I just got off the phone with the sales manager at my local dealer and he told me that if I ordered a Z06 now that I wouldn't get the car for at least 5 years. Does this sound accurate?

Short answer: maybe.

Long answer so you can better understand where your dealer may be coming from:

I was at the annual Corvette convention (aka: the "Bash") at the end of April in Bowling Green, Kentucky so about a month ago. The word from Josh Holden, who some consider to be #2 engineer in the C8 program behind Tadge Juechter, and other GM C8 people at the Bash (such as Harlan Charles from marketing) is that the 2023 Z06 will be available "sometime in the summer of 2022". That's thought to be when retail production will begin, with the first Z06's off the assembly line and slated for delivery not too long after that. They also told us pricing would be released before anyone put an order in. So with summer officially ending September 22/22...if the car is started on the assembly line (say) in mid-September at the latest, I'd hope orders for the Z06 would be possible by mid-July at the latest. Hopefully sooner than that, of course. This you'll appreciate is speculation and we'll all know in the upcoming next few months. We do know that Bowling Green just started making 2023 Stingrays on May 16/22 and GM has decided to produce those first, before making any 2023 Z06's. Watch for the Z06 price release, since this should be a clue we're moving closer to when orders can be placed and the car produced.

So if we start seeing the cars delivered to US customers by early October this year, at the latest, it usually takes longer to see any in Canada. Then we have the issue of the number of C8 allocations a Canadian dealer gets. Larger dealerships get more. I have no idea who your dealer in Ottawa is and more importantly what it gets for allocations. It's expected that of the total C8 Stingray allocations a dealer usually gets, for the 2023's about 25% to 33% of those allocations will be earmarked for the C8 Z06. So for example, if a dealer received 40 allocations of C8 Stingrays for the 2021 and 2022 model years...it might expect around 40 again for the 2023's. Then of those 40, perhaps 10 to 13 of them will be Z06's...leaving the remaining 30 to 27 as Stingrays. If your dealer gets less than 40, it'll get less Z06's. Those percentages are speculation but widely believed, at this point.

So as to your dealer comment that you'll not see a Z06 for 5 years from his dealership:

-we need to know when Canadian orders can be placed and when Canadian dealers will start seeing delivery of the Z06
-then it depends on how many Z06 allocations your particular dealer will likely get
-then it depends on where you are on your dealer's Z06 list
-then it depends on whether your dealer honours that list...by (a) not taking any of its allocations for itself, and (b) moving you up on the list, if someone drops out ahead of you (ie. the dealership doesn't take the allocation for itself under those circumstances) and (c) the dealer doesn't earmark any Z06 allocations for friends or family or "really good customers".

So there are many factors at play. I'm #5 on a Z06 list with a dealer who gets around 40 C8 allocations/year. So I expect to be driving a Z06 by the end of this year (earliest) or Spring 2023 (latest) which may be wrong but I hope I'm right. I doubt I'll be waiting 5 years.

The best advice I can give you, as always for any version of the C8, is to get on multiple lists to increase your chances of seeing one sooner. If you remain on one list only with a dealer that gets very few Z06 allocations, yes you can expect to wait many years. But call around and ask different dealers about their C8 Stingray allocations for 2021 and 2022 and where you'd be on their Z06 list. Your effort to get on a list(s) with a dealership(s) who has a better chance of providing you with a Z06 sooner, will pay off down the road. Pick a dealer who is transparent and provides that info and has a good reputation in the Corvette community, such as the 2 Ontario dealers who are sponsors on these Forums. That way you know you're being treated right and you'll be able to track your progress on a Z06 list. Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

PS: keep in mind that the C8 E-Ray will be released at some point, followed by the ZR1 then the Zora. Those new versions may further "dilute" the number of Z06's a dealer gets, just like the Z06 production/allocations will reduce the number of Stingrays a dealer will get. So it's best not to "sit on your hands" and wait for more years to go by and more C8 versions to be released, before getting on a Z06 list(s). Even if you're further down on a Z06 list, get on a list(s) now... OR if the E-Ray interests you, get on not only a Z06 list(s) but also an E-Ray list if your dealer has created that list. I'm now on 2 lists for the Z06 and one list for the E-Ray. Once I get a Z06 allocation, I'll drop off the list with my second dealer...which will happen many times elsewhere so you'll see a fair bit of movement on lists for that reason or many other reasons, which suggests you should not be overly discouraged when you're far down on a list.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Yup, long waiting lists for them and it depends on your dealer. 5 years is a good ballpark as Canada will likely only get a few a year. Maybe around 2000 for all of Canada per calendar year
That number would surprise me Murray. Inaugural year of the C7 Z06 only saw 329 come to Canada out of a 37,000 give or take total build. Hope I'm wrong for all the members waiting for one.

