The 2024 owners manual says to use Dexos R equivalent motor oil. I have seen it said that it should be Dexos 2 . I believe the recommended viscosity is 0w40 . What is the difference between the two? I linked to this from the manual itself and there appears to be two 0w40’s listed. Having seen several opinions on this I was curious if there is a definitive answer or at least a strong consensus. Bit of a confusing situation. Thanks.

Mobil 1 has already admitted the ESP FORMULA 0W-40 Dexos2 is the same as SUPERCAR 0W-40 DEXOS R
1694388534728.jpeg

Reactions: 1st Vette
That’s what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.
Mobil 1 ESP Formula/Supercar oil has extra low ash, and is friendly to catalysts in exhaust systems for C8

"DO NOT confuse dexos 2 with dexos 1 Gen 2. It is not the same. dexos 2 is for GM’s light-duty diesel engines, such as the Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel. It is also used in GM’s European gas engines. dexos 2 is spec’d in the US for the C8 Corvette. The goal for dexos 2 was to be developed primarily for diesel applications and non-turbo gasoline engines. This is an important distinction, because gas and diesel turbocharged applications are different, even though the components are similar. Soot production in a diesel engine is the biggest killer, and dexos 2 was formulated to reduce soot with lower ash content. dexos 2 also has a higher high temp sheer viscosity, which is part of diesel oil formulations."

Reactions: 1st Vette
Mobil 1 ESP Formula/Supercar oil has extra low ash, and is friendly to catalysts in exhaust systems for C8

"DO NOT confuse dexos 2 with dexos 1 Gen 2. It is not the same. dexos 2 is for GM’s light-duty diesel engines, such as the Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel. It is also used in GM’s European gas engines. dexos 2 is spec’d in the US for the C8 Corvette. The goal for dexos 2 was to be developed primarily for diesel applications and non-turbo gasoline engines. This is an important distinction, because gas and diesel turbocharged applications are different, even though the components are similar. Soot production in a diesel engine is the biggest killer, and dexos 2 was formulated to reduce soot with lower ash content. dexos 2 also has a higher high temp sheer viscosity, which is part of diesel oil formulations."
Got it. Finally.

Ah , there it is. And easy access as well. Bueno.
It might not be labeled as dexos 2 just yet as it's new to the market. I care not. I'll use it in my car. Gonna pick some up on Thursday. I also need oil for my tractors.

It might not be labeled as dexos 2 just yet as it's new to the market. I care not. I'll use it in my car. Gonna pick some up on Thursday. I also need oil for my tractors.
I hear ya. I just hope I need some sooner than later. This reminds me of waiting for the last day of school, lol . My only concern really was relative to warranty as I suspect manufacturers are like insurance companies when it comes to claims.

I hear ya. I just hope I need some sooner than later. This reminds me of waiting for the last day of school, lol . My only concern really was relative to warranty as I suspect manufacturers are like insurance companies when it comes to claims.
They'd have to prove the oil was responsible. That's what lawyers are for! ;)

So I am wondering why they would not label it as Dexos 2 even if its new?
The ad on the CT site also describes it as CASTROL EDGE SYNTEC which may be different that just CASTROL EDGE.
Also your link to the CASTROL SITE, if you click on the OIL PHOTO it takes you to the second page which shows the viscosities available and it does not show the 0W - 40 available

So I am wondering why they would not label it as Dexos 2 even if its new?
The ad on the CT site also describes it as CASTROL EDGE SYNTEC which may be different that just CASTROL EDGE.
Also your link to the CASTROL SITE, if you click on the OIL PHOTO it takes you to the second page which shows the viscosities available and it does not show the 0W - 40 available
C.T. may not have the newest stuff yet.
It's so new the web site might also not be correct yet. Obviously if the 0w40 page has a link to the actual oil there must be some relationship.

C.T. may not have the newest stuff yet.
It's so new the web site might also not be correct yet. Obviously if the 0w40 page has a link to the actual oil there must be some relationship.
Agree there is some relationship, just not all the information I would like to see to make a definitive decision for me. Especially since it does not say Dexos 2 or R on the container. I'm fine personally for now as I have the SUPERCAR DEXOS R I picked up at Advance auto for $10.50 per Litre however not everyone can do that as they are not close to the border. Hopefully in the future CASTROL had all the info needed

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.