I recall some mentioning the C8 shock towers filling with water after washing the car or going through decent rain, which could potentially lead to its bolts rusting. I haven't had mine long enough to know and it's now parked. Here's a YouTube video showing a potential solution. Has anyone tried this? Any other better ideas how to deal with this?

I found one eBay listing for the covers which says the C8 has a "design flaw" that (of course) their product can correct:

And there's another set of covers by the same eBay seller for those who have the mag ride option:

It doesn't look like he ships to Canada. Assuming we need this, does anyone know of any other sellers and hopefully more reasonably priced?

Last edited:
From a bit more "research" I see some recommended the tried and true duct tape solution. A different DIY fix was posted by “MNVETTE” on midenginecorvetteforum November 9/20:
Too much time on my hands last weekend, so decided to try to find a solution to the front shock tower water issue. I had this same problem (water accumulating). I could not find any drain water holes to glue shut and did not want to do anything to modify the shock towers (drilling) or any other OEM part. I looked for existing plastic covers (Tupperware, food container, etc.) that would just cover the shock tower but nothing seemed to fit.
I did have a few scraps of 1/8" thick polycarbonate (Lexan) so I made a paper template, cut the plastic will a saber saw, then sanded and polished the edges (see photo).
To attach the covers I started with a 2" length of 3/8" fuel line, two spring clamps, a 1 1/2" long 3/8-16 stud, and the nuts (see photo).
To assemble, just pull the rubber cover off the shock stud in the middle of the shock tower. Then push the fuel line over the shock stud, adjust the length of the 3?8" stud so enough of the stud goes through the cover to put the nuts on (see photo).
I have not washed the car or been in the rain to see how well it works yet, but with about two hours of work and some scrap supplies I thought it was worth a try.

Hope this helps out and my thanks to "MNVETTE".

Attachments

• image_29251.jpg
    image_29251.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 205
  • image_29249.jpg
    image_29249.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 188
  • image_29252.jpg
    image_29252.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
From a bit more "research" I see some recommended the tried and true duct tape solution. A different DIY fix was posted by “MNVETTE” on midenginecorvetteforum November 9/20:
Too much time on my hands last weekend, so decided to try to find a solution to the front shock tower water issue. I had this same problem (water accumulating). I could not find any drain water holes to glue shut and did not want to do anything to modify the shock towers (drilling) or any other OEM part. I looked for existing plastic covers (Tupperware, food container, etc.) that would just cover the shock tower but nothing seemed to fit.
I did have a few scraps of 1/8" thick polycarbonate (Lexan) so I made a paper template, cut the plastic will a saber saw, then sanded and polished the edges (see photo).
To attach the covers I started with a 2" length of 3/8" fuel line, two spring clamps, a 1 1/2" long 3/8-16 stud, and the nuts (see photo).
To assemble, just pull the rubber cover off the shock stud in the middle of the shock tower. Then push the fuel line over the shock stud, adjust the length of the 3?8" stud so enough of the stud goes through the cover to put the nuts on (see photo).
I have not washed the car or been in the rain to see how well it works yet, but with about two hours of work and some scrap supplies I thought it was worth a try.

Hope this helps out and my thanks to "MNVETTE".
OMG I just went blind.... errr...wait...No I didn't...It's your teeny weeny font size netsinah. You change the font using the tool bar at the top of the window....in case you weren't aware.... Just a tip.....

How about those little cocktail umbrellas. Likely find a colour match too... :Biggrin:

View attachment 76553
Used aluminum tape to cover.
When removing the trim cover, broke two tabs off. (bigger hammer).
Solution is install proper fittings NAPA p n 665-2111
Grind off remaining stub of broken tab, drill small pilot hole mid point where the fitting was. Easiest to locate the pilot hole before grinding off all of the broken tab.
Then drill bigger hole (7/32?)to accommodate a tight fit for the new fitting.

Attachments

• c8 fitting.jpg
    c8 fitting.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: Bucketoy
The Easter bunny left a gift for me . It`s a front shock tower cutout. The cutout is on a 8X11.5 paper. You can crop and print out.
We`ll use this to make are own personalized covers. Easter egg, fried egg, google eyes, corvette logo, a picture of your better half, one side with your dog, the other with your cat, etc.
shock tower template.jpg

Attachments

• shock tower .pdf
    2 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I installed the strut covers a couple weeks ago.

To my surprise I found some fluid in the passenger side strut. At first I thought it was water from when I washed the car...but upon closer inspection, I realized it was hydraulic fluid from the front lift system. Yup, I'll be needing a new cap.

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
I installed the strut covers a couple weeks ago.

To my surprise I found some fluid in the passenger side strut. At first I thought it was water from when I washed the car...but upon closer inspection, I realized it was hydraulic fluid from the front lift system. Yup, I'll be needing a new cap.
How did the fluid get al the way over there?

Don't waste hundreds of dollars on a plastic shock tower cover no one will ever see because its covered by the plastic trim 100% of the time. Shower caps and tennis balls from the dollar store. Tennis balls are only there to give it a little elevation so water doesn't pool.
Note the leaking brake fluid from my front end lift. A trip to Wilson-Niblett for the blue cap is in my futre.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 6.00.14 PM.jpeg

Reactions: JR410 and Gilles27
Don't waste hundreds of dollars on a plastic shock tower cover no one will ever see because its covered by the plastic trim 100% of the time. Shower caps and tennis balls from the dollar store. Tennis balls are only there to give it a little elevation so water doesn't pool.
Note the leaking brake fluid from my front end lift. A trip to Wilson-Niblett for the blue cap is in my futre.

View attachment 79845
Good fix. Blue cap arrived at my dealer today😀

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread