Dec 27, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Grand sport 3lt
Province
ON
Interesting....I purchased my 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3lt before Christmas 2020 , to my surprise I found out after a blow out while on vacation in Gaspe that the previous owner had adjusted the camber way in which resulted in wearing out the inside of my tires.
I was lucky enough to be close to a GM dealer as I was 1000 kms away from home, they could not find any tires anywhere in the Province of Quebec?
If you own a Corvette don"t have a blow out in Quebec!
They had two used tires that they kept and installed those which got me home.
I had contacted Laplante chev olds in Casselman, Ont. and asked for them to order 4 new tires and luckily they found some
I dropped it off this morning to have tires replaced and they now tell me I have a cracked rim.... really !
another $1000 to replace, plus $3000 for tires plus labor and alignment
I am started to wonder why I purchased this car !

TNT

Interesting....I purchased my 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3lt before Christmas 2020 , to my surprise I found out after a blow out while on vacation in Gaspe that the previous owner had adjusted the camber way in which resulted in wearing out the inside of my tires.
I was lucky enough to be close to a GM dealer as I was 1000 kms away from home, they could not find any tires anywhere in the Province of Quebec?
I had contacted Laplante chev olds in Casselman, Ont. and asked for them to order 4 new tires and luckily they found some
I dropped it off this morning to have tires replaced and they now tell me I have a cracked rim.... really !

TNT
Likely that camber was from the factory. Both my Vettes were set up that way when delivered. Didn't realize it until my C6 wore the insides to the cords. When I took delivery of my C7, I had them zero the camber before it left the dealership. They set camber for track use on these babies and if you track your car, the tires wear out before the camber set up catches up with you. If you don't track, you're down to the inside cords long before the rest of the tire is worn. It's not the cars fault. That warning has been discussed here on the forum for years...

TNT
Agree with the reply above for tire wear and most might first guess with me that it is your wider back wheel(s) that was cracked
and that it is a black painted wheel and not a chrome wheel. If the front - then perhaps a road hazard impact.
This wide back wheel seems to be an on-going discovery of misfortune with a few in the C7 GS & Z06 circle of which I know of three experiencing
the same thing just this Summer. There is chit-chat by others of taking on a class action with GM .... but so far it seems to be all talk and no action.
Sorry to read you are experiencing this. Many have replaced their wheels with a much better wheel than the Black OEM.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNT7054
Agree with the reply above for tire wear and most might first guess with me that it is your wider back wheel(s) that was cracked
and that it is a black painted wheel and not a chrome wheel. If the front - then perhaps a road hazard impact.
This wide back wheel seems to be an on-going discovery of misfortune with a few in the C7 GS & Z06 circle of which I know of three experiencing
the same thing just this Summer. There is chit-chat by others of taking on a class action with GM .... but so far it seems to be all talk and no action.
Sorry to read you are experiencing this. Many have replaced their wheels with a much better wheel than the Black OEM.
I read your story about cracked rims. Be aware it’s not just a corvette story. I own a corvette and Recently purchased a BMW 335 convertible with Low profile tires . Three cracked rims and two blown tires the first month of owning. 5000.00 in wheels and tires this year alone. Potholes are your worst enemy. I am now extremely careful and nervous driving this car. My Brother is in the tire business and says he sees low profile tires blown every week. There is not enough cushion to absorb impact of bumps in everyday roads. Go on YouTube and you will see endless stories of cracked rims from low profile wheels and tires on all sorts of cars. Why the auto industry continue to support this style of wheel is ridulous. It’s not the Vette it’s the tires.

• Informative
Reactions: Dik and TNT7054
Likely that camber was from the factory. Both my Vettes were set up that way when delivered. Didn't realize it until my C6 wore the insides to the cords. When I took delivery of my C7, I had them zero the camber before it left the dealership. They set camber for track use on these babies and if you track your car, the tires wear out before the camber set up catches up with you. If you don't track, you're down to the inside cords long before the rest of the tire is worn. It's not the cars fault. That warning has been discussed here on the forum for years...
They are installing new tires now, the camber will be adjusted. The camber was not factory set as there are black marker lines at the adjustment, expensive discovery but tire wear problem will be resolved. Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed I don't crack to many wheels.

The cracked rim issue is an ongoing known problem for many C7 GS and Z owners. Sorry to hear you have now run into that problem. Tire shortage is also a known issue, especially when looking for oem tires in stock sizes. Other brands can be found a little more easily, but they are still slow to be found across the board. If your willing to switch to an A/S tire you might have better/quicker results

Here is a photo only of an option that one owner is apparently going with except in black and with an added protective coating of some sort.
523C5C41-E897-44CF-8CE0-E6C7FF407AB8.jpeg74D5FBC2-3CE5-4611-8455-B625298C9E59.jpeg

TNT
Which style of wheel/rim do you have on your car? Was it a front or rear? I have a perfect condition rear , black y-spoke design.

Ordered new rims today from MRR... they are forged ZR1 replicas
Nice rims. But, the low profile rubber is your problem not the wheel. There is not enough rubber to cushion against blows. Any good pothole or bump will likely crack your new rim. I’ve replaced several rims forged , cast etc and cracked the wheels. . Cracked on my Audi, my partners BMW and Tesla. These low profile wheels were never designed for city roads.

Nice rims. But, the low profile rubber is your problem not the wheel. There is not enough rubber to cushion against blows. Any good pothole or bump will likely crack your new rim. I’ve replaced several rims forged , cast etc and cracked the wheels. . Cracked on my Audi, my partners BMW and Tesla. These low profile wheels were never designed
Thx, that seems like stating the obvious, roads here in Ottawa have never been worse. I avoid certain roads in my vette. I have never had rim issues with my previous cars and they had low profile tires as well.

I think the issue here is the frequency that C7 rims have been cracking, not sure if there is a class action here in Canada but there is one in the US.

Not much you can do about the low profile tire. Of course you could switch up to a smaller rim but that just doesn't look right on the corvette IMO. I've driven on low pros my entire life; cars, trucks, suvs and managed, and MB roads are pure garbage. Pay attention to what your doing, watch your speed when needed and you can manage.

Nice pickup Nimm

Thx, that seems like stating the obvious, roads here in Ottawa have never been worse. I avoid certain roads in my vette. I have never had rim issues with my previous cars and they had low profile tires as well.

I think the issue here is the frequency that C7 rims have been cracking, not sure if there is a class action here in Canada but there is one in the US.
BMW had to replace rims in California due to a class action. Also Audi is being inundated with claims. My buddy won’t buy any car with Low profile again. Having said that my vette is an 89 and not been an issue. I replaced 6 rims and tires over the years and won’t purchase low profile wheels without a warranty of sorts any longer .

BMW had to replace rims in California due to a class action. Also Audi is being inundated with claims. My buddy won’t buy any car with Low profile again. Having said that my vette is an 89 and not been an issue. I replaced 6 rims and tires over the years and won’t purchase low profile wheels without a warranty of sorts any longer .
I have had no issues with my 77 or 05 vettes, no issues with any of the Acura's or Mercedes that I have owned.

I think the issue here is that if car manufacturers are designing and building cars with these low profile tires that they design and engineer the rims to accommodate the road conditions that they would be driven in.
There seems to be a high volume of rims cracking on C7 vettes so it might be correct to assume that the due diligence in engineering and design was not done.

I'm surprised that tyere is no class action here in Canada on this issue

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.