High Priced Purchases are being regretted ... can't say I did not see this coming ...

I contracted a Builder to build a new residence for us during the pandemic.
With a good quality Builder, it is truly the best way to get a home and get what you pay for - "NEW".
During the pandemic, we found Fredericton rental prices going through the roof.
So much so that monthly rental amounted to more than a mortgage payment in many cases.
We looked at the resale market in what realtors called a "hot market" but was truly something
new and untested "a pandemic market". All the listings that we made an offer on, and lost,
had bids up to $60,000 over asking. What kinda of fool was doing this?
Our realtor kept suggesting we do the same BUT I have a cool head and experience.
I fired 2 realtors in our process for making such suggestions and they said they were upset with me ... Haha.
We ended up contracting for a new build and get possession in about 45 days.

So now that we are much further along on the calendar with the decision to build,
I am hearing/reading about Millennials regretting their High Priced Pandemic Acquisitions that
they have obviously overpaid for. Borrowing Money is cheap.
People have jumped into over-pricing resale housing with bidding wars and
without having any conditions - not even an inspection.
They now complain about Money Pits with repair after repair after repair
on top of the rising sustaining costs of utilities and insurance, etc.
Next year will find more increases due to the current fires across our lands.

So ... some are now trying to dump the acquisitions they cannot afford back into the market
before everyone gets wise about it. Some even asking more than what they paid.

Us old-school grumps who have developed a keen sense for the "smell test" know this too well.
All we can do is shake our head at those who do this. There are speculators out there who
rub their hands with joy for the opportunity to take advantage - hey I am no fool and I don't care.
To each their own for any high-priced acquisition and paying well above reasonable market value
and thinking "they won" at the time and now discovering regret.
Will have to watch for a new Liberal bail-out coming for this that the NDP will take credit for recommending.

LOL ... as always ... JMO - and in this case "just my observation" for not just housing.

High Priced Purchases are being regretted ... can't say I did not see this coming ...

I contracted a Builder to build a new residence for us during the pandemic.
With a good quality Builder, it is truly the best way to get a home and get what you pay for - "NEW".
During the pandemic, we found Fredericton rental prices going through the roof.
So much so that monthly rental amounted to more than a mortgage payment in many cases.
We looked at the resale market in what realtors called a "hot market" but was truly something
new and untested "a pandemic market". All the listings that we made an offer on, and lost,
had bids up to $60,000 over asking. What kinda of fool was doing this?
Our realtor kept suggesting we do the same BUT I have a cool head and experience.
I fired 2 realtors in our process for making such suggestions and they said they were upset with me ... Haha.
We ended up contracting for a new build and get possession in about 45 days.

So now that we are much further along on the calendar with the decision to build,
I am hearing/reading about Millennials regretting their High Priced Pandemic Acquisitions that
they have obviously overpaid for. Borrowing Money is cheap.
People have jumped into over-pricing resale housing with bidding wars and
without having any conditions - not even an inspection.
They now complain about Money Pits with repair after repair after repair
on top of the rising sustaining costs of utilities and insurance, etc.
Next year will find more increases due to the current fires across our lands.

So ... some are now trying to dump the acquisitions they cannot afford back into the market
before everyone gets wise about it. Some even asking even more than what they paid.

Us old-school grumps who have developed a sense of "smell test" know this too well.
All we can do is shake our head at those who do this. There are speculators out there who
rub their hands with joy for the opportunity to take advantage - hey I am no fool and I don't care.
To each their own for any high-priced acquisition and paying well above reasonable market value
and thinking "they won" at the time and now discovering regret.
Will have to watch for a new Liberal bail-out coming for this that the NDP will take credit for recommending.

LOL ... as always ... JMO - and in this case "just my observation"
The downside of the bubble is beginning to happen. On the good side I was a real estate seller in the YYC market...and bought in an area where prices were already depressed. :)

Reactions: YFCvii
The downside of the bubble is beginning to happen. On the good side I was a real estate seller in the YYC market...and bought in an area where prices were already depressed. :)
Did the same for 2 Corvettes ... just fell upon them 5 years ago - and not for speculative resell ... :thumbs:

Our builder asking price has risen 9% since we signed - we are protected - and still get "NEW".
We added one major item to our "after-the-build" that has already help resell the same model on
a neighboring lot for 17% more ... the "smell test" is something developed and not given. :angelic:

A new toy I will have ... my own built-in "power generating plant" in the land of next-to-no natural gas heating.
Ya not because I am a green-house gas advocate either ... it's not dependent on the Sun nor the Wind :angelic:

Last edited:
1629156976490.jpeg

Here we have a snap election platform wanting re-election
based on Covid Whatnot Jargon toward his Competitors.

