Sta-bil

We have a '97 Olds LSS with the supercharged 3.8. It has been stored every winter since new. All we do is spread some Bounce dryer sheets around inside, Fill the tank with gas and the appropriate amount of Sta-bil and put the car away after a 20 mile run. The battery gets disconnected. We've never had a problem. We will do the same with the Corvette and have also bought a battery tender type charge just for a little more insurance. We have found from our cottage experience that mothballs just stink the place up and do not keep the mice out. So far the Bounce sheets have kept the mice away and it has been six or seven years since we started that in the cottage.

We have a '97 Olds LSS with the supercharged 3.8. It has been stored every winter since new. All we do is spread some Bounce dryer sheets around inside, Fill the tank with gas and the appropriate amount of Sta-bil and put the car away after a 20 mile run. The battery gets disconnected. We've never had a problem. We will do the same with the Corvette and have also bought a battery tender type charge just for a little more insurance. We have found from our cottage experience that mothballs just stink the place up and do not keep the mice out. So far the Bounce sheets have kept the mice away and it has been six or seven years since we started that in the cottage.

I agree.The "bounce sheets" are the best thing if little critters are a problem.

Good thread this time of year--I've already started knocking things off the list--same as I'm getting my last licks in with the 'Vette before snowfall lately. The joy of travelling for work..............

Anyways, I got some Maguires leather conditioner (in the form of wipes) and some Maguires dash restoration goop. It's in a liquid form that I'm supposed to spread using a cloth. Anyone try this stuff on the forums?

I'm also thinking of changing my sprakplugs (yes on my own!!!). Is it as simple as removing the railcovers on the top of my LS2 enigne and unscrewing the plugs and then replacing with a quick-twist? Do they need to be torqued? If they're more difficult to get at, I'd be inclined to take it somewhere--I guess it would be on myt spring schedule though.

I've been reading about 40 lbs PSI on some people's tires. Would my Hankook Ventus V12s need this? I'd rather not inflate the pressure--as I might forget that I did in the spring. While I'm at it, why the plywood under the tires? Is that for a softer parking spot for months at a time? Does anyone put their baby on jacks for the winer, or does that just lead to more sag on the suspension anyways?

The CTEK smart-charger was purchased at Canadian Tire, I got my fabric softeners (I never knew these kept mice away) on-hand, so I think I'm ready for when the day comes.

Lastly--the car-cover is ominously sitting in my mud-room waiting to put the Black Beauty into hibernation.

Have I missed anything?

Cheers,

Vince.

Last edited:
Good thread this time of year--I've already started knocking things off the list--same as I'm getting my last licks in with the 'Vette before snowfall lately. The joy of travelling for work..............

Anyways, I got some Maguires leather conditioner (in the form of wipes) and some Maguires dash restoration goop. It's in a liquid form that I'm supposed to spread using a cloth. Anyone try this stuff on the forums?

I'm also thinking of changing my sprakplugs (yes on my own!!!). Is it as simple as removing the railcovers on the top of my LS2 enigne and unscrewing the plugs and then replacing with a quick-twist? Do they need to be torqued? If they're more difficult to get at, I'd be inclined to take it somewhere--I guess it would be on myt spring schedule though.

I've been reading about 40 lbs PSI on some people's tires. Would my Hankook Ventus V12s need this? I'd rather not inflate the pressure--as I might forget that I did in the spring. While I'm at it, why the plywood under the tires? Is that for a softer parking spot for months at a time? Does anyone put their baby on jacks for the winer, or does that just lead to more sag on the suspension anyways?

The CTEK smart-charger was purchased at Canadian Tire, I got my fabric softeners (I never knew these kept mice away) on-hand, so I think I'm ready for when the day comes.

Lastly--the car-cover is ominously sitting in my mud-room waiting to put the Black Beauty into hibernation.

Have I missed anything?

Cheers,

Vince.

Hey Vince,
Plugs aren't difficult at all once the rail covers are off. If you have a universal joint (did I just say that.:D) for the plug wrench it helps get around a couple tight spots.
Torque is important and these non gasketted plugs don't need much -- I believe the spec is in the 12 lb range so you don't want to put much torque on the wrench when you put them back in. I used a very little copper based anti-seize on the threads (remember that stuff goes a long way so don't over use it -- it can cause a mess) Its use is important due to the aluminum heads.
Also check the gaps carefully -- the .040" spec can easily be thrown off by dropping the plug or box. Careful not to bend or touch the soft platinum center electrode -- it will deform and move easily.

