I will be making Vette videos, but not until mine is fixed.

anyways i got behind the lower panel and did not like what i saw. wires everywhere that run up the steering column. even if i did get the VAT wire out, getting the new one in would be an epic adventure that i dont want to take. first video explaines.

then in the second video i found a possible issue. one of the ignition rods is kinda loose. not sure if its the cause of the jammed cylinder but im thinking im not going to be a happy camper to find out the answer.

videos below

Steve. It look worst than it is. The flasher swith is in your way, I used to tie a long piece of steel wire to the connector at the end of the flasher switch and pull it out then with the wire pull the new one in. You dont even have to take it out completly if I remember right, just enough to make the swith itself out of your way, then you can acces the cylinder lock bolt, pull it out and wiggle it's harness, then you can identify the right harness for the vat. I checked in my manual and I if am not mistaking, they call it '' key resistor sensor terminal'' and the collor of the wires (2) should a brown and a yellow. They should be small wires. Check this video, this is exactly how I do it

About your rod, I am pretty sure they are normal

Good luck

About your rod, I am pretty sure they are normal Good luck

This is the part that i was actually hoping to hear. theboss your an amazing source of info for this car. i cant thank you enough. when i saw the loose rod i was slapping panels back on and getting ready to call the dealership.

but i will give it even more effort when i go back in. it may not be for a few days since its going to be +30 all week and work gets in the way.

the good news is that the blank keys with the correct vats code have arrived. now im just waiting for the key lock cylinder

so i now have the new ignition cylinder, a new key copied from the master key that came with the cylinder and we are almost ready to change this all out.

i had to go to a chevrolete dealer to get the new vats key cut but he didnt charge me anything. ironic because a lock smith said it would be expensive to get new keys made,

i talked to the chevy guy at the dealership about this issue with my c4 and he said...... its the key cylinder. without hesitation. we will see

new vats key with the correct key code cost me $20 on ebay and cost nothing to have copied at the dealership. interesting. kudos for a lock smith trying to rip me off hard core. but didnt succeed

i went out full force today in +30 heat to get this done. after 2 minutes in a targa top with no power... i said screw it. i was sweating in less than 2 minutes.

sooooo, i will make a video on sunday when i can do this in the morning before the sun hits noon.

stay tuned

The problem was the cylinder. i got a new vats key cut and got the old cylinder.

getting the new cylinder in wasnt to difficult. getting the wire back down through the steering column wasnt going to happen. and yes i tied it to a rope before pulling the wire out. but i just didnt feel like messing around with threading things. my solution was shall we say..... unique.

iphone video below... CAUTION: i did some swearing in this video and i had my finger over the mic for a little bit. it was +37 in that car and i had been working in it since 5am. so im cranky....lol

my future videos will be made much better

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Stevie!!!
Kudos to you my friend.
Your sticktuitiveness has paid off.!
A couple of well placed words probably helped.
I think that walking away a couple of times and coming back helped get you thru to resolving this mess as well.
Thanx for letting us follow along on this escapade. I'm sure this info will help someone else very soon.

Graham

still one hurdle to go through but its a minor one. does anyone know the thread size of these ?

1965-1989 Corvette Telescopic Steering Column Lock Screw (Star Shaped)

its a long explanation....but i need a duplicate without the head to lock the telescoping steering rod in place to put the c ring back in with the lockplate compressor tool.so basicly just the screw without a head. i just need to know the size of this thing.

but i just need the thread size. i cant put the compressor tool on top of the star screw or i would just do that.

if you know the thread size let me know.

19875296_579584272429731_3562802744457233612_n.jpg

Last edited:
and also thanks guys. you all helped a lot. glad to be a part of this forum. and the best thing about this thread is that if anyone has this problem again.... i can help them. it was one of those oddball things that i had to search each step to complete. it was a rare occurrence. but now we have a solution thanks to all our input.

i will be making a much better video to summarize what happened and the solution as well. once i slap on the steering wheel again

cheers

still one hurdle to go through but its a minor one. does anyone know the thread size of these ?

1965-1989 Corvette Telescopic Steering Column Lock Screw (Star Shaped)

its a long explanation....but i need a duplicate without the head to lock the telescoping steering rod in place to put the c ring back in with the lockplate compressor tool.so basicly just the screw without a head. i just need to know the size of this thing.

but i just need the thread size. i cant put the compressor tool on top of the star screw or i would just do that.

if you know the thread size let me know.

19875296_579584272429731_3562802744457233612_n.jpg
Mitchell doesn't give me this info, just go to the closest hardware store or autoparts and they will match one for you. Happy you are almost done.

Steve, not sure exactly where you are in Canada, small place however, but the nut and bolt suppliers Brafasco and a few others will probably have what you need. They also sell tools to measure the threads so you at least know what to look for. Good luck with your search.

Great job Steve.

well the vette is on the road again. after 21 days and going through corvette withdrawl....i drove it for 6 hours straight. also drove to the chevy dealer to check out newer vettes. you know, the ones ill never be able to afford.

like i said i will post a summary HD video in a few days of what all happened and how it was fixed. including all the oddball things that happened along the way.

Good on ya Steve... :thumbs: You've had a lot of us following along with you on this repair.... Pumped to hear all is well and you are on the road again....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.