This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

HTC roof issue

Mar 28, 2024
VetteCoins
Car
2021 C8
Province
ON
Little off topic…what issues with HTC did you have and what would not have been covered? Thanks
I have a 2021 HTC and on the passenger side the wire cable snapped so the top will not close properly. You can see it snapped apart where it was spot welded. It looks like a real easy fix. Anyone else have this happen?

Attachments

• IMG_2095.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Had the same thing happen on my 2022 HTC. The cable assembly needs to be replaced and should be covered under your warranty. Use a zip tie to hold the end cap in the retracted position. This will allow the roof and engine cowl to close properly while you wait for your dealership to complete the repair. I had to wait for a couple of weeks for the part to come in.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I have a 2021 HTC and on the passenger side the wire cable snapped so the top will not close properly. You can see it snapped apart where it was spot welded. It looks like a real easy fix. Anyone else have this happen?
Very common problem. I don't see as much chatter on this site for the issue, but lots of posts on the US Corvette Forum for this issue. Definitely seems to be a Design flaw, and it's been happening since C8 was launched. Very disappointing that GM hasn't corrected the problem and issued a Bulletin for all HTC owners to bring in, instead of waiting for the cable to snap, and usually at the most inconvenient time. It's definitely covered under warranty, but from what others have said, GM is just replacing the cable with the exact same one (no improvement), so I'm thinking the replacement cable will also break eventually, and probably no warranty when that happens.....GM, please do better and fix this problem using a stronger cable......So far, (knock on wood), my 23 HTC is ok, but my zip ties are in the frunk waiting to be used, but hopefully not!!!!

It’s not a “very common problem”. Just because it happens doesn’t mean its common

It’s not a “very common problem”. Just because it happens doesn’t mean its common
I dunno, if it happens more than 10 times there is something wrong. And I'm sure I've heard of it more than 10 times.

Reactions: butsy and 1st Vette
even if it happens 100 times it is still not "very common" when there is close to 180,000 C8 Corvettes out there
Still too many! There should be one at most!
And if 50 are reported then there was likely 500 had it happen. That is way too many to be just a fluke.

Reactions: carbuff
Facts are a better argument then speculation ...
Would be pretty inconvenient if it happened in rush hour traffic. New mechanism used only on one vehicle for now 5 model years. Might be good for the life of your ownership but then again… I’m happy with my coupe but to each their respective opinion.

Denis, not sure if you follow the Corvette Forum (US) site, if you don't like the word 'common', then let's just say there are quite a few people that have and still have this problem happening....Obviously more HTC owners have no issues vs the one's that have had a problem, but it's happening way to often. Cables shouldn't snap in the 1st couple yrs of ownership. (I think we can all agree on that!!)

Reactions: carbuff
I dunno, if it happens more than 10 times there is something wrong. And I'm sure I've heard of it more than 10 tim

even if it happens 100 times it is still not "very common" when there is close to 180,000 C8 Corvettes out there
LOL...Denis, are you the designer??? or just like to disagree with everything....Don't take is personal...
Do you agree that a cable shouldn't snap within the 1st couple years of ownership?? This is a problem that has affected many people and needs a Design Change issued....

Thanks for the info.
I was thinking how long will the other cable last?
And I agree this is a design flaw by GM and needs to be fixed by making a stronger cable.

After reading into this a little more, not sure if this is an issue with 2023 and newer.

The German company Webasto AG (founded 1913) that supplies and designs these type of complex roof enclosures for Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus and well as our beloved cars, etc.
They have apparently changed their sub supplier of the cabling around the late 2022 model year. Only time will tell if this has cured the problem, but it was estimated that failure happened in about 0.02% or less of all C8 HTC's made 2020-2022.

Regardless, mine is under warranty until 2031 so I will use it without worry, but will be packing at couple of cable ties in the frunk.
My friend has the Coupe so I have been in both, but I would not have purchased this car if the Coupe was my only choice.

Reactions: butsy and DenisC8
My friend has the Coupe so I have been in both, but I would not have purchased this car if the Coupe was my only choice.
I challenge that statement! LOL!
This car is a lot more than a convertible. Convertibles are available in many cars and is merely an option.
C'mon I assume you've driven the car for a while. It's one of the better cars in the world for the price. You like it just because it's a vert?

FN right this car is more than a convertible! This car is awesome, and handles roads and conditions that I would have been in the trees with my old Viper, but it is not as much the convertible aspect that would have prevented my purchase of the C8 coupe if it was the only option, it is the roughly 2.00" of extra head room in the HTC for my 6'5" frame.
And just enough room to also accommodate a helmet when I get this on track.

Other than that it would probably been a GEN 5 Viper.
I was lucky enough the dealer had both C8's for me try sitting in before I put my money down back in 2022.

0.02% is not common. There seems to be a group of people some who don't even own a C8 that make loud statements that C8s have "very common catastrophic issues" such as engine failure from cylinder deactivation, DCT failure if you look at your car the wrong way, the HTC roof failure that happens to everybody on the US forum. There are also people who will claim that C8s have horrible body gaps, paint quality, and dealer experience. Hell there are even few people who will tell you that C8 overheat under normal conditions and require extra fans installed so they don't burst into flames.

Thing with the internet is you get what you search for: there are 100,000 posts that the C8 has been problem free ownership experience, but if you search for "C8 HTC failure" or "C8 DCT failure" you will get 100s of posts that report those issues and 1000s of posts of people repeating those issues without experiencing them on their own cars.

now, OP reported that he has this HTC failure twice of 2 different C8s, and this should be investigated closer. OP i wonder how often you operate your HTC while the car is moving?

Reactions: 1st Vette