Unless they hit you a dealer fee for getting the car to the train, etc., hidden fees are not allowed here either. Yeah. For $3,600 you couldfly out and drive it back way cheaper than that.
No. I was close to putting in a deal, and then she said "we charge a $700+" dealer fee. That includes $699 for the mechanical inspection/certification and $6.25 AMVIC fee.

I didn't see ANYTHING in the ad to elude to this. She also suggested that they HAVE to charge the fee. Bottom line, it made me sour to the whole thing.

I would now adjust my offer to purchase to $900 less. The transport fee is a no brainer one way flight with drive back.
You just need the time.

Having looked at the Wheaton ad, it doesn't mention any "inspection fee" but I wonder if this is a "hidden cost" since isn't having a car inspection a matter of buyer preference and it depends on where the buyer is from? Are you needing the inspection due to Ontario regulations concerning out-of-province vehicles? If that's a requirement, can you have that inspection done in Ontario when the car first lands and perhaps at a cheaper price someplace local that you know? I've bought vehicles from outside of Alberta several times and had them delivered to an Alberta dealership of my choice for that pre-registration inspection. I suspect it's the same for you in Ontario but I may be wrong.

As for shipping or driving the vehicle, that's up to you and good on you if you've got the time to drive since that will be a nice get-to-know-you "honeymoon" with your new Vette. I'd recommend a good radar detector to get you through the Prairies. If you think Wheaton is jacking up the ship fee, you can always try and find a lower price and arrange your own shipping.

My vote is buying the car if you think it a good price and if you're taken by it. All these worries will disappear when you're driving and enjoying your new car. You likely have other options on the inspection and shipping fees.

If the car is well priced (I don't know and others here have questioned that) you might be sorely disappointed if someone else comes along and buys it. You'll have to weigh that possibility when making your decision. You previously mentioned looking around for awhile now, so maybe "this is it". Whatever you decide, good luck!

Reactions: ddgermann
Having looked at the Wheaton ad, it doesn't mention any "inspection fee" but I wonder if this is a "hidden cost" since isn't having a car inspection a matter of buyer preference and it depends on where the buyer is from? Are you needing the inspection due to Ontario regulations concerning out-of-province vehicles? If that's a requirement, can you have that inspection done in Ontario when the car first lands and perhaps at a cheaper price someplace local that you know? I've bought vehicles from outside of Alberta several times and had them delivered to an Alberta dealership of my choice for that pre-registration inspection. I suspect it's the same for you in Ontario but I may be wrong.
They've already done the inspection, prior to me even asking about the car. During that, they replaced the front pads, machined the rotors, replaced the windshield (I think), and the steering rack. The hidden dealer fee really put me off of this whole thing, but maybe I'm being too sensitive. Their "best price" including shipping was $1000 higher than my mental budget. I'd also want new rims on it too since I hate the look of those black ones, so that's something else to figure. I think the price is good, but this transaction is starting to give me a headache.

OK now I better understand: the inspection having occurred and repairs made before the car was offered for sale, all of those costs should be included in the asking price since the car is being sold as it sits. I suspect you've got some "negotiating room" with the ongoing COVID situation and the expected used car glut on the market, so hopefully you can get them down on the price, especially if you make it clear you're walking from the deal if that doesn't happen. It all comes down to the final price and whether you think you can find an equivalent car for whatever price Wheaton has as its bottom line. The rims are an unrelated issue and one you can figure out later. Perhaps someone in Ontario will have a nice set of used rims you'd like, at a fair price. Please let us know your final decision, so we all have an end to this story.

• Agree
They've already done the inspection, prior to me even asking about the car. During that, they replaced the front pads, machined the rotors, replaced the windshield (I think), and the steering rack. The hidden dealer fee really put me off of this whole thing, but maybe I'm being too sensitive. Their "best price" including shipping was $1000 higher than my mental budget. I'd also want new rims on it too since I hate the look of those black ones, so that's something else to figure. I think the price is good, but this transaction is starting to give me a headache.
As you might be letting this idea sit of the shelf for a bit.
Send them a new offer.
Adjusted for the fees you want included (just dont tell them this).
Then let the Dealer Sweat it out if they want the sale.
You only have nothing to loose while you wait ...
the car has tax added so adjusting your new offer price is
something I would recommend.

Either that or perhaps give them your All-in Price (incl of tax/ship).
Whatever way they adjust the numbers is their problem then.
I did a new purchase with Wheaton-YEG in 2017 that way (all in price) with the Sales Manager as I was 3rd party for the buyer. Wheaton was not a fan of doing it this way but the buyer did not want all the BS and constant sales phone calls.
So Let the dealer sweat it ... contact the sales manager to let him know
if the salesperson doesn't appear to want to work with it "your way".
Used (and New) Auto Sales are not easy here in Alberta.

It's food for thought and I'm hoping for the
Best of Good Fortune in your endeavour ...
... Cheers !

Last edited:
I offered $32.5k all in (including train shipping) + tax. I came up with that number if they drop the price their $750 ($31k), and then they can ship the car for $1500 (I've read that rail shipping can cost around that). They originally told me that $34.5k was their bottom line, then came back with $33.5k, saying that was $600 under their cost.

After the frustration in terms of the "slipped in" fee, I got frustrated, and asked to have my deposit (another story) refunded.

