Deposits are typically a portion of the actual charge for the stay. So by not cancelling it would have hit even deeper. I would avoid a place with a full prepayment policy But this is not about the deposit amount but rather the Business Principle. I am very upset with Businesses forced to shut down right now, (yyssw mine being one) and added to it, is Businesses like Northern Rockies Lodge who take advantage of it - chalking it up to “that’s policy”, If this place was in Alberta, it would be one of the almost 400 Businesses that the Kenny Policy is looking in to. But I won’t bother with the BC government because they are saying they don’t want us there right now so their response can easily be speculated. Agreed, the place really looked like one to visit and I chose it blindly. I know the Company I had would help for tolerating anything substandard. The group had to be small because of the final destination that was limited to only six cabins (which were part booked). I anticipate another go at the trip next year 🙏🏻 and now that I have this rant-warning out of my system, even I can easily drive by it without elevating my anxiety about the place because my (our) best resolve is to drive just drive by and “salute” 😂👍🏻💸

My apologies Sp. I misread and thought you were being charged the full amount.

Edmonton·
Alberta to relaunch Thursday
but COVID-19 restrictions
to remain for Calgary, Brooks

Waking today to beautiful skies and warm weather to discover
that I am a designated Black Sheep Zombie Citizen & Business Owner
by my Provincial Government. Do I dare cross the City Limits into
the land of the free and risk the chance that someone might recognize me?

Last edited:
Edmonton·
Alberta to relaunch Thursday
but COVID-19 restrictions
to remain for Calgary, Brooks

Waking today to beautiful skies and warm weather to discover
that I am a designated Black Sheep Zombie Citizen & Business Owner
by my own Province Government. Do I dare cross the City Limits into
the land of the free and risk the chance that someone might know me?
We would welcome you with open arms in Rocky View County.

... I am admittingly pretty much feeling down for sharing my opinion
on covid-whatnot impact that varies from the dictatorial and selective
resolve for economic shut-down of many "mom&pop" "grass-root" operations.
I have realized that I have to pledge support in a another way and not on this Forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
... I am admittingly pretty much feeling slammed for sharing my opinion
on the covid whatnot impact on the economy from dictatorial and selective
resolve of economic shut-down of many "mom&pop" "grass-root" operations.
I have realized that I have to support these people in a different away
and away from this Forum.
However today,
I am increasingly grateful for the CEWS of the Government that I did not vote for.
I'm pretty sure the same people not liking my economic opinion may also
not be liking what these costs will be doing in our future. I not looking
forward to that BUT for now, I am embracing the CEWS bandaid ...
and for what it does for activity employed tax-paying colleagues, neighbours and
friends who are shut-down from being 100% productive.

As far as I am concerned you just keep on expressing your opinion. It is still a free country. That is what was fought for some 80 years ago. Just remember that that coin does have two sides and just because it may not jive with your opinion that does not necessarily render it invalid. This needs to be further discussed over several beer

As far as I am concerned you just keep on expressing your opinion. It is still a free country. That is what was fought for some 80 years ago. Just remember that that coin does have two sides and just because it may not jive with your opinion that does not necessarily render it invalid. This needs to be further discussed over several beer
Definitely no worry on the Beer part ... 🤪

I know it goes without saying that a fair amount of future personal financial unpleasantry is likely now seeded with the costs directly attributed to this shut-down. Realizing my self-employed retirement plan is currently like a pile of pick-up sticks that is likely to be rebuilt as a house-of-cards. Hope the “big-bad wolf” passes by in the future but who really knows ... so yes ... (family & friends aside) I do have beer and the Corvette but not at the same time 😇

Last edited:
SN-III don't stop writing and defending what you think. I have been to too many countries where you can get into a lot of trouble for having a contrarian opinion. I will admit that there are things you write that I don't agree with and things you write that I do. We all have a right to express our opinion on matters as long as no-one crosses the line into hate, discrimination or worse.

Still too early to draw any conclusions from this:

Says some had mild symptoms and didn't report them, others they haven't contact traced yet so they don't know how they got it or why others presented as "asymptomatic".

But fifty asymptomatic cases out of 1500 tested over approx 3 days (and only in Calgary) is not a good indicator for what will happen with opening up local businesses.

Do what you will with the info, I'm just posting the story I read online....no agenda here for me either way...

Still too early to draw any conclusions from this:

Says some had mild symptoms and didn't report them, others they haven't contact traced yet so they don't know how they got it or why others presented as "asymptomatic".

But fifty asymptomatic cases out of 1500 tested over approx 3 days (and only in Calgary) is not a good indicator for what will happen with opening up local businesses.

Do what you will with the info, I'm just posting the story I read online....no agenda here for me either way...
I would want to know if those 50 were brought back in to verify that they were not false positives.

If I don't have this wrong, fifty asymptomatic cases out of 1500
was discovered as a result of a study of volunteers in Calgary.
Results of perhaps more than 6000 total volunteers remain to be determined.

Nobody is volunteering for this anywhere else in the Country so, of course, it's
going to be seen as "Calgary Only". I think this is reflecting wrongly on all the people of Calgary
giving the impression that we are toxic and not privileged to be able to
restart our economy.

Why not do the same study with volunteers in Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal?
These flight destinations share something in common on day one of the lock-down with Calgary.
I am speculating there may be similar results.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
If I don't have this wrong, fifty asymptomatic cases out of 1500
was discovered as a result of a study of volunteers in Calgary.
Results of perhaps more than 6000 total volunteers remain to be determined.

Nobody is volunteering for this anywhere else in the Country so, of course, it's
going to be seen as "Calgary Only". I think this is reflecting wrongly on all the people of Calgary
giving the impression that we are toxic and not privileged to be able to
restart our economy.

Why not do the same study with volunteers in Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal?
These flight destinations share something in common on day one of the lock-down with Calgary.
I am speculating there may be similar results.
At the beginning of this I thought QC was showing more cases because the were testing more and maybe that was the case for a while.
Now I must say that I have never seen such ineptness and ignorance among so many well educated people - the administrators and managers within the health care system. Obviously it is not all of them but there are enough that it is just facilitating the spread of CV-19. When they take workers out of a "hot" zone and move them in to a "cold" zone, when they do not want to test workers from a hot zone because they are not showing any symptoms before transferring them it shows that even so called educated people have little comprehension about how the virus is spread.
Apparently the best health minister in Canada so far is from BC. She knew what to do BEFORE the proverbial s**t hit the fan. So they have less spread and less deaths.

Observation:
When Calgary opened twin runways a few years back, our house suddenly was under the approach/take-off path (depending of the wind). Today is my first day of the year to be able to just sit outside, relax and enjoy a Beer ... I just realized ... how quiet the skies are 🙁 and the mixed feelings that I have as it has honestly not been this noticeably quiet in the skies for me since 9/11

Last edited:
Observation:
After more than 2 months, finally had to break down and order essential supplies, shipped in 6 different source packages of supplies.
I am really trying hard to embrace this close-my-business and stay-at-home advocacy as I am out-numbered with my point-of-view.
Well 4 of 6 packages made it to my doorstep by Amazon, UPS and Fed Ex.
2 packages ended up somewhere else in our neighbourhood with "horseshoes & hand-grenades" delivery with a "close counts" attitude.

Suggestion: 🤔
How about a covid-competency test for workers who want to be thanked for working ...
and shutdown-at-home all those workers who really don’t give a s**t

😷 !

edit: I've elaborated on this comment below

Last edited:
That's all we need... More workers that don't give a s**t staying home with a smile on their faces and collecting 2k a month. Kick their a$$es around the block until they do their jobs right...

That's all we need... More workers that don't give a s**t staying home with a smile on their faces and collecting 2k a month. Kick their a$$es around the block until they do their jobs right...
Not to be argumentative but we all do realize that when the public is asking the gov't for support due to job losses, we're not actually asking the gov't to GIVE us money. We're asking them to GIVE IT BACK!

