Well finally discussed HTC/coupe with wife (supermodel). My previous was HTC MB SLK350 purchased in 2005. I specced an HTC but she specced coupe. I'm OK with all her choices. So her rationale: convertibles are bought by old guys who want to be cool but aren't and want to drive by high schools and see who looks (no one)

The convertible, with top down, is noisy, bad for your skin, bad for your hair, bad sound system, cannot make phone calls, etc etc. Its just a waste of money. No one thinks its good but you. The only benefit is you can put it back on quickly. Huh?
Look at it this way- you’re still getting a C8!

Reactions: Bunny hop
Well finally discussed HTC/coupe with wife (supermodel). My previous was HTC MB SLK350 purchased in 2005. I specced an HTC but she specced coupe. I'm OK with all her choices. So her rationale: convertibles are bought by old guys who want to be cool but aren't and want to drive by high schools and see who looks (no one)

The convertible, with top down, is noisy, bad for your skin, bad for your hair, bad sound system, cannot make phone calls, etc etc. Its just a waste of money. No one thinks its good but you. The only benefit is you can put it back on quickly. Huh?
I was 18 when I bought a convertible Camaro so I beg to differ .

Yup, my supermodel wife would say exactly the same thing. She says I do not have long hair, so I would not understand. Your supermodel wife should meet my supermodel wife to discuss our faults, if you are in the lower mainland, before u make your final decision, LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: Murray20c8

I disagree, you can use sunscreen, but its definitely important to get some Vitamin D. The convertible is more fun, it costs more money, initially I was thinking of saving money and buying the coupe, but after having a HTC (which I got at MSRP Brand new without any wait), I'd never switch to a coupe. The HTC is super convenient, and cant imagine every time having having to take the roof off manually. Best part is I just got to press a button for 15-16 seconds and we are good. Also regarding the hair, use hair product, and tell your wife to tie her hair up before getting in the car.

I disagree, you can use sunscreen, but its definitely important to get some Vitamin D. The convertible is more fun, it costs more money, initially I was thinking of saving money and buying the coupe, but after having a HTC (which I got at MSRP Brand new without any wait), I'd never switch to a coupe. The HTC is super convenient, and cant imagine every time having having to take the roof off manually. Best part is I just got to press a button for 15-16 seconds and we are good. Also regarding the hair, use hair product, and tell your wife to tie her hair up before getting in the car.
The wind factor is minimal in the HTC , speaking on behalf of my supermodel wife since I have no hair and always wear a cap .

...Your supermodel wife should meet my supermodel wife to discuss our faults...
That discussion would take more than a few hours, however another member and I periodically travel up to Whistler (his HTC Red Mist; my Coupe Rapid Blue) so I will send you a PM for info
...Best part is I just got to press a button for 15-16 seconds and we are good. Also regarding the hair, use hair product, and tell your wife to tie her hair up before getting in the car.
Best part is I don't even have a button. Plus in 15 seconds, apparently I am already at 200kph and 1/4 mile away.
The wind factor is minimal in the HTC .
Hmmm, A friend with HTC phoned me on our trip to Whistler and he could hear me perfectly but what I could hear was SHRRRRFDGGGFFD BLGGHHGHGHGHG

OK, really I have nothing against convertibles: My first car was MGB, Then AH 3000, then XKE, then Fiat 124 Spider, and most recently MB SLK350. I thought I would really miss the convertible but with transparent top, I find I am not missing it much. Just a little jealous when friend pushes his HTC button. Maybe next time I won't let her spec the car...

..... Sure ....

Last edited:
I currently have both but if I only could have one, it would be the HTC. The HTC is way easier to clean as you don't have to worry about how the engine compartment looks after washing and the storage space is pretty much the same as the coupeView attachment 109346.
This guy with the winning colours over here :)
Love love love accelerate yellow - photos never do it justice as when you see it in-person.
How are you finding them here in Edmonton? Pot holes treating ya well? :p

After three years driving the coupe and now one week in a convertible these are the things I noticed.

1) I put the roof down and up all the time with the HTC. Its so much easier and so quick. I struggled with the Coupe lifting the roof off as I have a herniated disk in my neck. This is 100 times easier for me.
2) The wind noise and buffeting in the HTC at highway speeds is noticeably better than the coupe. With the side windows and rear window up it is much more comfortable for driver and passenger to have a conversation and not have their hair blown all over the place.
3) When putting the top up and down in traffic its a real show stopper. You could charge for admission with all the gawking and thumbs up.
4) rear visibility when using the normal mirror is pretty bad. Much worse than my coupe.
5) My coupe was a 1LT and it didn't have the camera mirror. The new HTC has it and I really don't like it. The glare off of it makes it almost unusable. I'm not sure if tinting my windows will help but I will report back after I find out.

When using the regular rear view mirror, tilt it down more than normal. You will see more of the car body but will also see MUCH more of the vehicles behind you.
Interesting! I wonder if that would apply to the coupe as well.

Scott, now that you saw the clear engine cover on mine to allow you to see and display your engine, it’s a no brainer. Just be ready for a lot of attention as you have paparazzi snapping pics as your HTC becomes a transformer with the roof going up and down mesmerizing people. Plus the thrill / ability to raise and lower the top while driving. Plus like others have said you gain a 2nd trunk (no roof panel to haul). I call that a win-win-win-win. My vote is and always will be HTC. If it was a Z06 might be a different answer

Reactions: Sea Wolf Z06
Scott, now that you saw the clear engine cover on mine to allow you to see and display your engine, it’s a no brainer. Just be ready for a lot of attention as you have paparazzi snapping pics as your HTC becomes a transformer with the roof going up and down mesmerizing people. Plus the thrill / ability to raise and lower the top while driving. Plus like others have said you gain a 2nd trunk (no roof panel to haul). I call that a win-win-win-win. My vote is and always will be HTC. If it was a Z06 might be a different answer
Wait, are you saying that for an HTC, you can switch the black cover of the engine, for a clear one?

Reactions: Neils
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.