A picture is a 1000 words ... entitlements abound
and yet not one question asked/answered that
relates to the name on this
"Mr. Carbon Tax Man" Airplane :mad:

... front of the line covid-era hypocrite
View attachment 85894
Not only that but JT called an election because he said the parliament was "non functional" when in reality it was functioned just like it is supposed to do. The government was not defeated on any legislation so it is just because he thinks he can win a majority to ram crap down our throats. What happened to the 4 year election law?
Pisses me off a bit that the G.G. did not refuse his request to dissolve parliament on a whim.
At any rate we are off to the races to see which party can outspend the other ones and put us more in debt.
One of the reasons I don't support any of the parties. They are just too good at spending.
Maybe I'll vote rhinoceros this time. We had them on the ballot last election.

Everything on this planet tries to kill us. Life is about survival and survival decisions. We call a major airline accident an “accident” when in reality it was the law of gravity doing what it does. It is no accident but just a replay of the apple hitting Newton on the head. Everything in the woods and ocean is designed to eviscerate us and yet we still go for picnics. Some go hiking in the mountains and even bring a condiment to make themselves taste better.

Covid is just another in a long line of things that is trying to end our reign of terror on this third rock from the sun. Most of us will survive temporarily, some will succumb sooner than others. The uncomfortable truth is no one get’s out of here alive.

Enjoy life while you can because life is a consumable.

Last edited:
Everything on this planet tries to kill us. Life is about survival and survival decisions. We call a major airline accident an “accident” when in reality it was the law of gravity doing what it does. It is no accident but just a replay of the apple hitting Newton on the head. Everything in the woods and ocean is designed to eviscerate us and yet we still go for picnics. Some go hiking in the mountains and even bring a condiment to make themselves taste better.

Covid is just another in a long line of things that is trying to end our reign of terror on this third rock from the sun. Most of us will survive temporarily, some will succumb sooner than others. The uncomfortable truth is no one get’s out of here alive.

… and here I was thinking only to be worried about a cop perched at the next bridge ready to pull me over and give me a speeding ticket 😂

Last edited:

Any chance we could ask you to fill that glass up the rest of the way?.....lol...

Well this brought the mood right down

Observation ... not really a point for discussing as it all just continues on and on and on ...

18 months now ... and the USA remains at a pace of 1/2 million deaths per year due to covid ...
appears so many down there are absolutely fine with it too. I am one for choice and not one to segregate
... even with it being increasingly difficult not to relate this now as being the pandemic of the un-vaxed.
People around the world still unable to get vaccinated.
I have a good Canadian friend overseas who wants the jab but still cannot get it.
Logistics for travelling back to Canada for the jab are simply impossible if not risky to justify - being
stopped from going further in the journey due to multiple flights, multiple costly covid tests and
whatever else that would hit-the-fan along the way. It's a work in progress though for him coming back.

... meanwhile in the USA, 5-8 times this many will die each year ...
texas.png

Last edited:
Reactions: OL Yeller
Here's one for the books... Just heard from a relative in Ontario. She went to the early polling station to vote as she was going to be away on the 20th. About a dozen or so outside waiting to get in including a group of 4 anti-maskers talking to each other. When they got to the door, they told the officer they refused to wear a mask. The station was quite large and my relative figured they were about 30 or more people inside at the time. They decided to allow the anti maskers in one at a time only, but they had to wait until the station was completely empty. After all the people left the station, they proceeded to let the anti maskers in. Then they went through the ever growing line of people waiting and asked if there were any more anti maskers, and moved them all to the front of the line to enter one at a time to vote as well. Other than some grumbling by the masked people who lost their place in line and had to wait, nothing was said to the anti maskers, and what should have been a 10 minute trip to vote had my 80 year old aunt waiting in line for an hour and a half. Damn good thing I wasn't there. Canadians are just too nice...

Here's one for the books... Just heard from a relative in Ontario. She went to the early polling station to vote as she was going to be away on the 20th. About a dozen or so outside waiting to get in including a group of 4 anti-maskers talking to each other. When they got to the door, they told the officer they refused to wear a mask. The station was quite large and my relative figured they were about 30 or more people inside at the time. They decided to allow the anti maskers in one at a time only, but they had to wait until the station was completely empty. After all the people left the station, they proceeded to let the anti maskers in. Then they went through the ever growing line of people waiting and asked if there were any more anti maskers, and moved them all to the front of the line to enter one at a time to vote as well. Other than some grumbling by the masked people who lost their place in line and had to wait, nothing was said to the anti maskers, and what should have been a 10 minute trip to vote had my 80 year old aunt waiting in line for an hour and a half. Damn good thing I wasn't there. Canadians are just too nice...
If Ontario was like Alberta they would have given them $100 💰too … OMG

• Haha
Reactions: Rruuff Day
If Ontario was like Alberta they would have given them $100 💰too … OMG 👎🏻
Lol.... true that. Just got back from camping trip on Castle River near Beaver Mines, Ab. The local service station had a sign up in the store that said more or less "Based on the Ab. regulation brought in on Sept. 4th, masks must be worn inside the store. Then there was a note lower on the sign that said " And besides, It might protect you from breathing in whatever it was that Jason Kenny was smoking when he allowed us to get into this whole mess".... I regretted not taking a picture of the sign...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread