Badvette

2 You're 10
Aug 20, 2010
Bowmanville Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2007 Z51
Hi guys, Have any of you experienced this issue? Sometimes my car just won't start etc. What could possibly be the issue???? I've replaced the brake sensor, and it seems to be intermittent.

Any info would be appreciated

Do a search on the other Corvette Forum web site. There was a lot of talk there going back a few years about this problem. It can be serious apparently, depending on what is actually throwing the codes. It would be a good idea to get it checked out right away.

wasn't there a recall for that, or was it just the wiring harness issue?

There was a recall, to have a clip installed to help hold the connector between wiring harnesses together. My car had the inspection and oddly they elected NOT to install the $5 clip after taking the underside of the steering column off to examine it!

The light still comes on under hard steering wheel actions (autocrossing) and maybe I'll just order the clip and try to install it.................annoying.

Or as Manny says, it could be the sensor itself................

OK, It started again and here's what I've learned so far. I replaced the brake sensor in 2012 for the same thing the car wouldn't start and active handling came on. Today the car wouldn't start so I just sat in it and played around with it abit, What I noticed was if I didn't step on the brake pedal the car would start and shift into drive everytime. If I put my foot on the brake it wouldn't start and the car would stay locked in park. It seems to me that maybe the brake sensor has shorted again!

I had this issue as well. At the time the recommended fix was to drop the plastic panel under the steering column, disconnect then reconnect the pig-tail three or four times to wipe corrosion from the connection. Push back together and secure with a tiny zip-tie.

This is really simple and required the removal of the under-dash light from the plastic panel to make access that much better. Takes about 20 minutes for a newbee. I'll see if I can find a picture of the pig-tail on the web for you. If I recall it was basically the first pig-tail you will see and also the easiest one to grab.

Before you spend a penny try this really easy fix and see if it works for you.

My problem was solved and never returned.

Edit: My "Service Active Handling" warning popped up only during very low speed maneuvers like parking and slow but tight corners. I think it came on once when I first started my car ....

Dick

Last edited:
I had this issue as well. At the time the recommended fix was to drop the plastic panel under the steering column, disconnect then reconnect the pig-tail three or four times to wipe corrosion from the connection. Push back together and secure with a tiny zip-tie.

This is really simple and required the removal of the under-dash light from the plastic panel to make access that much better. Takes about 20 minutes for a newbee. I'll see if I can find a picture of the pig-tail on the web for you. If I recall it was basically the first pig-tail you will see and also the easiest one to grab.

Before you spend a penny try this really easy fix and see if it works for you.

My problem was solved and never returned.

Edit: My "Service Active Handling" warning popped up only during very low speed maneuvers like parking and slow but tight corners. I think it came on once when I first started my car ....

Dick
Could you send me pics?

Hey.

I checked the web for some pictures with no luck. I'll keep trying and let you know if/when I have found any.

The panel to remove is very simple (even for me). The pigtail is the first you see, mounted under the steering column, smack dab in your face.

Geez, I wish I had a C6 to take a picture ....

Edit: Okay now I remember a bit more; f you had a telescopic steering wheel this caused a tension issue as well as the corrosion issue. My C6 had the telescopic wheel. I've sent you a PM with more information and a picture or two.

Dick

Last edited:
Good morning Dick,

Ditto same problem at my end. Could you also send me the info and pictures? I had looked at doing this in the past (also telescoping steering) but the YouTube video I watched sort of took the drive out of me to do it. Your opinion on having done yours is getting to to think about challenging it once more!

Cheers,

Garry

Well problem solved it infact was the brake switch! corrected at dealership for $89 plus tax! I can't believe that switch kept my car from starting , shifting out of park, brake lights staying on and active handling light coming on during hard turns. That's one evil gremlin....

Hope this helps someone else
Cam

Great piece of information. Amazing that electrical gremlins can can have such far reaching consequences to the operation of the car. Glad you got it sorted out for what seems like a bargain basement price. :Thumbsup:

Well problem solved it infact was the brake switch! corrected at dealership for $89 plus tax! I can't believe that switch kept my car from starting , shifting out of park, brake lights staying on and active handling light coming on during hard turns. That's one evil gremlin....

Hope this helps someone else
Cam

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.