I've used Meguiar's products a lot over the years and would have no qualms about using their dash and leather conditioner.

Tires would benefit from raising the pressure to 40 and by raising off the floor or parking on soft surface (pads) or on dollies. I like the dollies I have because it allows me to move the vehicle somewhat. N02 tire fills will benefit here since ordinary air has moisture in it. Costco used to do this for nothing check 'em out otherwise it's a few dollars per tire. Worth it to prevent leakage due to the wheel's aluminum oxidizing where it meets the tire.

Raising the wheels off the ground, or parking on dollies or a soft surface will help prevent flat spotting which seems to be a problem with some 'vettes.

Don't worry about the tires being hard in the spring -- You'll remember once you drive again as the suspension will seem be quite hard, and you'll notice traction is compromised somewhat due to improper contact patch. Just make it a point of adjusting pressures again in the spring. I would think you would anyway since some tires leak a little over long periods of inactivity.

Some don't bother but I always put mine away with fresh oil in the crankcase (and filter of course). I hate the old stuff sitting in the pan and all over the internals since it has been somewhat polluted with moisture and products of combustion.

If you're real ambitious, wash and wax the body and wheels before connecting the Ctek, spreading out the fabric softeners here and there, and finally covering.

It's been a great summer but still seems to have flown by. The only consolation is that spring isn't too far off once we get by Christmas and New Years.
This year I'm not going to take the 'vette off the road so quickly in case we get a late winter and fairly mild fall.

Watch those summer tires tho (if you have them) -- anything below 50 degree F (10 degree C) the grip is severely diminished on acceleration and braking.

I always fill my gas tank and put some Sta-Bil in to help keep it good until spring.

There may be some more tips I missed -- check back to the beginning of Riley's thread for details.

Enjoy the 'vette while you can. All of us will as long as we can.

Cheers,
Colin.

Last edited:
I perform many of the steps listed above in regard to winter storage of my ZR-1. Because of the change in climate during winter months, I also put 1" plywood under body to protect from moisture coming up from cement floor on to underside of the car. I fill my tires with Nitrogen at 36PSI and have found by spring time tires lose hardly any pressure. Also I leave windows cracked slightly to allow any moisture to escape from inside of car.I also drive my car till the end of November providing roads have no snow or salt used. "Happy motoring Guys"

Unlike last year I plan to keep the car on the road as long as possible, aiming for December. I followed the tips in this thread last year and in March I was rewarded by the car starting up like it had never been put to sleep. :D

thanks for your response guys. I'll think about looking for some pleywood.

Not sure if the Bounce sheets are needed, but better to be safe than sorry. Car will smell good too!

Having the windows open a crack is probably a good idea--especially since the leather care and dash care products went on.

Colin--I really appreciate your well thought-out and detailed response. Thanks a bunch!

Vince

If you have any concerns about mice, I would also suggest putting some steel wool in the tail pipes to prevent them from building a nest and plugging it off.... and Colin already mentioned the Sta-bil so we are good!

I perform many of the steps listed above in regard to winter storage of my ZR-1. Because of the change in climate during winter months, I also put 1" plywood under body to protect from moisture coming up from cement floor on to underside of the car. I fill my tires with Nitrogen at 36PSI and have found by spring time tires lose hardly any pressure. Also I leave windows cracked slightly to allow any moisture to escape from inside of car.I also drive my car till the end of November providing roads have no snow or salt used. "Happy motoring Guys"

Good point on the windows -- I leave the d/side down enough to make entry just in case the battery fails and you have to get in easily. Yes there's the key to enter the trunk and access the release but with the window down it's much easier to get to the hood release which btw I leave cracked open too.
I totally forgot about the garage floor which I cover with carpeting -- I also don't like the cold and moisture coming off the floor which will affect metal parts and the rubber tires.

As Riley says -- the steel wool will keep out the little critters from the exhausts.

I know it would be all but miraculous for us to have another winter like the last one but it's in my prayers every night and also keep fingers crossed in case that makes a difference.:D

Let's enjoy the rides while we can this year fall -- safe and happy driving everyone.

C.

OK OK.

Got some OSB board for the garage--hope it works as good as plywood for softness on tires and moisture blockage...............

Polished the car today as well, but didn't do a great job--why bother, the first thing I'm going to do in the spring is give it a real nice wash anyways.

Bought Stabil in the 236 millimeter bottle--I put about 85% of the bottle in my tank, then idled/revved my engine for about 10 minutes. How much do you guys put in the tank?

Got the tires to 40 lbs of pressure and have the C-Tek hooked up and charging now!! Do you guys just use the clipper things? I did that and set it on the snowflake setting.......

The only debate I have is on putting the cover on. I want to, but don't want the chord from the charger scratching the paint on the fender. I was dumb enough to make some scratches by the trunk using a vacuum yesterday.:swear:

My garage--being new--will be ok for mice, so no exhaust blocking or fabric softener for this guy. It's sealed tight.

Changed the oil a couple weeks ago, and conditioned the leather and dash--my dash looks awesome now--clean as a whistle with that new car smell. I love it! Actually, it has that new car look--save for some flaws in the paint.

Sad day though still.....:(

CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brent08
A couple pics of the sleeping beauty.

Note the C-Tek on the floor and the OSB board. Thanks for the suggestions in this thread. I think I did almost everything mentioned.

Hibernate gently, my love. Be well rested for the spring--the headers will wake you up in the spring!

IMG-20121014-00026_zpsbb5cefb4.jpg

IMG-20121014-00025_zps062bd74d.jpg

God, where has the summer gone? -- Almost hurts to see our 'vettes inactive.

This reminds me: I must lay the carpets down on the garage floor ready to put my baby away. I'm hoping for a few more trip here and there. I hate to think of her sleeping so long.

The StaBil I have says the 1/2 liter will treat 150 liters of gas, so about 250ml. (1/4 liter) of StaBil will treat a full tank (68 liters).
I plan to drive it for 10 minutes to make sure the fuel in the system will be treated also -- (as you did).

My C-Tek connects with the alligator clips. I don't have a cigarette lighter connection that the optional charger provides so I go to the underhood hookup.

Since it's inside, I leave my driver's side window down a few inches and the hook popped just in case I need access.

Let's hope we get an early spring so that we may get these babies out again doing what they do best..........:D

C.

Reactions: Chpprjck
Well, I just finished putting the silver '75 away for the winter. Beautiful day today which made it difficult to accept, but I had to get it done soon; winter in these parts of Ontario can come very quickly.

Thanks for all the great tips in this thread. I've got the plywood down, the tires inflated to 35psi (the max for my TA's), the stabil in the tank and ran through the carb, the c-tek is hooked up, the bounce sheets are inside and the steel wool in the exhaust. I checked the antifreeze as well just in case we get another ice-age.

I hope it's an early spring. I'm really glad I got down to Guelph last week to meet for coffee; looking forward to doing the same come April maybe. :seeya:

Greg.

let's hope it's an early spring and we can get out in March/April of next year.

Would love to come up your way next time Greg......Let's see how things work out but that would be great to meet up your way next time.
Cheers,
Colin

let's hope it's an early spring and we can get out in March/April of next year.

Would love to come up your way next time Greg......Let's see how things work out but that would be great to meet up your way next time.
Cheers,
Colin

I'd like that very much Colin. Lot's of beautiful scenery here.

The big event up here is always Wings and Wheels at the local airport in June. More of a classic car/antique event but always a good show.

Owen Sound Wings and Wheels Event in June, Official Home Page

have the C-Tek hooked up and charging now!!

Do you guys just use the clipper things? I did that and set it on the snowflake setting.......

Question!! Do I need a C-Tek for a car sitting in a heated garage?
Could I not just take battery out? or unhook it
Garage is 50 F all winter
427carl

Last edited:
have the C-Tek hooked up and charging now!!

Do you guys just use the clipper things? I did that and set it on the snowflake setting.......

Question!! Do I need a C-Tek for a car sitting in a heated garage?
Could I not just take battery out? or unhook it
Garage is 50 F all winter
427carl

In my opinion Carl, the Ctek is a goood idea for the winter as it helps to "cycle" the battery all winter which extends its life. I just use the alligator clips. One of these days I may hook up the rings instead.

Greg.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.