mens-pants.jpg

My father worked for Phillips early in his career and brought home an experimental colour tv. It didn't have a case.
I remember being the first person I knew with a colour tv. Back then we didn't even get to see the first period of hockey. We had to watch the "Juliet Show" and the game was joined in progress at 9pm. Games started at 8:00 back then.
Wasn't Don Messer's Jubilee on the evening's viewing schedule?

• Love
Reactions: 1st Vette
Wasn't Don Messer's Jubilee on the evening's viewing schedule?
It was definitely on my families schedule. My whole family were/are musicians and I grew up (save the comeback Jack) watching Don Messer's jubilee and the Tommy Hunter show. I think in those days every family in Nova Scotia was watching.

• Agree
Reactions: 1st Vette
I don’t recall if the first tv I saw was black and white or colour. It was a “ console “ type with the tv in the middle and a turntable on one side and an AM radio on the other. Colour tv broadcasts began in Canada in 1966 although probably not very common to have a set then due to the high cost of them . The “ Juliet Show “ was definitely before my time although it does ring a bell for some reason perhaps hearing my parents talk about it. The first program I recall being aware of was Ed Sullivan which ran from 1948 to 1971 .

View attachment 123888
We had a Philco-Ford colour TV at around 1967-1968. Dad was a Ford hourly employee. He got it to watch the NASA launches and eventually we watched the moon landing, although most of the moon stuff was black and white and gray by default.
Pretty basic, not a console, had to buy a stand that could support the weight, it was heavy.
Manual on/off, volume, and channel controls 2-13 + UHF.
A few years later, after I entered the workforce I bought myself an RCA colour TV, same deal needed a stand for it.
It had a wireless remote that could turn it on/off, raise lower volume, and change the channels, physically, up or down with a servo built into the channel dial. Rabbit ears and a UHF loop. Like watching Jurassic TV. It could pick up Toronto and Buffalo channels.

It was definitely on my families schedule. My whole family were/are musicians and I grew up (save the comeback Jack) watching Don Messer's jubilee and the Tommy Hunter show. I think in those days every family in Nova Scotia was watching.
Ah, the memories. Had forgotten about Tommy Hunter. ;)