productive day yesterday. moved some materials around, changed the compressor oil and built a 12 foot wall. i'll have to scout for a couple of buddies to help raise it though. the thing weighs a ton because there are 2 doors framed into it.

big problems with flooding over the last week. trying to stay ahead of it is proving tough, at one point there was 6 inches in the basement. i have 2 sump pumps running 24/7 at a combined flow of 80 gpm - not enough !!! we dug a trench to low ground and laid pipe in it and it's still on the verge. any rainfall will worsen things fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug, what a mess. Is the flooding the result of the snow pack melt or is it coming from another source? If there is any good news in all this is that it happened before the house is finished. At least now you can take appropriate measures to minimize the flooding in the future.

Good luck and I hope for the best for you. Just don't back the Corvette out of the garage just yet.

it's unbelievable the volume of ground water. there are even mini geysers bubbling up in the trench !!! at least this year presents a "worst case" scenario and we can attack it aggressively to reach a permanent solution. but in the meantime, this sucks to the n'th degree.

If you don't have eaves troughs on yet, get them up. Roof runoff tends to go straight down to the footings and the large amount of water is surprising. Draining the down spouts well away from the house helps a lot too. We're up on a hill and the sump pump runs for a while each spring. There is always something unforeseen when building new. We built our place 44 years ago and have all the bugs out of it, not that we had many. It's the one major reason why we will never move until old folks home time comes. Don't fix what ain't broke and don't leave what ain't broke. :)
A neighbour across the road in a low area, put in a "French drain" Basically, you dig a trench, fill the bottom with stone then cover it up. Water when it comes as far as this stone pathway, it then follows the path to where ever it leads, preferably away form the house to low land. Just a thought if nothing else works.

Last edited:
won a bit of a victory by squeezing in a third pump. the water level in the sump basin is now 8 inches below the basement floor instead of 1/2 to 1 inch. hopefully the worst is over. as soon as i plugged in that third pump i could see the level start to drop. when the ground dries out next month we'll begin trenching and tapping into the big "O" around the footings and start installing gravity drains to low ground. tense week, but not outta the woods just yet.

the water finally stopped flowing on sunday so now we can address the problem when the ground dries up with some gravity french drains. they're all the rage in paris :rofl: actually they are named for the inventor - henry french. when framing without a helper, measuring is a real challenge. i have decided to bite the bullet and buy a good laser measure - a bosch unit. will be very handy for a multitude of things. :seeya:

Not sure if I can see the pictures right but you should have vapour barrier between your top plates on inside walls and where the inside walls tie into exterior walls......or possibly you are spray-foaming the entire home??

Making some good progress Doug. Did you sort out the water issues?

i believe we have it beat murray. we dug a trench about 120 ft long and tee'd into the big "O" around the footings with 2 four inch lines. there is a good gravity fall to them and we covered them with gravel and landscape fabric. it should do the trick as there is no water entering the sump basin during heavy rains.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread