Why am I getting involved with this... :)

I don't think any seats would be made with full-grain leather, as it absorbs oils and stains too easily.

As Toyota says in one of their brochures, most automotive leather is "corrected" leather, so it's been modified to correct blemishes, etc. Not sure what that implies. Their version of "Nappa" leather is quoted as top-grain leather, which is supposed to have a smoother finish. So GM's "Napa" leather may also be top-grain leather that's been corrected. From the site: "Tanneries will almost always remove “imperfections” from top grain hides through a corrective process. Many big manufacturers (especially in apparel and footwear) cannot have cosmetic variances in their product – therefore they choose top grain leathers for quality, but also to have a consistent appearance in their leather goods. Tanneries will go to great lengths to hide any imperfections or flaws in the leather; everything will be sanded and buffed to look uniform."

On the other hand, GM calls the seats "Genuine Napa Leather", which would suggest they are made of genuine leather, which is the lowest grade of leather product, So "Napa" may simply be genuine leather that has been processed in a different way to make the leather a bit smoother or softer, with better feel. I would assume that "Mulan" leather is likely just split-grain genuine leather that's been stamped with a leather pattern. I'm not sure of that though, because I don't think the "Mulan" leather seats I've been in have felt like plastic like genuine leather does. So if you're pessimistic about automakers, you would say they would take this route, but I have problems with this, as I don't think the seats feel like cheap genuine leather.

I think it's most likely that both products are top-grain leathers with "Napa" leather just being a more expensive corrected leather with a smoother finish and "Mulan" being a slightly lower grade leather that's been corrected and embossed for a different look and feel.

Just my totally uneducated thoughts from someone that has no skin in the game and was looking to procrastinate on his report writing...

For what it's worth, I'm very pleased with my 2LT interior. No, the door panels aren't covered in the nicest leather vs the 3LT, and the headliner isn't as fancy, but all the surfaces are soft touch and look extremely good.

The extra $5,500 just wasn't worth it to me as it doesn't open the door for any other performance improvements or creature comforts. I would much rather spend the money towards mods and live without the upgraded headliner.

Ferrari Nappa is produced using Full Grain hides from cold climate cattle. Ferrari's Nappa is vaccuum-dried to create a very tight grain on a strong leather without much flexion.
For premium leathers, far-northern climates are favored because they tend to have fewer biting pests, which leaves the hides with fewer scars. Free from major blemishes, these leathers retain their natural finishes throughout the tanning process. The graining you see is just how the cow made it.

Less-costly hides usually have more imperfections, including scars from barbed-wire fencing, but embossing the leather with a grain pattern can hide these flaws, give the leather a consistent appearance, and make it easier to pass durability requirements. By embossing the cheaper cuts, more of a hide can be used, thus reducing costs.
Tanning is what takes the leather from bovine wrapping to car-seat covering. Chrome tanning (so-called because of the chromium sulfate used in the process) is by far the most popular technique, favored for its lower cost and greater durability. The process starts with a lime bath that removes the hair and water and breaks down the collagen proteins, thus making the leather more pliable. A dip in water rehydrates the leather before it is immersed in a chromium-sulfate acidic-salt bath. After a few hours of soaking, the leather softens, becomes stretchable, gains a consistent finish and color, and becomes water-repellent. A blue-hued hide, called “wet blue,” emerges from the process ready to be dyed and finished.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Ferrari Nappa is produced using Full Grain hides from cold climate cattle. Ferrari's Nappa is vaccuum-dried to create a very tight grain on a strong leather without much flexion.
For premium leathers, far-northern climates are favored because they tend to have fewer biting pests, which leaves the hides with fewer scars. Free from major blemishes, these leathers retain their natural finishes throughout the tanning process. The graining you see is just how the cow made it.

Less-costly hides usually have more imperfections, including scars from barbed-wire fencing, but embossing the leather with a grain pattern can hide these flaws, give the leather a consistent appearance, and make it easier to pass durability requirements. By embossing the cheaper cuts, more of a hide can be used, thus reducing costs.
Tanning is what takes the leather from bovine wrapping to car-seat covering. Chrome tanning (so-called because of the chromium sulfate used in the process) is by far the most popular technique, favored for its lower cost and greater durability. The process starts with a lime bath that removes the hair and water and breaks down the collagen proteins, thus making the leather more pliable. A dip in water rehydrates the leather before it is immersed in a chromium-sulfate acidic-salt bath. After a few hours of soaking, the leather softens, becomes stretchable, gains a consistent finish and color, and becomes water-repellent. A blue-hued hide, called “wet blue,” emerges from the process ready to be dyed and finished.
Good info...
Mountain Man's Tom Oar would disagree but he's not making leather for Ferrari either...yet... lol..

