So... public service announcement.

Folks on here need to know that GM are clamping down. You must own your car for at least 1 year and/or 12,000kms before selling it.

A few folks have recently found out that they are blacklisted not just from ordering another C8 but any GM product. GM doesn't appear concerned whether you are/were a long time customer or not as I believe it's more about growing the brand.

Check with your dealership before you plan to sell or trade in is my advice. It was mentioned to me last week after putting my name down for the new Amplify Orange C8.

The problem isn't dealers selling over MSRP, that is what is great about capitalism. Market value is the price agreed to between a willing buyer and a willing seller. The problem is GM believing in the free market until it doesn't suit them. Can’t have a free market with an imaginary dotted line determining where I can sell what I legally own. At least not dictated to by a private entity such as GM.

Honestly, there will be more Corvettes. When mine shows up in June and is in my driveway and someone offers me 20k+ what I paid for it, they can have it. I'll just order another and get it for next spring.

You won’t order another one when GM places you on the suspected exporter/reseller list.

$200K gets mine.
corvettec8 water.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wrxninja
So... public service announcement.

Folks on here need to know that GM are clamping down. You must own your car for at least 1 year and/or 12,000kms before selling it.

A few folks have recently found out that they are blacklisted not just from ordering another C8 but any GM product. GM doesn't appear concerned whether you are/were a long time customer or not as I believe it's more about growing the brand.

Check with your dealership before you plan to sell or trade in is my advice. It was mentioned to me last week after putting my name down for the new Amplify Orange C8.
That’s BS, and why would I ask and trust anything a sales person has to say. It’s not like any of us signed a contract stating we can’t sell like Ford GT owners did.
if it wasn’t for a revolutionary C8 corvette I would not step foot in a GM dealership so if I get blacklisted so be it I would not even notice.

Reactions: drgmny
You won’t order another one when GM places you on the suspected exporter/reseller list.
I am going to suggest it probably isn’t a good sales technique to seemingly support a corporate policy that would “ban” a future buyer from purchasing your product. C8’s are a hot commodity today but I remember when cabbage patch dolls were the in thing as well. Everything has it’s time and one day in the not to distant future there will be C8’s on dealers lots, unspoken for, and buyers with long memories. The conversation will start something like this, “remember the time I was banned by GM for selling my private property”....

Sure maybe the C8 is the hot ticket but many of us buy way more vehicles than Corvettes every year and in many of those cases don't really care if it’s a GM.

FYI I am not an exporter/reseller but my cantankerous side rears up when words like ban or blacklisted gets tossed out there.

Just sayin....

That’s BS, and why would I ask and trust anything a sales person has to say. It’s not like any of us signed a contract stating we can’t sell like Ford GT owners did.
if it wasn’t for a revolutionary C8 corvette I would not step foot in a GM dealership so if I get blacklisted so be it I would not even notice.

That's your opinion.

Yes, you didn't sign anything so lawyer up, spend that money for ignoring my message. I'm telling you with first hand knowledge you will be blacklisted.

GM isn't saying you can't do what you want with the property you bought...go sell it. They just won't sell you another.

Reactions: Dik
That's your opinion.

Yes, you didn't sign anything so lawyer up, spend that money for ignoring my message. I'm telling you with first hand knowledge you will be blacklisted.

GM isn't saying you can't do what you want with the property you bought...go sell it. They just won't sell you another.
Being told something by a salesperson at a dealership is not “First hand knowledge”.

Being told something by a salesperson at a dealership is not “First hand knowledge”.

I'm talking about my first hand experience.

But take notice Andrew Spencer mentioned the same above...he's only from Canadas largest selling Vette dealer and has a reputation to uphold so yeah I guess I'm talking out my ass.

I'm done, you've been warned.

Guess we will see. As others have said, exporting it over the border will put up some flags, I've heard that before but I've still yet to see or sign a document for any new GM vehicle stating I can't sell the car to my neighbour within a year or I'll be banned from purchasing another.

Would you mind posting this document? Again I understand not wanting the car to end up over the border but I've never seen anything saying the vehicle can't be resold in country.

If I trade the car in within a year am I now banned from buying a GM product? Technically I've resold the car. This sounds like a giant grey area if GM isn't forthcoming with this information from the start that we as consumers have to keep the car for a year or else, or do they only care if the vehicle ends up over the border within a year of purchase regardless of who you sold it to and only if said vehicle is a hot market item?

Reactions: drgmny
Guess we will see. As others have said, exporting it over the border will put up some flags, I've heard that before but I've still yet to see or sign a document for any new GM vehicle stating I can't sell the car to my neighbour within a year or I'll be banned from purchasing another.