Reactions: Blu427
That number would surprise me Murray. Inaugural year of the C7 Z06 only saw 329 come to Canada out of a 37,000 give or take total build. Hope I'm wrong for all the members waiting for one.
I agree, Canada might see 325 ZO6 for first year.
The situation was the same when I got my 2006 Z. All the hype regarding the LS7 and high torque numbers made them
in high demand. Dealers were charging $20,000 over MSRP. ( GM have since changed that)
Of total 2006 production of 34,021 Vettes, 6272 were ZO6 (19%) and only 309 (5%) were shipped to Canada.

I was going on the rough number of 30% of the cars produced would be Z06's. If Canada gets roughly 7000 C8's per year, then 30% of those is very roughly 2k. I guess 1800 is more like 30%. Anyway, if the US is going to get way more than 30% of the Z06's then sure. 300 will be more like 1% which would give the U.S. almost the entire production of Z06's

I was going on the rough number of 30% of the cars produced would be Z06's. If Canada gets roughly 7000 C8's per year, then 30% of those is very roughly 2k. I guess 1800 is more like 30%. Anyway, if the US is going to get way more than 30% of the Z06's then sure. 300 will be more like 1% which would give the U.S. almost the entire production of Z06's
Canada has been receiving approx. 2000 C8s per model year, historically C6 ZO6 were 20% of total production until
the introduction of the GS which then reduced ZO6 production to around 7% of total units.
I expect the same to happen to the C8 ZO6, production will shrink as Chevrolet introduces the E-Ray, ZR1, and Zora models.

Canada has been receiving approx. 2000 C8s per model year, historically C6 ZO6 were 20% of total production until
the introduction of the GS which then reduced ZO6 production to around 7% of total units.
I expect the same to happen to the C8 ZO6, production will shrink as Chevrolet introduces the E-Ray, ZR1, and Zora models.
Sure, but now the target for the Z06 is 30% of production. If the calendar year can produce close to 40,000 units Canada could see a much higher number.... Or not! lol.

1654004255568.png

As suggested I called one of the larger dealers who are site sponsors and they told me that the Z06 waiting list is closed and has 90 people on it. It was either 90 or 99, I forget. Anyway, they said they anticipate getting 2 Z06's per year and will be giving refunds for people on the list. Clearly the car is not really available in practical terms and I am just going to give up on it. What a joke.

Case closed. 2015 all over again. 329 Z06's the first year to spread between 600 dealerships. Yeah yeah... I know... Not all 600 dealers receive or sell any Corvettes but if you're not number 1, 2, or 3 on a major dealers list, you're driving something else until at least 2023/2024, and if you're on the double digit waiting list, well.....be prepared to pay double MSRP from the greedy gold-diggers unless you want to wait a very very long time. JMO

• Agree
Reactions: Blu427
I just got off the phone with the other dealer who is also a site sponsor and they said that the list is still open but they are not taking any more deposits because it's so huge. He did not know the size of the list and didn't have any idea how many Z06's they would get per year. He did however say that they get about 100 C8's per year. I added myself to the list but at this point it's meaningless. No deposit means that the list will grow to a massive number.

As suggested I called one of the larger dealers who are site sponsors and they told me that the Z06 waiting list is closed and has 90 people on it. It was either 90 or 99, I forget. Anyway, they said they anticipate getting 2 Z06's per year and will be giving refunds for people on the list. Clearly the car is not really available in practical terms and I am just going to give up on it. What a joke.
You are VERY late to the party! Most people have had their names on the Z06 list for over 4 years and many much longer than that.

• Agree
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread