Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2021
VetteCoins
Province
AB
Hey everyone.

I recently took my C8 in to a local GM Service dealer to get something looked at and my PDR recorded a conversation that the mechanic had with a colleague talking trash about me, saying things like I don’t know how to use the car (*at least I know how to use the PDR 🤫), then he got interrupted and the proceeded to rant about the issues I brought forward.

Question is: would you go back to the dealership and confront them? Or just don’t go back? Or ignore it and continue going there?

It’s frustrating because you hear about stories like this all the time and I never thought it would happen to me. It also adds to the stereotype that you can’t trust mechanics.

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
Hey everyone.

I recently took my C8 in to a local GM Service dealer to get something looked at and my PDR recorded a conversation that the mechanic had with a colleague talking trash about me, saying things like I don’t know how to use the car (*at least I know how to use the PDR 🤫), then he got interrupted and the proceeded to rant about the issues I brought forward.

Question is: would you go back to the dealership and confront them? Or just don’t go back? Or ignore it and continue going there?

It’s frustrating because you hear about stories like this all the time and I never thought it would happen to me. It also adds to the stereotype that you can’t trust mechanics.
I would show the general manager the video and ask for an official response. Without appropriate response move to a different dealer. Let them know that without satisfaction that the video may end up on social media.

Reactions: Dik
I'm definitely an "in your face" kinda guy because dealing with a multitude of service departments over the years will do that to you! Basically I know all the tricks and I know what they're going to do before they even do it. Depending on the circumstances surrounding this I'd confront the dealer OWNERSHIP with the video. Go straight to the top so the people who write the cheques know what's going on. But that's just me....

It was a private conversation or at least they thought as much. If it didn’t affect their work product I’d do nothing about it, other than go to a different dealership if you found it sufficiently personally offensive. Corvette mechanics aren’t easy to find, especially these days with labour shortages, so it’s unlikely the dealership will do much, unless the mechanic’s work product is compromised. The key IMO is their workmanship (first) then (second) whether you can trust the dealership for future work. I say this based upon the limited facts you’ve provided.

It was a private conversation or at least they thought as much. If it didn’t affect their work product I’d do nothing about it, other than go to a different dealership if you found it sufficiently personally offensive. Corvette mechanics aren’t easy to find, especially these days with labour shortages, so it’s unlikely the dealership will do much, unless the mechanic’s work product is compromised. The key IMO is their workmanship (first) then (second) whether you can trust the dealership for future work. I say this based upon the limited facts you’ve provided.
You summed it up quite well.

That’s pretty much my thoughts.

In this case, they resolved the issues I was having.

I was merely curious to know other’s opinions on the subject.

Reactions: PapaSmurf
1st It is probably illegal to record a conversation without permission of those being recorded unless you are part of the conversation. I think the PDR has a warning about that.
2nd I am really surprised your PDR could pick up a conversation. Doesn't the PDR only record with the engine runnnig? In that case both techs would have to be sitting in the car? If they knew anything they would turn PDR off.

1st It is probably illegal to record a conversation without permission of those being recorded unless you are part of the conversation. I think the PDR has a warning about that.
2nd I am really surprised your PDR could pick up a conversation. Doesn't the PDR only record with the engine runnnig? In that case both techs would have to be sitting in the car? If they knew anything they would turn PDR off.
It's only illegal if there is an expectation of privacy. This area there is none of that.
Yes, the car has to be running (or in accessory mode) for the PDR to be recording.
Again, thes techs should be well aware of the PDR in a Corvette or they are not Corvette techs. Either way it's a reason to go elsewhere!

My intention wasn’t to record the service techs, I just enabled auto record for my PDR as a precaution for when I drive on the road.

As for the recording of the conversation, the tech had the windows down and was fixing my HTC as I had an error when opening the top. Yes, the car was running at the time (for some reason).

Either way, based on netsinah’s comments (and my initial thoughts), it didn’t affect the workmanship of the job being done. I’m just going to store this away and leave it for now.

Thanks all for your comments.

Reactions: Dik
It's only illegal if there is an expectation of privacy. This area there is none of that.
Expectation of privacy is not waived based on location. Consent is required.
Section184 of the Criminal Code
private communication means any oral communication, or any telecommunication, that is made by an originator who is in Canada or is intended by the originator to be received by a person who is in Canada and that is made under circumstances in which it is reasonable for the originator to expect that it will not be intercepted by any person other than the person intended by the originator to receive it, and includes any radio-based telephone communication that is treated electronically or otherwise for the purpose of preventing intelligible reception by any person other than the person intended by the originator to receive it; (communication privée)

184 (1) Every person who, by means of any electro-magnetic, acoustic, mechanical or other device, knowingly intercepts a private communication is guilty of
  • (a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or
  • (b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.
My interpretation of private communication is that if the techs are "talking trash" about a client, there is an expectation of privacy.

Expectation of privacy is not waived based on location. Consent is required.
Section184 of the Criminal Code
private communication means any oral communication, or any telecommunication, that is made by an originator who is in Canada or is intended by the originator to be received by a person who is in Canada and that is made under circumstances in which it is reasonable for the originator to expect that it will not be intercepted by any person other than the person intended by the originator to receive it, and includes any radio-based telephone communication that is treated electronically or otherwise for the purpose of preventing intelligible reception by any person other than the person intended by the originator to receive it; (communication privée)

184 (1) Every person who, by means of any electro-magnetic, acoustic, mechanical or other device, knowingly intercepts a private communication is guilty of
  • (a) an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years; or
  • (b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.
My interpretation of private communication is that if the techs are "talking trash" about a client, there is an expectation of privacy.
Then having your dash cam on in a parking lot would be illegal. The mens rea is knowingly and in a place with an expectation of privacy. An open conversation in an area frequented by the public and caught unknowingly on a PDR does not meet the definition. In fact the PDR was started by the technician, who started the car in the first place, and he/she left the recording for the owner. Your eyes and ears cannot be "trespassed".

Status
Not open for further replies.