Nov 29, 2019
Etobicoke
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 2LT Z51
Province
ON
Just read that Florida is now opening up their beaches.
Right or wrong there is a push to get the US Economy back open or at least start the taps opening.
For GM to start to think about restarting plants, there will be a need for North American Wide co-ordination with Canada and Mexico for parts movement.
Here is a link to the UAW Local website: U.A.W. Local 2164 - Contact Us
I am sure that when it gets close, information will appear here to the rank and file membership.
Just sharing to all.
Stay safe and sane.
P.S. Our TPW moved from May 4th to July 6th so we shall see if that is at all realistic soon. If plant starts in May sometime, I think it just may work.

Reactions: Murray20c8

That settles it... A new Volkswagon it is....

1587661256889.png

• Haha
Reactions: ABC
Hopefully the workers at BG will be all rested up after this long shutdown and have better quality control. I know when people at my shop were tired and pushed and doing OT they really didn't care about quality at all. After a holiday they seemed a bit better.

Reactions: ABC
Hopefully the workers at BG will be all rested up after this long shutdown and have better quality control. I know when people at my shop were tired and pushed and doing OT they really didn't care about quality at all. After a holiday they seemed a bit better.
I am sure they will be very careful on the restart. They cannot afford to rush too fast. There was a great interview with the Plant GM and he sounds like a great guy with very clear plans on the C8. We all have to just be patient here. While the delay is disappointing and frustrating it is truly out of our hands. My best guess is that possibly May 11 may be their target restart. I am guessing some inventory of parts are already at plant and that as long as supply chains can hold on feeding it, they may do a one shift startup at first. Then evaluate the safety measures before turning on second shift. Will have to see if the UAW is onboard with this. Hope so.

Reactions: kerry4
UAW President Rory Gamble said today he doesn't support sending factory workers back into the plants in early May. We feel it's risky at this point in time. I'm uncomfortable with an early May return." "We don't see a solid opinion from doctors or scientists that it is time to re-open society. You've got to understand, in a manufacturing environment we can put a lot of protocols in place that will help mitigate the spread of the virus but it's almost impossible to practice 100% social distancing. "Our members are going to be working in this type of environment for a long time with the threat of infection hanging over them." His concern applies to plants nationally, not just Michigan, he said. "We are in opposition to the May 4 date," Gamble emphasized. "Right now, the companies have agreed to every safety protocol. But the overall scientific data does not support an early start," Gamble said. "All our workers are concerned. We have a lot of members who don’t want to go back."

UAW President Rory Gamble said today he doesn't support sending factory workers back into the plants in early May. We feel it's risky at this point in time. I'm uncomfortable with an early May return." "We don't see a solid opinion from doctors or scientists that it is time to re-open society. You've got to understand, in a manufacturing environment we can put a lot of protocols in place that will help mitigate the spread of the virus but it's almost impossible to practice 100% social distancing. "Our members are going to be working in this type of environment for a long time with the threat of infection hanging over them." His concern applies to plants nationally, not just Michigan, he said. "We are in opposition to the May 4 date," Gamble emphasized. "Right now, the companies have agreed to every safety protocol. But the overall scientific data does not support an early start," Gamble said. "All our workers are concerned. We have a lot of members who don’t want to go back."
We will see. The target is certainly moving and I am sure many hurdles will have to be addressed. They are all in consultation and I am sure the UAW will have to sign off on any plans. I think that each plant in each state will also have local input also. It will not be one answer across the board for all plants in all states. Some states are doing better than others on numbers. We will wait and see.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Why would any of the workers want to come back they get %90 of their wages siting on their asses a home going fishing boozing it up etc.

Reactions: Sparro and Phil
I'm all for safety first in any workplace. If I was in their shoes I would want a guarantee that it was safe to return. Not blaming anyone for this unexpected occurrence.

Why would any of the workers want to come back they get %90 of their wages siting on their asses a home going fishing boozing it up etc.

Some people enjoy their work. I've had three jobs in my career and loved every one of them. I feel sorry for those who don't. Typically it's half of their lives.

Reactions: kerry4
I'm all for safety first in any workplace. If I was in their shoes I would want a guarantee that it was safe to return. Not blaming anyone for this unexpected occurrence.
Our teenage kids don't get any guarantees stocking shelves at Wal-Mart, so why should these adults?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.