May 24, 2015
VetteCoins
Car
1978 Corvette
Hi there,

I did a search on this forum for previous post on removing the factory radio and I didn't get anything from C3's

I removed the passenger's side carpet at the bottom of the console and I see the radio with no problem.

The reason I am doing this is because I replaced all speakers with Delco ones and the front speaker on the passenger side was never connected. The speaker was there and the clip was on the connection but no wires.

So I looked in the speaker hole for the speaker wire and I cannot see it.. So I need to remove the radio and follow the front right speaker wire and look to see where it is..

Anybody here remove the factory radio and took some pictures?

Hey Sly...
I have a '75 and to get the radio you have to remove(or at least loosen up) the centre gauge cluster.
Four small horizontal screws into the pass & driv side dash panels, a screw(or two) at the top dash pad, and two nuts fastening the cluster to the shifter centre console. The lower nuts are tough working in a small space.
The radio is a tight fit between the gauge cluster panel and the trans tunnel.

The speaker wire should be up in the dash near the pass. side speaker..?
DELCO radios have a 'delcotron'(?) that is an outboard part of the radio.. It is probably located up behind your glove box.
Have you checked there yet?

This info is based on my '75..I haven't removed a radio from a newer interior design in the '77-82 models.

Shop manuals and assembly manuals will show your specific circumstances.
If you are planning to keep this car forever you should order those books.
But until then we're here to help..
Actually we'll even help after you get the books..LOL
good luck.
graham

I will check the wire behind the glove box. I do have the shop manual for the 1978. It was the first thing that I checked and it's not that great at explaining how to do it..

The two side carpeted covers were all I needed to remove on my '79, which is identical to your situation. Removing the tuning/volume knobs allowed access to the nuts holding the posts to the console. At the back of the radio was a metal strip that attached to the back of the radio with an nut - needle nose pliers loosened this up. Once the wiring harness was unplugged, the radio slid out, not easily, but it did come out.

In your case however, I might try in behind the glove box and try to locate the wire back there. If you indeed have a wiring diagram, you'll get the wire colour you're looking for.

Good luck.

Well I removed the glove box plastic and I looked for the speaker wires and I couldn't find it.. I saw a relay and a small box and that's it.. I will try to locate the speaker wire from the radio unit and see where it goes.. I removed the left section of the carpet on the driver's side and I noticed the wire was re connected in a shitty way..

Attachments

• IMG_20150719_152426.jpg
    IMG_20150719_152426.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20150719_152704.jpg
    IMG_20150719_152704.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20150719_152709.jpg
    IMG_20150719_152709.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20150719_152743.jpg
    IMG_20150719_152743.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 140
The orange box is the delay timer for your interior lights, These are notorious for eventually dying, and causing a parasitic drain on your battery. Removing the module, and jumping the two white wires on the connector will allow your interior lights to turn on and off immediately once the doors are opened and closed. According to my wiring diagram, the following wire colours correspond to each speaker.

Left Front = Tan + Grey

Right Front = Light Green + Dark Green

Left Rear = Brown + Yellow

Right Rear = Light Blue + Dark Blue

The rear wires might not be present, if the car wasn't ordered that way.

Well I removed the radio and let me tell you that the previous owner is not smart..So 3 weeks ago I replaced all 4 speakers. The rear speakers was setup improperly.. He cut the right rear speaker wire right off and connected the right rear speaker with the left rear speaker.. not sure why but what an idiot.. So I removed the factory radio and I found the missing speaker wire I was looking for.... instead of putting the speaker wire back to the front right speaker he just put black electrical tape on each wire instead?? WTF.

Oh yeah check this out.. I wrote a topic how my gas gauge is giving me an inaccurate reading, The gas gauge is moving constantly side by side. I looked at the back of the gauge cluster since I want to replace all the light bulbs and I saw someone attempt to repair the printed circuit board. Look at the picture.. lol. I just ordered a new replacement from Eckler. Some people are so freggin cheap.. I would of bought a replacement the minute I saw a problem..Instead he soldered a wire to bypass a burn.. This car is not a cavalier It's a corvette!!! the printed circuit cost like a full tank of gas.. lol Geez

Attachments

• IMG_20150721_193453.jpg
    IMG_20150721_193453.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20150721_194808.jpg
    IMG_20150721_194808.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Thanks, I bought couple of parts from Eckler's Corvette since I am slowly restoring this Corvette to factory new.. I bought a new Center Instrument Cluster Bezel, Center Instrument Cluster Lens, New fuel gauge, new clock, (not cheap) brand new Seat Belt warning lens, Center Instrument Cluster Lens, All new light bulbs, Low Fuel/Generator Instrument Lens, Front and Rear new Speaker Wiring Harness to replace the cut wires.. New Corvette Console Gauge Printed Circuit and a new ashtray.. lol

This is how it should of been done from the start... replacing the parts not trying to save money and being cheap and dealing with electric issues.. Do you know how much I hate not finding out how much gas I have left. lol

This is just the begining. I have a big wish list of things that I need to buy. The first big thing is replacing the seat belts.. They don't retract anymore.. :)

Looks like you are putting some good work into your car! That is quite hilarious with the fix on the print board! Man o man, some people just like dealing with electrical issues instead of fixing them......:D

Yesterday I received my new paper printed circuit and some other goodies such as a new ashtray and new fuel gauge and there is more on the way..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.