Yeah saw that. It's kayak who are in the business of travel so I'm guessing it's accurate. Europe is about to reopen some international routes next week.
Another things that people have to look at if you travel to another country are you going to have to go into isolation for 14 days okay so why even go would be the question

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
One very despicable reality around here is... You can buy a plane ticket to get home however they cancel your flight because no international flights are landing here (thus no plane) or deny boarding because of restriction in a transit country. I know of many ex-pats trying to get home who have faced this numerous times at the BKK airport here. Some of these guys now can't afford to get home as the airlines won't refund your money despite having a refundable ticket as some of the airlines now have a "covid policy" that states no refunds. And the ones that do refund will refund, after 90 day by this policy.

As I have been home for 4 months, currently I have $17,000 worth of flights that have been "deferred" with flight credits good to February 2021 with Thai Airways, Garuda Indonesia, Cathay Pacific, and Singapore Airlines. I now have to have to sort out my trip with Air Canada that had me landing in Edmonton via Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Vancouver in a week. The first leg of the journey is with Thai Airways to Hong Kong (Star Alliance) however they are not operating any outbound international flights till the end of August. Currently only incoming repatriation charters for Thais. But Air Canada who the booking was made through do not acknowledge this and have sent me new itineraries twice with landings in Calgary and now 35 minutes to transit in Hong Kong... which means 20 minutes as the gate closes 15 minutes before the scheduled departure. Pretty much impossible as I have been through there dozens of times. Great and efficient airport but not quite that easy. It is so huge it would take longer than that to walk to the gate let alone pass through the transit security. So there is another $7000 plane ticket going onto the sluff pile to hopefully use later.

I don't know how things will ever be reconciled with all the lost travel for millions of people. Air travel will likely never be the same as whatever airlines are left after this mess will be years trying to nickel and dime their losses back.

In other News...

No internal cases of covid here for the last 35 days or so. Businesses are almost all allowed to be open now including restaurants being allowed last week to sell booze again; with the bars and massage shops rumored to be opening right after July 1st. (with restrictions)
Masks and social distancing rules are in full effect here still and Thailand is still under the emergency decree set by the government. Although you would not know it walking along the beach...haha

View attachment 41376
THAT'S COMPLETELY WACKED!!!!

One very despicable reality around here is... You can buy a plane ticket to get home however they cancel your flight because no international flights are landing here (thus no plane) or deny boarding because of restriction in a transit country. I know of many ex-pats trying to get home who have faced this numerous times at the BKK airport here. Some of these guys now can't afford to get home as the airlines won't refund your money despite having a refundable ticket as some of the airlines now have a "covid policy" that states no refunds. And the ones that do refund will refund, after 90 day by this policy.

As I have been home for 4 months, currently I have $17,000 worth of flights that have been "deferred" with flight credits good to February 2021 with Thai Airways, Garuda Indonesia, Cathay Pacific, and Singapore Airlines. I now have to have to sort out my trip with Air Canada that had me landing in Edmonton via Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Vancouver in a week. The first leg of the journey is with Thai Airways to Hong Kong (Star Alliance) however they are not operating any outbound international flights till the end of August. Currently only incoming repatriation charters for Thais. But Air Canada who the booking was made through do not acknowledge this and have sent me new itineraries twice with landings in Calgary and now 35 minutes to transit in Hong Kong... which means 20 minutes as the gate closes 15 minutes before the scheduled departure. Pretty much impossible as I have been through there dozens of times. Great and efficient airport but not quite that easy. It is so huge it would take longer than that to walk to the gate let alone pass through the transit security. So there is another $7000 plane ticket going onto the sluff pile to hopefully use later.

I don't know how things will ever be reconciled with all the lost travel for millions of people. Air travel will likely never be the same as whatever airlines are left after this mess will be years trying to nickel and dime their losses back.
Dang it! I will be thinking of the time you planned to be back here in a few weeks.
Most likely that I will also be experiencing the other at that time as I meddle thru
about $5k of prepaid flights to and from New Brunswick in September, December & January
with hope that it will be "banked" and then to be subsequently redeemed without expiring.
It's a crap shoot ...

Talked to a fellow yesterday who is fighting with AC right now. He had a flight booked to NB for last week with a flight change in Toronto. The flight was cancelled into NB for obvious reasons but AC will only refund the last half of the flight.The reason they gave him was the flight to Toronto was still active so that part of the fare wouldn't be refunded.... Go figure. Hopefully Sp. NB will be opened up by September. They opened up to the rest of Atlantic Canada a few days ago.

Talked to a fellow yesterday who is fighting with AC right now. He had a flight booked to NB for last week with a flight change in Toronto. The flight was cancelled into NB for obvious reasons but AC will only refund the last half of the flight.The reason they gave him was the flight to Toronto was still active so that part of the fare wouldn't be refunded.... Go figure. Hopefully Sp. NB will be opened up by September. They opened up to the rest of Atlantic Canada a few days ago.
Actually it's not the flight being open that I am worried about ... as it's the reason that we are/were going that has been compromised/diverted/postponed.
I did purchase 36 tickets (which is 18 with connections thru Toronto) that were more costly so that they can be cancelled ...
it's a matter that policy has not changed since the purchase and that the "banked" value does not expire or get prematurely cancelled.
My companion vouchers will be definitely gone that's for sure. These were done in November and January, well before covid hit the fan here.

The reason for the tickets has actually resulted in an initial year for living in New Brunswick being less expensive by not having to be there (on-line University is being planned).