Would you mind posting this document? Again I understand not wanting the car to end up over the border but I've never seen anything saying the vehicle can't be resold in country.

If I trade the car in within a year am I now banned from buying a GM product? Technically I've resold the car. This sounds like a giant grey area if GM isn't forthcoming with this information from the start that we as consumers have to keep the car for a year or else, or do they only care if the vehicle ends up over the border within a year of purchase regardless of who you sold it to and only if said vehicle is a hot market item?
He will not be able to produce the document as no such document exists. I contacted GM customer service regarding this issue and the response I received was that you would not be put on this list unless you were directly exporting the vehicle to the USA.

You guys are hilarious.

Report back after you sell your car...GM doesn't need to produce anything. They are a multiple billion dollar company...they owe you nothing.

Irregardless of where it goes you'll be blacklisted as Canadian sales have been blacklisted.

Calling GM customer service is useless...my car was built and they had no clue.

• Agree
Reactions: Gilles27 and Dik
Just think about it from the dealers perspective and how frustrated they cannot join the feeding frenzy, beyond selling you the car at list price and adding as many useless ,over priced dealer pacs , warranties As possible. Some are even mandatory, as they have you over a barrel , take it or leave it.
Not to mention trying to protect the future resale market for used vehicles that would further enrich their businesses as this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and they consider it “their turf”. To be shut out of this lucrative revenue stream must keep dealer principals up at night.
So now imagine where the pressure on GM is being exerted from and how a thin narrative is being exerted on the customers who are purchasing these vehicles.
I have no doubt GM will clamp down on some, but to what extent. Surely people who have situations where they have to sell for health, death, etc. Cannot be held to such a strict standard, which is legally questionable in the first place, since you have title to the property . Gross abusers / exporters may be able to be black listed by GM to protect their marketplace , defined as dealer network and all the things they do to generate profit.
I am glad that we have a few great dealers that do not take advantage of us , like Spencer Chev. And others we use on this board, that have a longer term view our business relationship, vs. A predatory single transaction view.

Just think about it from the dealers perspective and how frustrated they cannot join the feeding frenzy, beyond selling you the car at list price and adding as many useless ,over priced dealer pacs , warranties As possible. Some are even mandatory, as they have you over a barrel , take it or leave it.
Not to mention trying to protect the future resale market for used vehicles that would further enrich their businesses as this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and they consider it “their turf”. To be shut out of this lucrative revenue stream must keep dealer principals up at night.
So now imagine where the pressure on GM is being exerted from and how a thin narrative is being exerted on the customers who are purchasing these vehicles.
I have no doubt GM will clamp down on some, but to what extent. Surely people who have situations where they have to sell for health, death, etc. Cannot be held to such a strict standard, which is legally questionable in the first place, since you have title to the property . Gross abusers / exporters may be able to be black listed by GM to protect their marketplace , defined as dealer network and all the things they do to generate profit.
I am glad that we have a few great dealers that do not take advantage of us , like Spencer Chev. And others we use on this board, that have a longer term view our business relationship, vs. A predatory single transaction view.
Most dealers out there are taking full advantage of the feeding frenzy. As soon as an order is cancelled by a customer, that car becomes the property of the dealership and they charge whatever buyers will pay for it...Many just don't advertise on their web page that they are doing this. Selling all the "useless ,over priced dealer pacs" is just added gravy. If you read back to the start of this thread, I was recently at a dealership that had one on the lot and two more in transit that the buyers had backed out on. Two of them were already sold for $30 k over MSRP and the third was not expected to be there long. The feeding frenzy is still alive and well.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Your right it is but what you describe is still not enough. The few deals that go south are small potatoes. You need to lower the power on the microscope and look at the larger picture. The dealer network wants ALL of the sales, new / used , add on business(business office, very profitable), service ( the most profit), used sales and service , parts, referred business, to both sales and service , legacy business from friends, family, referrals and repeat business over the lifecycle of that person.
This is the landscape of their business .
If GM/ Dealers allow others to dictate that marketplace they lose control of their business. If 20% of these cars are exported out of this market , I know we are small, they lose on service , parts,customer retention, resale, and the rest of it.
Make no mistake, what sounds like a bunch of crap to us is the lifeblood of their existence and they will defend it to the death at ALL levels. GM and other multinational companies and their agents have the depth both financially and legally to protect their turf, and they will.

I'm only going to chime in once on this subject, listen to Cam or be a know it all, your choice. No one says you can't sell your C8 whenever you want but GM most certainly can tell your dealer not to sell you a second one if they choose to put you on their no sell list. Sure you can put it in someone else's name like Dad Mom etc.. but be warned that list exists. One last thing is just because you sell it to someone you trust not to export it, if they do GM goes back to the original owner so good luck thinking you're safe.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.