Apr 24, 2011
Comox Vancouver Island B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2006 C-6
Seeing as there's so many C7s on the forum, and I'm sure that you've been driving them a lot, here's the question?
What kind of mileage are you getting on long trips?
Can you tell when the cylinders deactivate or do you find it switching back and forth on hills?
Just kind of curious to see how they compare to the C6.
Cheers Rob

40mpg+ is no problem at posted highway speeds.
Runs as low as 900rpm/50mph/7th gear.
AFM = useless...who drives in ECO mode?

I had my car last weekend from Fort Mac to Edmonton and back. Thats a 450km trip each way. Took slightly over half a tank of gas with the cruise set to 108. Very rarely passing anyone. Was in Eco mode and was watching the economy the majority of the time. I was mostly getting 6-8L/100km in V4 mode, 11-14 going up hills in V8, which works out to be 26-30ish mpg in V4 mode which I find very good. From just leaving it on cruise, I found the cylinder deactivation to be very efficient. Only occasionally noting a brief rumble as it switched over. And it did switch over immediatly when it needed to and then switched back quite quickly when the power wasn't needed.

And I should mention that the highway I was on is quite hilly, constantly changing altitude. I imagine on a flatter highway, 31-35 mpg could be reached easily.

40mpg+ is no problem at posted highway speeds.
Runs as low as 900rpm/50mph/7th gear.
AFM = useless...who drives in ECO mode?

I did when it was in its break in period and was testing the gas milage... :'(

Lol the trip between Fort Mac and Edmonton can cost me either $45, or $150 each way depending how the car is driven. If I'm not in a hurry, I'm taking the cheaper option lol. City driving is another story though.

Well I am not big fan of electronics in cars you can see some advantages in gas milage for certain. I think the best I have got with my C5 is 31.5 MPG on a on long flat stretch at about 70 MPH in sixth gear.

I will read with interest about the results with your C7. I know milage is not really something these cars were designed for but honestly 40 MPG pretty darn good. Al Gore still would not be pleased.

To check gas mileage, I fill the tank and write down the mileage. With the next fill up, I do the same. I use the litres figure on the gas pump and the odometer reading. I don`t have any faith in the on board stuff. On a 200 mile round trip to Bracebridge late last summer, we got 35.1 mpg with our `05 cruising at 65-70 mph on the four lane sections by times. We had the Vararam intake on for that trip. Trips in all stock form ran from 34.4 to 34.9 mpg. Our car has the six speed and 3.42 gears. With improvements since 2005, such as cylinder deactivation, I would suspect that a similar setup should be running somewhat better than that with numbers closer to 40 mpg. This is amazing when I look back at our old musclecars and their 10-12 mpg and, for the most part, making significantly less hp.
Old Al got awfully rich milking the GREEN cow. ;)

I have always owned base model Corvettes with manual transmissions .C4 ,5 ,6 all have a cruising point that they obtain their best millage .Can't remember on the C4 But the C5 was around 75-80 mph the C6 is around 55 mph a vast difference .It was not uncommon to get over 32 with the C5 vs 26 with the C6.

I also assume that Canada is smart enough not to use Ethanol blends like we have in the states

Depends on how much of a blend you are talking about. Mostly all regular gas is mixed with 10% ethanol. Depending on the brand, you can find premium that is pure gas or mixed with up to 10% ethanol. (Shell, Esso are pure, Petro Can is a blend at 91. I don't know about 94 as we don't have it). Husky is another animal all together.

As for the C7 mileage, I am curious as well as I range in the 33 mpg on trips and want to see what this new car will do!......so weird talking about fuel economy and Corvettes! :rofl:
But, it's just surprising how well they do!

Depends on how much of a blend you are talking about. Mostly all regular gas is mixed with 10% ethanol. Depending on the brand, you can find premium that is pure gas or mixed with up to 10% ethanol. (Shell, Esso are pure, Petro Can is a blend at 91. I don't know about 94 as we don't have it). Husky is another animal all together.

As for the C7 mileage, I am curious as well as I range in the 33 mpg on trips and want to see what this new car will do!......so weird talking about fuel economy and Corvettes! :rofl:
But, it's just surprising how well they do!

yeah, the people that modded my car tested all the different gas in canada and they told me that the best gas is "Shell"

On the pumps at Shell out west here there is no mention of ethanoll at all. Manny on his website has a write up that says to use Shell.Sorry to change the subject, but does anyone know if adding a bit of Methyl Hydrate to ethanol blend gas would neutralize the effects of the ethanol?

Here in Ontario, check out the labeling on the pumps. From what I have seen, there is no ethanol in the premium, which I use in everything, and 5-10% in the lower grades. All the premium grades that I have seen lately are 91 octane. I don`t know if you can still get 93. Petro Can used to have it. Not many people keep an accurate check on gas mileage and driving habits can make a huge difference. A friend has the subconscious habit of being on the gas then coasting. I can only imagine his mileage. Our car over multiple checks has had excellent mileage.

I was told that the gas sold on the Indian reservations here in Southern Ontario have no ethanol in any of the gas grades. True or false, I don`t know. They sell their gas a fair bit cheaper than the rest of the gas stations in the area.

I was told that the gas sold on the Indian reservations here in Southern Ontario have no ethanol in any of the gas grades. True or false, I don`t know. They sell their gas a fair bit cheaper than the rest of the gas stations in the area.

My guess is that reservation gas is cheaper because there is less tax on gas delivered and/or collected on a reservation. I can't see that the suppliers would formulate limited special mixes for reservations!
But I am only speculating.
David

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.