As mentioned by SN-III, sit tight and see if they'll return your deposit and lose the deal. My initial reaction when I saw their asking price of $31,750 was that they'd likely accept an even $30,000. You're now $1,000 apart. If they return your deposit and again if you're really keen on the car, then a quick solution would be to "split the difference" and throw in another $500 to make it $33K + tax. But I think you've got a good shot at them accepting your last offer of $32,500 + tax, so I'd suggest them returning your deposit before you consider offering anything else. They will absolutely HATE returning your deposit. I have my doubts about them being "$600 under their cost": I've heard that too many times before so it's a common sales technique. In the unlikely event they are losing money on paper due to what they paid for the trade, they likely made a profit on the vehicle sale which spawned that trade. Keep us posted.

ask for your deposit back then wait a week and see if you

REALLY WANT AND NEED THIS PARTICULAR CAR

I don’t want to tell you to walk but I would for a week

see how long it takes to get your deposit back without any BS TALK

Keep it Simple and Stupid.
K.I.S.S.

Bottom Dollar all in to them
And send your deposit back to
You on June 2nd if Wheaton
Wants you yo go away.
Let them bloody sweat to their
End of the month accounting.
I know they are hungry at that time.

Be strong ... BS on their cost crap
Thats sales shenanigans a buyer
Needs no part of.

patience is a virtue.
I do this all the time.

Well, they called me and tried to get the deal in place. I told them I had a bad taste in my mouth because of them trying to push in the dealer fee. I told him that it wasn't disclosed anywhere on their website and they got lippy with me. The manager was quite an ass hat and told me that he "doesn't need an AMVIC lesson" and that they can charge it because it is an "accessory".

Seems really shady to me. He said that they discounted the price of the fee off the car, and maybe so, but I'm not interested at this point at $33.5k. We basically left the discussion on bad terms, as he had a really bad attitude "I don't need to sell you the car, I don't care".

Wow.

• Wow
Well, they called me and tried to get the deal in place. I told them I had a bad taste in my mouth because of them trying to push in the dealer fee. I told him that it wasn't disclosed anywhere on their website and they got lippy with me. The manager was quite an ass hat and told me that he "doesn't need an AMVIC lesson" and that they can charge it because it is an "accessory".

Seems really shady to me. He said that they discounted the price of the fee off the car, and maybe so, but I'm not interested at this point at $33.5k. We basically left the discussion on bad terms, as he had a really bad attitude "I don't need to sell you the car, I don't care".

Wow.
That’s what I define a “Manager” who is only “managing to keep his job”.
Never ever in “Management” is it taught to blow back at potential sales.
Failure on his part.

I say what this guy always says ... 😇
DAEF0B64-76F5-41E0-9AA5-0D7F826FC067.jpeg

more reason to hold your bottom dollar through the end of the month before the deposit is to be returned.
The Ace is in your hand with a deposit in theirs ... until they have to surrender it 👍🏻

in the meantime ... you can stay cool
and silence is as valuable on your part as it is in texas hold’em.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that ncnmra. And if that's the used car sales manager you dealt with, perhaps that will be their final say. But as SN-III astutely pointed out, the end of the month is an important time for car dealerships since that's when they compile their stats and sort out bonuses based upon the volume of business they've done, which includes both used and new vehicle sales. So get your deposit back and let the end of the month draw closer.

Or not: if you were treated rudely and don't want to deal with them anymore, then don't. You're still trusting them to look after shipping and your paperwork, so you need to have some confidence they'll do all that properly and maybe that trust is gone now. Too bad you're out of province and not in person. It's easy to blow someone off on the phone, especially if the person you spoke with was having a bad day...

Wow.

‘did you ask for your deposit back, please do so on writing

then report them to amvic
I would not buy that car, a better one will come along

Exactly. He was trying to BS me about the "fees", and then claimed that he did me a favor by dropping the price by the corresponding amount. But the trust is gone, and for me to buy a vehicle sight unseen from these clowns at this point is a deal breaker.

I firmly stated at the end of the discussion that I want my deposit back by the end of the day.

To be honest, I'm really pissed off with them at this point. They have a good rating, but that is just utter BS. I'm actually tempted to lodge an AMVIC complaint against them just out of spite.

Exactly. He was trying to BS me about the "fees", and then claimed that he did me a favor by dropping the price by the corresponding amount. But the trust is gone, and for me to buy a vehicle sight unseen from these clowns at this point is a deal breaker.

I firmly stated at the end of the discussion that I want my deposit back by the end of the day.

To be honest, I'm really pissed off with them at this point. They have a good rating, but that is just utter BS. I'm actually tempted to lodge an AMVIC complaint against them just out of spite.
do it

and send a copy of the complaint to the owner

... why spend more effort in the collapse than what one puts into the build ... (sn-iii)

stay calm and move along ...
wisdom has been gained 👍🏻
Hence ... Why this is known
to those who follow my C7 ...

EBD9990C-CF18-4E27-8B7D-0BB6C8EFDE22.jpeg

footnote: my Wheaton deal in 2017 collapsed as well.
They actually came back to me with second thoughts on accepting
a deal after we returned our digital signature on the offer to purchase.
The Cadillac we aimed for took 8 more months to sell.
YYSSW but most happy my wife bought a Corvette at Northgate instead 👍🏻

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.