About Wetaskiwin, I wondered if, at that speed, if the efficiency of it disappears when it's switching back and forth so much. So I flipped it up to Tour and within about 2 minutes, it started to drop on the average and progressively dropped all the way to Red Deer until I got home and to what you see in the picture. So I'm thinking, by that exercise, that using the Eco when you're cruising at higher speed (in this case 127) uses more fuel than if you stay in Tour or Sport.
Out of interest, I used exactly 3/8's of a full tank to Edm and back... didn't clock the km but it would be right around 400 km. A few leave a traffic light shots and a few passing surges on the highway but mostly steady cruising...

View attachment 11062

Eeeko, shmeeko, use that V8 as it was intended I say!!!!

Actually Zig, the nice thing about Eeek mode is when you push the go pedal, the response back to 460 horses is instant..... but obviously theres no sense using it over 110...

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Actually Zig, the nice thing about Eeek mode is when you push the go pedal, the response back to 460 horses is instant..... but obviously theres no sense using it over 110...

I switched mine over to ECO once this year for about 5 minutes to see if it functions, and that was good enough for me. I'll keep it in V8 only mode with my stick. When I feel the need to drive a 4 cylinder, I borrow the wife's Honda CRV.

View attachment 11062

That's some pretty darn good mileage for a high performance sports car Eric!
With my last C7 Z06 the Eco mode actually worked pretty good in 7th on a flat highway. Stayed in 4 most of the time showing ridiculously low numbers. On a more hilly highway (yellowhead between Edson and Hinton) I was better off in 6th gear running at the same 119 kph. It stayed in 4 mode much more and was delivering great mileage.
I will try and get some real data from the 17 on my next excursion showing the different scenarios. I'm hoping for a few good fall days in late September/early October when I get back from Asia.

I switched mine over to ECO once this year for about 5 minutes to see if it functions, and that was good enough for me. I'll keep it in V8 only mode with my stick. When I feel the need to drive a 4 cylinder, I borrow the wife's Honda CRV.

It does seem weird to be driving a Corvette and even thinking about gas mileage Ziggy. But it is fun to see just how efficient these cars can be with the high torque mixed in with the good aerodynamics.
I read the cylinder deactivation was forced on GM to allow the production of the high horsepower cars in today's regulatory environment for fuel economy. Better this than a lower performance detuned engines. Even though the US buyers are still paying the gas guzzler tax on Corvettes.
One annoying thing for many A8 owners is the system is live in all modes except the full on race settings I believe. Where the M7 owners only have this feature engaged in Eco mode. There are cheat modules you can buy to override the cylinder deactivation but... bye bye warranty.
The system is very intricate mechanically and electronically and is highly engineered to respond within 250 milliseconds to be a seamless transition from the drivers perspective. However there are huge forum threads on this subject with some complaining bitterly about the hesitation and in some cases a puff of smoke changing from 4 to 8 cylinders.
As you can see I have time on my hands. Sitting in Hong Kong for the next 6 hours waiting for a flight now.
Can't think of a better way to burn up the time than obsess on everything Corvette! ;)

Best I ever saw in my C6 (2005 Z51) was 33 US MPG (7.1L/100). That's calculated using the trip odometer and liters put in. My vehicle read-out was consistently pessimistic when it came to mileage. Most tanks I had were in the 9L/100 range (26mpg). That's running 8 cylinders all time, not 4 like you C7 guys :p

Best I ever saw in my C6 (2005 Z51) was 33 US MPG (7.1L/100). That's calculated using the trip odometer and liters put in. My vehicle read-out was consistently pessimistic when it came to mileage. Most tanks I had were in the 9L/100 range (26mpg). That's running 8 cylinders all time, not 4 like you C7 guys :p

That's some pretty impressive gas mileage for a V8 sports car. One just doesn't know about this until you own one as people simply assume a Corvette is drinking up fuel.
Kind of like my H1. Most people think these trucks eat up fuel... but it gets slightly better mileage than one of Mikes mining trucks. Yay...
It gets 12 mpg on a good day... and no I do not give a @hit as it is so much fun to drive. :Cheers2:

It is interesting to see what kind of mileage these things are actually capable of... That's really the only reason we try them in eco... We need gas, we buy gas, we burn gas.... Doesn't matter a bit what it costs..... We will still drive our Corvettes...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread