The paragraphs below were written by a nurse who works with ventilators:

Here you go folks... for those people who don't understand what it means to be on a ventilator but want to take the chance of going back to work....

For starters, it's NOT an oxygen mask put over the mouth while the patient is comfortably lying down and reading magazines. Ventilation for COVID-19 is a painful intubation that goes down your throat and stays there until you live or you die.

It is done under anesthesia for 2 to 3 weeks without moving, often upside down, with a tube inserted from the mouth up to the trachea and allows you to breathe to the rhythm of the lung machine.

The patient can't talk or eat, or do anything naturally - the machine keeps you alive.

The discomfort and pain they feel from this means medical experts have to administer sedatives and painkillers to ensure tube tolerance for as long as the machine is needed. It's like being in an artificial coma.

After 20 days from this treatment, a young patient loses 40% muscle mass, and gets mouth or vocal cords trauma, as well as possible pulmonary or heart complications.

It is for this reason that old or already weak people can't withstand the treatment and die. Many of us are in this boat ... so stay safe unless you want to take the chance of ending up here. This is NOT the flu.

Add a tube into your stomach, either through your nose or skin for liquid food, a sticky bag around your butt to collect the diarrhea, a foley to collect urine, an IV for fluids and meds, an A-line to monitor your BP that is completely dependent upon finely calculated med doses, teams of nurses, CRNA’s and MA’s to reposition your limbs every two hours and lying on a mat that circulates ice cold fluid to help bring down your 104 degree temp.

Anyone want to try all that out?

Then stay home!

Stay safe and well!

Liberal Government realized and has avoided the potential for an unemployed uproar today ...
The CERB continues for another 8 weeks as J.T. sports a haircut today.

Catch 22 here folks … trying to get people to go back to work
under the CEWS program who would normally be making less
than $2000 per month which equates to 133 hrs of work per month
(about 6 hrs of work per day @ $15/hr).

I have noticed there are many big-store employers who employ people
with no more than 20hrs of pay per week ($1200 per month)
in order to avoid including them in their full time employment benefits.
let's replace CERB extension with a back to work BONUS

Phil you want to get banned for making too much common sense? Keep it up. :Biggrin:
I am painfully aware of how CERB and other programs, although well intended, have created an incentive for many to stay comfortably ensconced in the daily comfort of their Lazyboy recliner.....

Keep following precautions. There is a strong resurgence of infections down south in more than half the country and new closures from some companies following recent re-openings definitely err on the side of caution. I say this with some level of hypocrisy as I enjoyed my first patio experience recently in a part of the country that has never had an infection, easy to let your guard down and no real protocols are being followed here in this part of BC.

Just be careful guys, the virus doesn't care where you are, who you are or whether you believe in it or not. Letting your guard down increases the risk and likelihood that this will stretch its legs well into the rest of the year here.

When precautions are being lifted ... stop the demands !!!
I am not running my life here based on what's below the 49th
I am going to do what is permitted ... so just stop it.

I'm in no position nor inclination to make demands, just opinions based on stuff that's happening around the world not just south of us. You can draw your own conclusions from recent developments around the world.

Keep following precautions. There is a strong resurgence of infections down south in more than half the country and new closures from some companies following recent re-openings definitely err on the side of caution. I say this with some level of hypocrisy as I enjoyed my first patio experience recently in a part of the country that has never had an infection, easy to let your guard down and no real protocols are being followed here in this part of BC.

Just be careful guys, the virus doesn't care where you are, who you are or whether you believe in it or not. Letting your guard down increases the risk and likelihood that this will stretch its legs well into the rest of the year here.

When precautions are being lifted ... stop the demands for otherwise !!!
I am not a covid ridden zombie and
I am not running my life here based on what's below the 49th
I am going to do what I am permitted in Canada and not out of spite but
to rather ... just have a life ... so just please stop it.

I'm in no position nor inclination to make demands, just opinions based on stuff that's happening around the world not just south of us. You can draw your own conclusions from recent developments around the world.

nothing personal ...
it's just the same record that's being played over and over and over.
impacting so few obviously.
But when precautions are lifted ... break that damn record.

If it comes back on the airwaves again ... I at least got the only break
I've had in over 3 months in my own Province/Country.
(I am hearing a few non-CCF in BC loud and clear though)

I am not asking to open the International Border at all.