Gov't money isn't gov't money, they get it from us in the form of taxes, taxes, taxes.

I'm actually kind of tired of a political party being voted into power and then spending and doing whatever they wish with legislation and the coffers. they have forgotten that the money isn't theirs, it's ours.

I don't have anlot of issue with people who have paid taxes their whole lives getting a "hand up" from the organization they've been giving a good 40-42% of their income to.

I do have an issue with politicians going on little "junkets" with OUR money. LIke when the PM took his "entourage" to that private island on our dime and the "family vacation" to India that he tried to hide as a trip to increase commerce with India (who didn't even want to talk to him).....

I assumed an understanding of my comment (my over-sight) so I will elaborate.
Swap -out and employ workers who care about what they do for a living ...
There are actually plenty of really great workers not allowed to work right now .. I know of many.

2 unemployed in the house who find tall hurdles even for the minimum $15/hr job.
Being told, mainly by Millennial HR covidiots ...
"Sorry it's an entry position the the company and you are over-qualified".
Meanwhile a father's worse nightmare for dating his daughter can come along and get the job
as long as it doesn't interfere with his gaming time ...

There will be particular $2k/month "CERB beneficiaries" who will soon not be smiling as
the CERB comes to a demise fairly soon ... more on that topic below.

Last edited:
Well, NS is talking about maintaining the "lockdown" until 21 June 2020. Nothing official, just rumours being spread by people in gov't (Premier has let it slip once).

So no haircuts for a while yet.

Warm weather is hitting here (24c today) and I may have to take matters into my own hands soon:

81ErpyQeDCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I don't really care if my hair gets long, but it gets pretty warm in summer and I don't deal with heat and humidity well. Something Annapolis valley is known for.

Been almost a year since I've clippered (retired military), but #3 or #4 is looking better and better the hotter it gets.......

Not to be argumentative but we all do realize that when the public is asking the gov't for support due to job losses, we're not actually asking the gov't to GIVE us money. We're asking them to GIVE IT BACK!

Gov't money isn't gov't money, they get it from us in the form of taxes, taxes, taxes.

I'm actually kind of tired of a political party being voted into power and then spending and doing whatever they wish with legislation and the coffers. they have forgotten that the money isn't theirs, it's ours.

I don't have anlot of issue with people who have paid taxes their whole lives getting a "hand up" from the organization they've been giving a good 40-42% of their income to.

I do have an issue with politicians going on little "junkets" with OUR money. LIke when the PM took his "entourage" to that private island on our dime and the "family vacation" to India that he tried to hide as a trip to increase commerce with India (who didn't even want to talk to him).....
I agree with the temporary Federal assistance however ... post-CERB.
Initially, the CERB was for those who had a particular 2019 T4 income.
The $2k for 16 weeks CERB was not for those who did not work last year.
I actually chose not to apply for CERB .. I was a wise choice without elaborating.
The other programs, I will not blend into this other than CEWS, as it's about putting
people to work again.

Now with the hopeful CERB demise next month, the CEWS is only for getting people to work
Checks & balances are in place for legitimacy via the Corporate T4 summary at year end.
There will be new boxes on T4 slips (I am having to prepare for it in my Corporate Accounting)
Businesses will not pocket any of the CEWS and in fact may have added expense to employ accounting
measures to implement the program into their payroll (essentially increasing the 2020 year-end loss).
Now people may argue that I am blowing wind as the Businesses are getting the
benefit of CEWS and it is reported as taxable income. Well, it also has to
be reported equally as a Salary&Wage expense - otherwise one will be in deep auditing s**t.

I am not dancing around with CEWS and I know there may be some out there trying to
take advantage of something they are not entitled to. I am not supporting any of that
but really am in support for businesses to have point-of-sale with doors open and
employing tax-paying employees/workers and on down the line.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread