Hell there are even few people who will tell you that C8 overheat under normal conditions and require extra fans installed so they don't burst into flames.
They should try driving a Viper....then they will have a whole new meaning for what hot can be like. I took the C8 out for a hard drive a couple of weeks ago in 36-38C temperatures and this C8 HTC runs cooler by far then the Viper from a radiant heat perspective.

OP i wonder how often you operate your HTC while the car is moving?
This manual says that you can do while moving, but it does recommend whenever possible to do it with the car NOT in motion.

Screenshot 2024-07-03 105936.png

it is the roughly 2.00" of extra head room in the HTC for my 6'5" frame.
And just enough room to also accommodate a helmet when I get this on track.

Extra 2", didn't know that. I hope that comes up on Jeopardy tonight lol...

Denis, not sure if you follow the Corvette Forum (US) site, if you don't like the word 'common', then let's just say there are quite a few people that have and still have this problem happening....Obviously more HTC owners have no issues vs the one's that have had a problem, but it's happening way to often. Cables shouldn't snap in the 1st couple yrs of ownership. (I think we can all agree on that!!)
HTC (Hard Top Convertible) failures in the C8 Corvette appear to be a recurring issue, though it's difficult to quantify their exact prevalence without comprehensive data from GM. However, several forums and user reports suggest that these problems are not isolated incidents.
  1. Cable Failures: Multiple users have reported cable failures that prevent the convertible top from operating correctly. These failures often result in a loud binding sound and the top not completing its movement. This issue has been reported across different model years, indicating a potential design flaw.
  2. Operational Errors: Some owners have experienced the top stopping midway with a "Top not secure" error message, which can only be resolved by manually operating the top from inside the vehicle.
  3. Closing Issues: There are also reports of the top not fully closing or making contact with other parts of the vehicle during operation, sometimes without any error messages being displayed.
  4. Parts Availability: A significant concern is the availability of replacement parts. Some users have noted that Chevrolet often lacks the necessary parts to fix these issues promptly, leading to extended repair times.
These reports suggest that while not every C8 Corvette HTC owner experiences these problems, they are common enough to be a concern within the Corvette community.

corvetteforum.com

gmauthority.com

corvetteforum.com

corvetteforum.com

Watch

Video Preview

Reactions: butsy
HTC (Hard Top Convertible) failures in the C8 Corvette appear to be a recurring issue, though it's difficult to quantify their exact prevalence without comprehensive data from GM. However, several forums and user reports suggest that these problems are not isolated incidents.
  1. Cable Failures: Multiple users have reported cable failures that prevent the convertible top from operating correctly. These failures often result in a loud binding sound and the top not completing its movement. This issue has been reported across different model years, indicating a potential design flaw.
  2. Operational Errors: Some owners have experienced the top stopping midway with a "Top not secure" error message, which can only be resolved by manually operating the top from inside the vehicle.
  3. Closing Issues: There are also reports of the top not fully closing or making contact with other parts of the vehicle during operation, sometimes without any error messages being displayed.
  4. Parts Availability: A significant concern is the availability of replacement parts. Some users have noted that Chevrolet often lacks the necessary parts to fix these issues promptly, leading to extended repair times.
These reports suggest that while not every C8 Corvette HTC owner experiences these problems, they are common enough to be a concern within the Corvette community.

corvetteforum.com

gmauthority.com

corvetteforum.com

corvetteforum.com

Watch

Video Preview
Thanks for the info. My car goes in next week to get the tension cable replaced was a 3-5 business day leadtime for the part.
I will continue to drive the car with the top down only and or cable tie the bracket if the weather does not co-operate and I have to close the roof.
I read that GM changed their supplier of the tension cables in 2023, so hopefully the problem is resolved? My bumper to bumper warranty expires this August. I have the " plus" extended warranty for an additional three years, bought from Don Le, not sure what components are covered on the HTC?

Reactions: butsy and 1st Vette
0.02% is not common. There seems to be a group of people some who don't even own a C8 that make loud statements that C8s have "very common catastrophic issues" such as engine failure from cylinder deactivation, DCT failure if you look at your car the wrong way, the HTC roof failure that happens to everybody on the US forum. There are also people who will claim that C8s have horrible body gaps, paint quality, and dealer experience. Hell there are even few people who will tell you that C8 overheat under normal conditions and require extra fans installed so they don't burst into flames.

Thing with the internet is you get what you search for: there are 100,000 posts that the C8 has been problem free ownership experience, but if you search for "C8 HTC failure" or "C8 DCT failure" you will get 100s of posts that report those issues and 1000s of posts of people repeating those issues without experiencing them on their own cars.

now, OP reported that he has this HTC failure twice of 2 different C8s, and this should be investigated closer. OP i wonder how often you operate your HTC while the car is moving?
I can't find the 'block' button....lol
whatever, Love my car, and like this site for the most part as sometimes there is informative info....

Reactions: DenisC8
I can't find the 'block' button....lol
whatever, Love my car, and like this site for the most part as sometimes there is informative info....
The C8 is so great that there are very little problem/solution threads on this forum, this is why most threads are about PPF/ceramic coating, extended warranties, maintenance plans, voiding of warranties and just random unrelated comments now that everyone who was ready to buy one, did.

The C8 is so great that there are very little problem/solution threads on this forum, this is why most threads are about PPF/ceramic coating, extended warranties, maintenance plans, voiding of warranties and just random unrelated comments now that everyone who was ready to buy one, did.

All these threads are valid if this was the 1st car that they ever bought. Observing the demographics here, probably not. I have come to the conclusion that some people want other people to do the "Google" leg work for them. And don't even think about posting anything negative within said mentioned threads...

All these threads are valid if this was the 1st car that they ever bought. Observing the demographics here, probably not. I have come to the conclusion that some people want other people to do the "Google" leg work for them. And don't even think about posting anything negative within said mentioned threads...
Lazy is primarily defined as:
  1. Disinclined to activity or exertion; not energetic or vigorous
  2. Unwilling to work or use energy; indolent or slothful
The term can be used to describe people, actions, or even things:
  • A lazy person avoids work or exertion, often preferring idleness .
  • Reluctance to put in effort or take on responsibilities
  • Tendency to procrastinate or avoid tasks
  • Lack of motivation or drive