• Haha
Reactions: Cariboocreek
I can see the value of what 2LT offers over 1LT and that was a no brainer for me. Too many goodies in the 2LT I wanted that wasn't offered in the 1LT. But for me, I saw zero value from going 2LT to 3LT. Essentially the only difference is a marginally nicer textured Nappa leather as opposed to the smoother Mulan leather. Not enough for me. Not even the "included" GT2 seats because aside from the headrest design they are exactly the same. Yes, I've been in them both, several times and they fit identical.
To to each their own, if you want the 3LT, go for it. It's a great car either way, I have experienced zero issues with mine that people have been reporting... ZERO... I'll keep it !!!

Not sure how it is on the C8, but on my C7 3LT and others that do not have black interiors the top portion of the dash will be the same color as the seats as will the door panel. Regardless of the kind of leather, you are getting more of it on the 3LT. If you have a black interior you cannot really tell the difference.

The ONLY sites that say Mulan is "bonded" leather is Corvette sites. The names Napa and Mulan are made up words. You won't find Mulan leather anywhere but at GM. Napa leather is also a made up term named after the area it first appeared. Napa valley California.
So, both IMO are real leather, but the names are a way of avoiding copywrites.
Hmmmm....maybe, maybe not. Here is a look at Mulan Leather women shoes and Wikipedia's take on Napa. Apparently Corvette is not the only manufacturer to use the terms...Napa_leather. Mulan Nude Leather
Happy Motoring!

Nowhere on the web (google it) other than "Corvette forums speculation" that Mulan is bonded or otherwise.
They are both real leather. One is a better quality than the other.
As to your question there is nothing phony in these cars. The interiors are far superior to those in the past from all accounts.

View attachment 74350
Not so fast...I found this Mulan Leather vs. Napa Leather comparison that is not related to Chevy:

What is Mulan Leather?​

Mulan leather is confusing for many reasons. One of them being that Disney released a movie that might confuse people as to why leather is named after any movie or what the leather has to do with the movie at all. Whatever the case may be you may find yourself making a choice between Napa leather and Mulan leather. If you find yourself in this position then you might also have to ask yourself., "do I know the difference between the two and do I or should I care?" We will examine the issue in the paragraphs to follow below.
What one is right for you?
Leather comes in two types. It can come as either Napa or Mulan.
Both of these terms are confusing similar to the difference between OEM and aftermarket. If you are experienced in the industry or are a person who has bought their fair share of accessories then you may not have as much as of a problem. However, the beginner, who probably does not know the difference between OEM and aftermarket probably will not know the difference between Mulan and Napa leather.
We have read some people that say that Napa leather comes from the belly of the animal which is softer and accounts for the less grainy feeling of Napa leather.However, we can neither confirm or deny that this is true. We can confirm that Napa leather does tend to feel smoother than its counterpart, Mulan leather. A side by side comparison gives you the full story.
mulan%20vs%20napa.jpg
Mulan Leather on the left and Napa Leather on the Right
The amount of graininess becomes apparent when side by side with the Napa leather. The question becomes if the difference is noticeable. The difference is noticeable under two circumstances. 1. The person who is feeling the leather is sufficiently educated to understand that there is a difference in the two leather types or is generally aware that the two types of leather exist at all. 2. The two leather types are close to each other.
The truth is that the choice of leather comes down personal preference and how much, "keeping ahead of" the Joneses the owner is trying to stay. The viewpoint of most aficionados is that Napa leather is better for the sheer fact that it tends to be much smoother than its brethren, Mulan leather. If you are trying to impress gear heads or a car show then you need to get Napa leather. Otherwise, you might find that you prefer the feel of the Mulan leather for a variety of reasons. You might like the texture of the leather. You might have had a parent that liked to wear leather boots or something leather and it was textured. If this is true for you then Mulan leather might be the right

• Informative
Reactions: vintageracer
My experience with 2LT versus three LT is where you see the leather in the car. If you have a color other than black my three LT has that color of the dash and a two LT would not have had that color.
Incorrect. 3LT and 2LT have the accent colour on the dash. 1LT does not.

My experience with 2LT versus three LT is where you see the leather in the car. If you have a color other than black my three LT has that color of the dash and a two LT would not have had that color.
Incorrect. 3LT and 2LT have the accent colour on the dash. 1LT does not.

Incorrect. Only 3LT gets full coloured interior, like full Natural Dipped. 2LT can only opt for partial colored, like Natural.

Incorrect. Only 3LT gets full coloured interior, like full Natural Dipped. 2LT can only opt for partial colored, like Natural.
Incorrect again... We’re not talking about full dip, we were talking about the accent colour on the dash. 2LT and 3LT have it but 1LT does not. Full dip looks like 🤮

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread