This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

finally,the new shop starts !

a couple of updates on the progress. the septic system is in and approved, the framing inspection is done and approved. i have started the wiring and hopefully i can get to the point of rough in inspection before too long. after that i will be able to insulate, using roxul in all the walls and blown in for the attics. i'm planning on doing vinyl siding on nice days and working inside on rainy days. i will have no shortage of power outside as i've installed 9 outdoor outlets on a ground fault breaker. if i get a little worn out i give myself a bit of a treat and spark up the racecar - it can be heard a fair distance away and sometimes draws a bit of an audience.

a good place to find deals on building supplies and other items is the re-store run by habitat for humanity. i found j-mould boxes for electrical outlets used with vinyl siding for 2 bucks each, so i bought 10 of 'em. i also found a very gently used warehouse-style steel desk for 10 bucks. it's a great place and generates funds for a good cause.

There, now you have gone and done it. That was supposed to be a secret. Lots of good deals there if you check in regularly. If you have the time, auction sales can turn up lots of similar good stuff. Kilroy was at your place.

busy,busy,busy. the electrical rough-in inspection was done and passed so on rainy days i energize circuits - nice to have some lights when coming back from cruise night. i have started putting up the siding and do that job on nice days. the windows have built in "j" channel which makes things easier.

Looking good. We'll have to check the street address to be sure that we are at the right place next time we come up. From here on, every step starts to make the place look really nice.

Steamer, if you get up Peterborough way next summer, I will have to introduce you to my 87 year old buddy Ray. I'm sure you and Ray could talk a long time about the old hit and miss engines and steam engines. He's been into that stuff for many, many years. A very interesting guy you will find.

Last edited:
well the siding is about 80% complete and sure changes the appearance of the place. installing vinyl siding as a one man show is not a bad go, the big issue is to make up brackets and holders to ensure that the long floppy trim pieces are nice and straight. the big gable ends however, are a damn nightmare !!!!! i couldn't begin to estimate the number of miles i put on going up and down the ladders. every piece needs to be cut twice, that's where an assistant on the ground doing the cutting would have been good. just what a decrepit old geezer with bad knees needs - 2 or 300 trips up and the ladders a day

Doug, you have made great headway since our last visit. It is tough working on your own but you have done an admirable job.

My son is building as well and it is now a race against the calendar to get things closed up for what is just around the corner.

Well done Doug.

Doug, she's looking mighty fine!! Siding is probably one of the most PIA jobs building your own house, especially with vertical siding. Windows aren't bad to go around it's all those vent openings that are tough and I see four in that one corner. The other thing I see is the ledgers are installed for a serious square dance area right outside the garage doors or is it just a sitting area for a geezers luncheon! Looking good tho and are you in for this winter?
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread