Some people enjoy their work. I've had three jobs in my career and loved every one of them. I feel sorry for those who don't. Typically it's half of their lives.
I loved my last job before I retired. It was the people I couldn't stand. To many lazy back stabbing assholes I had to put up with. That was the biggest reason I retired early. Had enough of their BS.

Last edited:
I work in a unionized place, and tbh my feelings on it is its there to protect the lazy asses who do nothing, or whine and complain.
Don't forget the most important reason.... Paying extravagant wages to the president, officers, and reps...jmo as it's been 40 years since i was in a union...maybe it's changed now and the upper hierarchy actually work.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Just listened to Doug Fords live presser. A reported asked him to comment on Chrysler and other auto plants and suppliers plans on opening back up May 4th. He basically said he has full confidence in the manufacturers, suppliers and unions to keep everyone safe. So looks like May 4th will see production starting back up. Anyone know if GM and/or BG starting up May 4th too?

Reactions: ABC
Walmart doesn't have a union for one reason. That shouldn't matter but every worker has the right to refuse work if they feel its unsafe. Union or not.
Totally Agree with you. Everyone should feel safe to work. I think most people get satisfaction from work. I have worked in the auto sector for decades and have toured many plants as a supplier. While there were, and are those that do the minimum to get a paycheck, I have to think pride in workmanship still matters to many. I certainly saw many line workers that enjoyed what they did and yes were paid well for it. I have to believe that the local in Bowling Green at the moment share tremendous pride to be part of such a great new launch with this brand. With all the awards won, and orders placed, they have to want to get back to it as soon as they can. Safely of course.

Reactions: kerry4 and Bucketoy
Just listened to Doug Fords live presser. A reported asked him to comment on Chrysler and other auto plants and suppliers plans on opening back up May 4th. He basically said he has full confidence in the manufacturers, suppliers and unions to keep everyone safe. So looks like May 4th will see production starting back up. Anyone know if GM and/or BG starting up May 4th too?
I am thinking May 11th for GM BG. The office staff and start up crew will go in maybe on the 4th to turn on the lights and wake up the plant. Lots of logistics to get in place. IMO.

Reactions: kerry4
Totally Agree with you. Everyone should feel safe to work. I think most people get satisfaction from work. I have worked in the auto sector for decades and have toured many plants as a supplier. While there were, and are those that do the minimum to get a paycheck, I have to think pride in workmanship still matters to many. I certainly saw many line workers that enjoyed what they did and yes were paid well for it. I have to believe that the local in Bowling Green at the moment share tremendous pride to be part of such a great new launch with this brand. With all the awards won, and orders placed, they have to want to get back to it as soon as they can. Safely of course.
I agree too. Many people just show up for the money and some go out of their way to screw the company that pays them well. I was in the automotive related industry too and I could count on one hand the people I worked with that took their job seriously. Sad that its gone this way and I cant explain why. Maybe people just have it to good these days. Unions were great back in the day and got workers a fair wage but now it has gone overboard. Many times at my workplace the people that got fired for just reason like stealing or assaulting another employee the union got their job back. That alone poisoned the workplace so that people thought they could get away with anything. The employer had no rights.

I am thinking May 11th for GM BG. The office staff and start up crew will go in maybe on the 4th to turn on the lights and wake up the plant. Lots of logistics to get in place. IMO.
I hope so for everyones sake. We all pay in the end because the world has shut down. There must be a way we can slowly and safely start the wheels turning again. Even if it takes the time to screen every worker entering the plants. If you even have a sniffle don't show up. Help keep everyone safe.

I hope so for everyones sake. We all pay in the end because the world has shut down. There must be a way we can slowly and safely start the wheels turning again. Even if it takes the time to screen every worker entering the plants. If you even have a sniffle don't show up. Help keep everyone safe.
Unfortunately it's not that easy. It only takes one to slip by to shut the doors of a non-essential business in a hurry. If exposed and carrying a virus that can take up to 14 days to show, it's only a matter of time before you hit the news again. Yeah.... I know.... negativity, but positivity is still a long ways off, especially for the US whose numbers grow exponentially every week.

Mexico now says it will coordinate reopening of auto manufacturing with the US and Canadian timeline.
It is going to happen. May will be the start. I am not making any comment on right or wrong but economic interests are starting to weigh on the issue for the entire industry.

• Agree
Reactions: Sparro
Another piece of good news, yesterday the Governor of Kentucky announced that auto manufacturing plants and other related business can start back up on May 11th. Here's to hoping that BGA gets a one week jump start!

Last edited:
Another piece of good news, yesterday the Governor of Kentucky announced that auto manufacturing plants and other related business can start back up on May 11th. Here's to hoping that BGA gets a one week jump start!
We all have to get back to some level of living with this situation. COVID is not going away. There is no end game where it is gone in the near future and halting all economic activity is just not a realistic plan. Governments will need tax revenue in order to fund the programs in place. So proceed with all due caution makes sense. Not pushing for just a selfish car delivery. I can wait. But we all need to find a balance of life with this new virus in the world.

Hopefully safety protocols will prompt the Union to cooperate with May 11 date.

I did not know that the C8 engine is built in northern NY State. So many political factors involved in the restart.

Reactions: kerry4 and ABC

Hopefully safety protocols will prompt the Union to cooperate with May 11 date.

I did not know that the C8 engine is built in northern NY State. So many political factors involved in the restart.
There probably a lot of parts that come from places and countries that are needed to build the Corvette. Just because the BG plant opens doesn't mean they can build cars. I wonder sometimes how much is even made at the plant? Motors aren't. Seats? Wheels? Tires? Electronic components?

There probably a lot of parts that come from places and countries that are needed to build the Corvette. Just because the BG plant opens doesn't mean they can build cars. I wonder sometimes how much is even made at the plant? Motors aren't. Seats? Wheels? Tires? Electronic components?
The Domestic content on the C8 is over 64%. You are correct that there are dependencies on many international vendors. But all are getting back in gear and some have not closed. China is now back to near fully open. So I suspect that if and when they announce a start date, they have already have confirmed supply chain commitment to supply parts. The world suppliers want to get back to work. The engine is made in Tonawanda NY. They too are likely back to work for the target May 18th date that GM is working towards. So we will see if the date holds. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Nothing is really built in at the plant. The name says it all Bowling Green Assembly. It's an assembly plant. ABC is correct, some parts suppliers didn't even close. I know my brother-in-laws plant which manufactures the stainless steel muffler hangers get back to work on May 4th. They had two weeks worth of parts on the shelf before they closed too.

Nothing is really built in at the plant. The name says it all Bowling Green Assembly. It's an assembly plant. ABC is correct, some parts suppliers didn't even close. I know my brother-in-laws plant which manufactures the stainless steel muffler hangers get back to work on May 4th. They had two weeks worth of parts on the shelf before they closed too.
I guess every manufacturing plant is the same. No matter what they need they can't possibly make everything they need at one facility. The transmission are made in Mexico and that s a fairly important part. LOL. Love how people brag that some products are American made. American assembled ? Yes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.