I think I'll use "banked funds" to fly to Thailand when allowed ... I hear there is a lot of cold beers right beside a pool there and that the weather isn't too bad :angelic:

Last edited:
Many USA insurance adjusters in USA Plate Vehicles are staying in Calgary to assess claims following the Billion Dollar Hailstorm and are all exempt from isolation on arrival. Happily going about their jobs. Probably eating at some of our fine restaurants and whatnot. After my coping with and tolerating all the restrictions continuing over more than 3 months now that severely influence my personal and business life ... WTF !!!

Many USA insurance adjusters in USA Plate Vehicles are staying in Calgary to assess claims following the Billion Dollar Hailstorm and are all exempt from isolation on arrival. Happily going about their jobs. Probably eating at some of our fine restaurants and whatnot. After my coping with and tolerating all the restrictions continuing over more than 3 months now that severely influence my personal and business life ... WTF !!!
The one consistency throughout the Covid, is the complete and total inconsistency of the application and enforcement of the public health rules. Flights from Asia never being shut down through to being against the rules to attend church but protesting downtown was acceptable, shows that activities deemed appropriate were political calculations not health related. Regardless of anyone’s personal thoughts on the Corona virus, the utter disregard for the equal application of the law, is astounding.

The one consistency throughout the Covid, is the complete and total inconsistency of the application and enforcement of the public health rules. Flights from Asia never being shut down through to being against the rules to attend church but protesting downtown was acceptable, shows that activities deemed appropriate were political calculations not health related. Regardless of anyone’s personal thoughts on the Corona virus, the utter disregard for the equal application of the law, is astounding.

Alarming headline, but I can't seem to figure out how it corresponds with the article in a meaningful way. (?)
I'm confused.

Everyone seems to have a covid excuse
For not being able to get anything done.
Doing Nothing but jumping hurdles because I wont go around them nor give up. Geez.

I’ve been given more excuses by more people in the last three weeks than in the last three years. Explain to me what the relationship is between Covid and energizing an electrical grid. I’ll wait.....

• Agree
Reactions: YFCvii
Spent the weekend at our yearly family camp out at our community hall just down the road. It was touch and go whether we were going to have it given the Covid19, but after much deliberation and setting out rules for exposure, all but three committed. Had a little thunderstorm Saturday afternoon but other than that, weather was great. My dogs had a good time too.

DSCN4845.JPG

Reactions: RockyPM
Spent the weekend at our yearly family camp out at our community hall just down the road. It was touch and go whether we were going to have it given the Covid19, but after much deliberation and setting out rules for exposure, all but three committed. Had a little thunderstorm Saturday afternoon but other than that, weather was great. My dogs had a good time too.

View attachment 41651
Have that posse ride up to the bank......😱

I would like to say good looking crew, but how would I know....lol. Glad you had a good time. Nothing more important than family.

P.S. The youngin on the far left wears his mask like I do.....

Yeah I'm truly sorry, I've heard flying is a total s--show of a gamble wrapped in an enigma. Hope you make it back somehow. I think only very recently did Ac actually start refunding properly after many complaints but I'm not too read up on the topic.

Glad to hear Thailand is doing well. Good to see some parts of the world reopening, glimmer of hope.

Small update Nik: I was scheduled to fly to YEG from BKK today however a few day ago AC sent me an updated itinerary with the Bangkok to Hong Kong segments taken out. So no flight to from here to Hong Kong offered or a refund for the fare difference. (This is a full business class ticket with a frequent flyer)
So yesterday I spent an eternity on the phone and the best I could do was cancel the flight; pay the cancellation fee and take a flight credit valid for 24 months for the balance owed me. Also if the fare is more when I rebook I pay more... if the fare is less I receive no refund for the difference.

Welcome the new normal... All these "COVID policies" are really starting to piss me off.

Derek, am I right in thinking there is another guy on your ship who you traded off with at set periods? If that is the case what has happened to him? Stuck on board?

Man this is crazy for you. Hope for the best.

Yes Murray there is a guy onboard doing the job when I am gone. He is quite happy to sit there till Christmas apparently. $$$
We did get a few of the expats off for a break onshore as they have been onboard for more than 4 months... and one actually made it home to Scotland. The situation now is the Gov of Indonesia will not let us come into the country and refuse to renew our work visas. It is bananas out there in the world now. I could be home here for months yet...

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Make it a blanketed LAW and not a Recommendation. Best if it were Federal.
Right now the "Average Joe" is telling "Joe Schmuck" what to do everywhere he turns around;
visa versa and chances are both are also covid19-free. Good Grief!
Take it from me, it comes across as a very selfish act depending on how one states it.
"We are in it together" is so far from the reality when it being only a Recommendation
and where (away from the health issue) some suffer greatly and others not at all.
Putting energy towards advocating a LAW will be worthy. Why isn't this understood.
There are Countries in the World that have Authority mandating Mask Laws
and nobody dares go against it.
I personally feel best protected by the Border Closure even though it does leak a bit.
I will not tell anybody within our border or next-door what to do ... as that easily brings unrest.

True, I might be the one of perhaps two with big words on this thread but these are Recommendations
no different to me than someone telling another person not to use Petroleum, not to eat meat,
not to smoke, not to drink, not to skydive. If this is as serious as Driving under the Influence,
then make a LAW. I am refusing to be antagonized over this recommendation stuff but will definitely
will not plecebo or sugar-coat my opinion about some of the covid19 resolves.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread