We went through a similar situation. Building cars since the plant opened. (Separate truck plant next door)
We started making vans. They couldn't be lined up sequential. We ran 3 cars, 1 van, 3 cars, one van, rince & repeat.
Same with station wagons.
I could see the same situation at BGA. Run 3-4 coupes to 1 vert, rince & repeat.
Q) any word when RH drive units start up?
(someone posted a pic a while back showing the steering shaft at the floor. The rubber grommet had a "LH" imprint I couldn't help but notice. That shows there'sa "RH" in the mix).

I keep posting this privately lol.

Big slip

16,852 > 17,000 = 149

1605987705774.png

We went through a similar situation. Building cars since the plant opened. (Separate truck plant next door)
We started making vans. They couldn't be lined up sequential. We ran 3 cars, 1 van, 3 cars, one van, rince & repeat.
I could see the same situation at BGA. Run 3-4 coupes to 1 vert, rince & repeat.
(someone posted a pic a while back showing the steering shaft at the floor. The rubber grommet had a "LH" imprint I couldn't help but notice. That shows there'sa "RH" in the mix).
Forget the RH Vettes Get things strait with North America before we worry about the Britts and Auzzies

I'm almost positive there's one assembly line, for coupes and verts..
They roll on the line together during assembly.
I don't understand how it can take longer to build one or the other.
Help me understand.
Thanks.

I think you understand perfectly AxeZ06 👍. After 38 years on the assembly lines in Oshawa it sounds like GM uses their Global Manufacturing System corporation wide. When we added the Camaro convertibles to the coupes in Oshawa, they were both built on the same skillet lines in trim and Hardware. If GM wanted the lines running quicker, the workers tasks were shortened and more jobs created. Of course more people costs more money. Every time GM adds different models or options, they have to balance the time on each job. Its difficult to divide up the initial installation of a convertible top so they space these cars out. The line worker actually falls behind each time he installs a convertible top, but catches up again on the next 2 or 3 coupes that have less work assigned to them. Body shop and paint shop have "banks" between them and can run at different speeds but eventually, all need to supply each other efficiently. The idea of Flexible Manufacturing System sounds appealing but is a huge undertaking every time there is a change.

On a side note, I'm glade they didn't end that century old tradition of building vehicles in Oshawa.

I think I just saw Mr. Mclaughlin smile.

Reactions: Thom
Looking at the production totals and subtracting a known number of CTF's (There could be more, who knows) I modified the SS to reflect the new number of 20,368 minus the 912 known CTF's = 19,456 customer vins. It pushed start of 2021 MY to December 14th mid day

1606237978327.png

Reactions: kevindesj
I hate click bait. lol.
Looks very good now for the start of 2021 production to commence on December 14th. It's only a little more than 2 weeks away. If they wanted to I suppose they could start building 1/3rd of the remaining cars as 21's , but they would risk not being able to build all the 20's so I highly doubt it. They have only 1862 2020's left to build and 2 weeks to do it in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.