Personally I think the way we do permitted things is based on an individuals own comfort and safety level with theirs and others they are in contact with. I have no problem at all continuing to be cautious, as is still recommended by health officials and government, but being cautious doesn't mean unnecessarily crawling into a hole and hiding either. My wife tells me to use caution every time I head to town and I have no problem at all with being reminded. South of the border is only one of the many countries that are witnessing a resurgence and record breaking levels of new cases and deaths. Canada has done well to avoid the situations many countries are still struggling with and this can be a reminder of what the Canadian people, for the most part, have been doing, and to a degree should continue with caution along a path to recovery from Covid. I see no "demands" nor any indication that we should run our lives based on what is happening in the US and, like my wife reminding me whether it's to be cautious or to drive safely, I appreciate the care and concern of others. If I did not, I would simply choose to ignore rather than challenge well meaning thoughts. JMO

• Agree
Reactions: Morby
... "how dare me" write anything in contrary to a few on this forum ...
i removed it hours ago as I am CCF out-ranked on an opinion ...
only for it to be brought back up by one able to resurrect it ... 👎🏻

Last edited:
... "how dare me" write anything in contrary to a few on this forum ...
i removed it hours ago only for it to be brought back up by one able to resurrect it ... 👎🏻
Think what you will but not true Sp. I wrote my reply hours ago only to lose my internet. Drafts remain in the cue. :thumbs:

Well we are starting to see a rise around the world rates creeping higher just look to in the larger cities in the US that eased up on restrictions.

The deaths are close to surpassing a very bad year of Influeza deaths 500K Covid now is over 480K and the curve worldwide is continuing to rise.

In Canada IMO #s have stayed low due to restrictions and most folks trying their best to adhere to them, testing # have been pathetic pretty much world wide so these # could be off by any multiple.

All we know is the tested cases and results.

I would not wish one person or any persons family member to go through this as I had a fellow worker go threw this one week after her retired and he was in the hospital for a week and thought that was it....thank whomever he made it through but he said that was the worst thing he ever experienced.

Here is a live tracker from Johns Hopkins

Johns Hopkins Tracker

Here is a recent article in what is going on in the US from the Washington Post.

Washington Post C-19 Article

Stay Safe, Stay Informed, Stay Healthy

As well remember in a Forum words are stagnate they have no real interaction with feelings or tone of the way they are expressed with the individual, and can be taken how the reader wants to take them in. Why do you think so many folks get into fights over txtx hahahahah and all it takes is a phone call to see it was just taken out of context.

Kevin

for anyone interested, this site is the one I refer too when I want the numbers. Lots of info and this is updated almost by the minute and has the option for comparing over a three day period as well.

Given the surge of Covid new cases over the last few weeks in a large number of countries, one can only hope that our government maintains the closure of our border to international travel in or out. The US, Brazil, UK, India, Russia, and a multitude of others are exhibiting total failure to curtail the spread as case numbers have risen dramatically throughout June. To open borders anytime in the foreseeable future would be a costly mistake. Canada is doing well with new case numbers dropping rapidly to mid March levels. Lets keep up this trend. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

covid canada June 27.png

More testing = more cases. We could have virtually no new cases if we stopped testing.

Hospitalizations and death stats are more informative. 50% of new US cases are under age 35. Likely to see increased positive cases with decreasing hospitalizations.

Concern should be in protecting the vulnerable populations not the universe.

More testing = more cases. We could have virtually no new cases if we stopped testing.

Hospitalizations and death stats are more informative. 50% of new US cases are under age 35. Likely to see increased positive cases with decreasing hospitalizations.

Concern should be in protecting the vulnerable populations not the universe.

Indeed if we didn't test for stuff we'd never have any known ailments or diseases. You can't protect the vulnerable if you have rampant uncontrolled community spread. Especially in the US who seem to have as with most things politicized a disease and made it a civil liberty issue rather than the pandemic that it is.

The US will never enact draconian stay at home orders like Europe so many vulnerable will perish. Many more than projected. It is unfortunately something that our neighbours are going to go through and it's totally beyond their control I feel at this point.

Question is are we in this country thusfar relatively unaffected as we took it more seriously willing to go through.

Yeah saw that. It's kayak who are in the business of travel so I'm guessing it's accurate. Europe is about to reopen some international routes next week.

