Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if GM will just stop building any more C8s for Canadians until the fix is figured out. I wouldn't blame them, it just costs them money to store and rework vehicles.
Definitely not...Production schedules / parts ordering etc are set....Once they come up with the software update, it's an easy Reflash, Production will continue as normal, cars will just be parked...

I wonder if GM will just stop building any more C8s for Canadians until the fix is figured out. I wouldn't blame them, it just costs them money to store and rework vehicles.
That would be smart, but, as Butsy says, the logistics might be too hard to pull off.

Reactions: butsy
So a person who bought a new C8 has to wait for delayed delivery, while anyone can buy used C8 with the extact same 'defect' and drive it home. Gotta love the logic.
But that's the way any recall works is it not?

I have a used C8 sitting at the dealership, they will not release it to me until the recall is fixed. I already have the papers signed and payments are coming out of my account. 😒
Welcome to the forum.
What year is it?

I have a used C8 sitting at the dealership, they will not release it to me until the recall is fixed. I already have the papers signed and payments are coming out of my account. 😒
There is no requirement for that a dealership not sell a car with an outstanding recall. All they need to do is provide you with notice of the recall. Then it's your responsibility. A stop sale order by the manufacturer is a separate story but I dont know if that also applies to used vehicles.

There is no requirement for that a dealership not sell a car with an outstanding recall. All they need to do is provide you with notice of the recall. Then it's your responsibility. A stop sale order by the manufacturer is a separate story but I dont know if that also applies to used vehicles.
Not sure that's correct. They can't sell a car that isn't certified safe.

Has anyone purchased (paid in full) a new or used 2020-2024 C8 in February and was not told about the Transport Canada 02/01/24 recall by the salesperson or dealership (which one would think should have been disclosed and is another issue regarding fair practices on to itself to buyers as it would have led to another set of questions)? I am struggling with how dealerships in such a case can "hold" onto another persons property. Can you not just go in and say I am taking my car...thank you very much. I had a C6 and they too had a lighting recall but for a wire (not software) that could break leading to lose of low beam headlights.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Not sure that's correct. They can't sell a car that isn't certified safe.
Trust me Murray it is. A brand new vehicle with a recall is a separate issue. A used vehicle with recalls can definitely be sold and registered. I'm dealing with the exact same issue on one of may cases right now.

Trust me Murray it is. A brand new vehicle with a recall is a separate issue. A used vehicle with recalls can definitely be sold and registered. I'm dealing with the exact same issue on one of may cases right now.

Thanks for that. That's interesting.

So, what happens when somebody tries to get a simple oil change done on their car?
Is the Dealership going to hang onto it because it's not 'safe'?
There would be rioting in the streets.
Civilization as we know it will come to a halt.
Or, perhaps common sense may actually kick in.
i haven't checked it out yet, but is there no manual way these lights can be turned on (like in the old days)?

Recalls are a federal Gov't responsibility while vehicle certification is handled by the provinces.
That is why vehicles with recalls can be certified and sold in the provinces.

seriously April or may now, i cant believe i paid for the car and then the salesman tells me i cant take the car due to the recall.
If i only would of held out a day or two more before coming in to pay for it. Now im paying interest for 2 months when i didnt have to.
i hear its really clogging the entire dealership because its just not my corvette but silverado trucks and suv's other things. Imagine if the dealership can't sell the bread and butter items. The dealership must be pulling out their hair. i know i am.

• Angry
Reactions: Sea Wolf Z06
seriously April or may now, i cant believe i paid for the car and then the salesman tells me i cant take the car due to the recall.
If i only would of held out a day or two more before coming in to pay for it. Now im paying interest for 2 months when i didnt have to.
i hear its really clogging the entire dealership because its just not my corvette but silverado trucks and suv's other things. Imagine if the dealership can't sell the bread and butter items. The dealership must be pulling out their hair. i know i am.
That is not right! They can NOT stop you from getting your car once you paid for it! I'd be calling a lawyer! They should not have accepted payment or at least get them deferred!
Edit: read the article linked above.

Reactions: Sea Wolf Z06

If you take delivery of your car and for some reason the headlights malfunction and you crash, you’re going to get a lawyer and sue GM and the dealer for selling the car to you with a known defect and outstanding recall. That’s why they won’t release the car to you. Can’t blame them.

Call GM’s customer service line and make a complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.