This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

finally,the new shop starts !

That is a heavy rig!!! Appears to be sinking into the ground beautifully! Glad they were able to get it into position. Looks like a nice spot for a well!

got the final stats on the well today 340 feet !!! 3 gpm. 3 gallons a minute doesn't sound like much but with a static level of over 300 feet that means there is well over 300 gallons on tap recovering at a rate of 3 gallons per minute. the test holes for the septic system were inspected by the county health dept. today. i should have that approved early next week which then clears the way for the building permit. so much of the preliminary stuff is " hurry up and wait " just to get to the first stages of construction. :seeya: doug

We went through this in 1975 and there are a lot more hoops to jump through today. We sympathize. Once the house is done, you will quickly forget all the hoop jumping that you had to perform to get there. We'll be dropping by to see the progress. Have fun. Was by today. The apple tree in the corner of the lot is just starting to blossom out and will be beautiful this week.

Last edited:
Up in the Muskoka's, you are up around $30K for all the hoops you have to jump through. That's before you ever put a shovel into the ground to build. And what services come with it.....a fire truck a few miles away and a mail man. It's getting a little obscene.

the thing is they have you over a barrel and they know it. of any of the neighbouring townships in this region our council has the highest salaries. not by a little either, a huge difference. the mileage money the council members rake in borders on criminal. small wonder they got rid of the integrity commissioner, he was likely an impediment to their raiding of the till !!!

well i heard from the township today regarding my building permit. two issues. one - evidently a new house must have an enerstar rating now, so i drove over to see about filling in the form. nobody in the office knew how to fill it out, so i have to go back tomorrow and the chief building inspector will help me fill it out. i think it's in english because i recognized two or three words. second issue - they said i needed a demolition permit for what ??? they had my building lot mixed up with my current house !!! i guess this is why the permit takes so long and costs 12,000 bucks doug.

It was considerably easier in 1975 when we built. You have our sympathy Doug. I've been working on buying the 66 foot frontage at our cottage. It will soon be coming up a year and it is nearly done......maybe. They need six more copies of the survey. Does each person take home a copy for their grandmother or something. Same township as you. Same people we are dealing with. At least it's not like hell, it won't last forever.

well the building inspector didn't know how to fill it out either. i have done some detective work and i think i may have a handle on it. i'll go back again tomorrow and show them what i have learned. :swear:

thanks greg, it should go quite smoothly from here other than alot of hard work. the sub-trades guys that i am using are the best in the area and most of them are friends. nice thing about that is they work with me to save me dough !!! for example, the electrician has no issue with me doing all the grunt work and having him do what needs to be done for inspection.

Cousin Bert will make short work of the basement digging and septic system. Once the house is framed in, the time consuming part that takes up a lot of time from then on begins. Once the roof is on, weather isn't much of a factor so there are no real hold ups. I guarantee that you will sleep well at night after working on the site all day.

I don't know where you get the energy Doug. I'm currently drywalling one of our bedrooms after converting it to an office and it is playing me out after working all week.

working in new construction is always a whole lot easier than renovating. moving furniture around umpteen times and trying not to make a mess is such a pain. at least with new construction you get to leave the job site at the end of the day.

working in new construction is always a whole lot easier than renovating. moving furniture around umpteen times and trying not to make a mess is such a pain. at least with new construction you get to leave the job site at the end of the day.

So true.

yesterday i ordered the windows, roof trusses and floor trusses. the floor trusses are an open web design and initially cost more than traditional joist style construction. the initial extra cost will be more than made up however by lower labour cost and speed of installation. the unsupported span distance is much greater and wiring, plumbing, and h.v.a.c. labour will be much lower due to the open web design. scissor style roof trusses will be used in the garage/shop which will give an estimated 15 ft of height inside at the peak. the shark won't need that much height on the lift.....but my tundra will !!! might as well plan for it now. doug.

Users who are viewing this thread