One very despicable reality around here is... You can buy a plane ticket to get home however they cancel your flight because no international flights are landing here (thus no plane) or deny boarding because of restriction in a transit country. I know of many ex-pats trying to get home who have faced this numerous times at the BKK airport here. Some of these guys now can't afford to get home as the airlines won't refund your money despite having a refundable ticket as some of the airlines now have a "covid policy" that states no refunds. And the ones that do refund will refund, after 90 day by this policy.

As I have been home for 4 months, currently I have $17,000 worth of flights that have been "deferred" with flight credits good to February 2021 with Thai Airways, Garuda Indonesia, Cathay Pacific, and Singapore Airlines. I now have to have to sort out my trip with Air Canada that had me landing in Edmonton via Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Vancouver in a week. The first leg of the journey is with Thai Airways to Hong Kong (Star Alliance) however they are not operating any outbound international flights till the end of August. Currently only incoming repatriation charters for Thais. But Air Canada who the booking was made through do not acknowledge this and have sent me new itineraries twice with landings in Calgary and now 35 minutes to transit in Hong Kong... which means 20 minutes as the gate closes 15 minutes before the scheduled departure. Pretty much impossible as I have been through there dozens of times. Great and efficient airport but not quite that easy. It is so huge it would take longer than that to walk to the gate let alone pass through the transit security. So there is another $7000 plane ticket going onto the sluff pile to hopefully use later.

I don't know how things will ever be reconciled with all the lost travel for millions of people. Air travel will likely never be the same as whatever airlines are left after this mess will be years trying to nickel and dime their losses back.

In other News...

No internal cases of covid here for the last 35 days or so. Businesses are almost all allowed to be open now including restaurants being allowed last week to sell booze again; with the bars and massage shops rumored to be opening right after July 1st. (with restrictions)
Masks and social distancing rules are in full effect here still and Thailand is still under the emergency decree set by the government. Although you would not know it walking along the beach...haha

1593303928731.png

Last edited:
One very despicable reality around here is... You can buy a plane ticket to get home however they cancel your flight because no international flights are landing here (thus no plane) or deny boarding because of restriction in a transit country. I know of many ex-pats trying to get home who have faced this numerous times at the BKK airport here. Some of these guys now can't afford to get home as the airlines won't refund your money despite having a refundable ticket as some of the airlines now have a "covid policy" that states no refunds. And the ones that do refund will refund, after 90 day by this policy.

As I have been home for 4 months, currently I have $17,000 worth of flights that have been "deferred" with flight credits good to February 2021 with Thai Airways, Garuda Indonesia, Cathay Pacific, and Singapore Airlines. I now have to have to sort out my trip with Air Canada that had me landing in Edmonton via Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Vancouver in a week. The first leg of the journey is with Thai Airways to Hong Kong (Star Alliance) however they are not operating any outbound international flights till the end of August. Currently only incoming repatriation charters for Thais. But Air Canada who the booking was made through do not acknowledge this and have sent me new itineraries twice with landings in Calgary and now 35 minutes to transit in Hong Kong... which means 20 minutes as the gate closes 15 minutes before the scheduled departure. Pretty much impossible as I have been through there dozens of times. Great and efficient airport but not quite that easy. It is so huge it would take longer than that to walk to the gate let alone pass through the transit security. So there is another $7000 plane ticket going onto the sluff pile to hopefully use later.

I don't know how things will ever be reconciled with all the lost travel for millions of people. Air travel will likely never be the same as whatever airlines are left after this mess will be years trying to nickel and dime their losses back.

In other News...

No internal cases of covid here for the last 35 days or so. Businesses are almost all allowed to be open now including restaurants being allowed last week to sell booze again; with the bars and massage shops rumored to be opening right after July 1st. (with restrictions)
Masks and social distancing rules are in full effect here still and Thailand is still under the emergency decree set by the government. Although you would not know it walking along the beach...haha

View attachment 41376

Yeah I'm truly sorry, I've heard flying is a total s--show of a gamble wrapped in an enigma. Hope you make it back somehow. I think only very recently did Ac actually start refunding properly after many complaints but I'm not too read up on the topic.

Glad to hear Thailand is doing well. Good to see some parts of the world reopening, glimmer of hope.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread