EricC8

Casual User
Jul 4, 2023
VetteCoins
Hey Everyone! Out of curiosity, do you have your garage epoxied? I know a huge benefit to having it done is that it stops the dust from accumulating. Does anybody know a good company in Ontario and price estimate? I have a two car garage 20 x 24.

I had mine done about 10 years, have been extremely happy with the decision. I looked into the usual alternatives, such as RaceDeck tiles, vinyl tiles, ceramic tiles, etc. and decided that epoxy was just the 'right' way to do it. The cost wasn't even that much more. My garage is a bit smaller than yours, and I paid around $1800 (again, this was 10 years ago). They came in with a diamond grinder to clean off the top layer, filled in all the chips and cracks, and then did the epoxy. Haven't had any problems with it in the 10 years.

BTW I personally would steer clear of the self applied kits that you can buy at Home Depot. They don't contain near the amount of solids as what the pros use, and like many things, the prep is the most important step, and so it's something best left to the professionals.

Reactions: Zedder
I did epoxy and loved/installed the "black/white/metallic" look (mostly white with black and sparkly flecks), then colour matched the rest of my garage to that (cabinetry, sink, black 4-post lift, etc.) so it looks great. My spouse warned me it would show the dirt and winter sludge and (as usual, sigh) she was right. I didn't heed her advice and go with a light brown floor to hide the dirt better. Having said that, I still prefer what I've got; it just has to be cleaned more often. Whatever flooring you decide, I'd suggest you shop around and ask to see actual installs before you choose, so you've got a better idea of materials and colours. My seller was able to show me other garage floors recently done by his company. Good luck!

Reactions: Murray20c8
If you do much mechanic work yourself then leave the floor be, less to worry about. I've had pretty much every automotive fluid known to mankind on my garage floor at one time or another.
But to each their own, if you want that 'showroom' look go for it.
To me, that would be the main reason to get epoxy. I've also spilled every possible automotive fluid on my floor, and they all wipe off instantly. With bare concrete you're living with stains or a lot of chemicals and scrubbing. Maybe some folks don't mind that, and that's perfectly okay. But personally I like being able to keep the floor spotless if I want (as I also use the garage for social activities live movie nights).

Reactions: butsy
To me, that would be the main reason to get epoxy. I've also spilled every possible automotive fluid on my floor, and they all wipe off instantly. With bare concrete you're living with stains or a lot of chemicals and scrubbing. Maybe some folks don't mind that, and that's perfectly okay. But personally I like being able to keep the floor spotless if I want (as I also use the garage for social activities live movie nights).
Agree 100% as I have as well!! The only person who would say 'don't do it', is typically the guy who is too cheap to spend the $$....IMO, otherwise why say anything negative if you've never had it...:)

The only person who would say 'don't do it', is typically the guy who is too cheap to spend the $$...

... Or feels it's a waste of money. It's a garage! It's where I park my car, not where I hang out.

Reactions: Cariboocreek
I did my floor 3 years ago after spilling everything imaginable on it for the previous 20 years!
I only wish I had done it 20 years earlier, it is so easy to clean spills up and always looks clean, even when
it's dirty.
I remember I had just poured the new floor and a bud asked if he could use my lift to swap out a tranny. In the
process he somehow managed to dump 3 or 4 litres of oil on my new floor. That stain was there until we ground it
off to lay the epoxy down 20 years later.
While some may just park their car in the garage many of us do much of our own service work and build/restore cars in the garage.
I'm just putting a 55" TV in so I can watch Motortrend TV while I work and have the odd beverage.

Market price in the GTA is about $7/sq ft. This includes prep to finish.

I did the do-it-yourself option from Canadian Tire. It will last for about 5-7 years... maybe more if you do a good job prepping the surface. I think that project cost me about $200. It's utilitarian and doesn't look as fancy as the professional jobs, but for $200, it meets my needs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.