Talking about dogs. I have a 50 pound Border Collie that goes everywhere with me. I have a harness for her that slips into the female end of the seat belt so she is secured in case of an accident. Even the best of dogs have been known to run away or jump into traffic in an accident so the seat belt arrangement is important. I have a big cushion that I put in the foot area and a seat cover so she can lie down. My question is if the air bag will deploy in a front end collision. The most common trip we make is about two hours from Georgetown to Orillia so she just sleeps most of the way. She prefers the top up, as with most Border Collies, she is really sensitive to noise. I know she wants to drive but driving a seven speed would be a challenge.

Cover / blanket. 40psi in the tires.
Now the hard part.
*Leave it alone until the spring*

Didn't you get a battery tender when you bought the car?
I thought the battery maintenance option included it?
Mine did.
Or do this.....taken this morning 😁
20181105_071934.jpg

Talking about dogs. I have a 50 pound Border Collie that goes everywhere with me. I have a harness for her that slips into the female end of the seat belt so she is secured in case of an accident. Even the best of dogs have been known to run away or jump into traffic in an accident so the seat belt arrangement is important. I have a big cushion that I put in the foot area and a seat cover so she can lie down. My question is if the air bag will deploy in a front end collision. The most common trip we make is about two hours from Georgetown to Orillia so she just sleeps most of the way. She prefers the top up, as with most Border Collies, she is really sensitive to noise. I know she wants to drive but driving a seven speed would be a challenge.

I had a Border Collie for many years... Amazingly smart dogs. I'm guessing with a little effort from you, yours could master the seven speed .. :Biggrin:... This is my female GSD Quinn learning to drive my plow truck last year. We gave up when she almost backed into the house. Didn't realize she wasn't using the mirrors... :ohoh:

DSCN5279.JPG

Anyone here using portable work shop heaters? I like the idea of maintaining a reasonably stable temperature. Just had new garage doors installed which are insulated along with new weatherstripping so it's much tighter and wondering if this is a good way to support a consistent temperature of around +7C.

Garage currently sits around +4C most of winter, however it will dip to -4 to -7C (which I know is playtime for anyone outside of Toronto :)) when we get a cold blast. Thoughts?

Something like this one:
Amazon product ASIN B00HS8FZAC

Reactions: flyboy999
Anyone here using portable work shop heaters? I like the idea of maintaining a reasonably stable temperature. Just had new garage doors installed which are insulated along with new weatherstripping so it's much tighter and wondering if this is a good way to support a consistent temperature of around +7C.

Garage currently sits around +4C most of winter, however it will dip to -4 to -7C (which I know is playtime for anyone outside of Toronto :)) when we get a cold blast. Thoughts?

Something like this one:

Mine sits in an unheated detached garage all winter. I’m sure is gets -15 or lower on some of the wonderful YEG winter days. Haven’t had a problem yet.
It is however much drier here in the winter than over there at the center of the universe. With the humidity it’s probably not a bad idea to keep the temperature up a bit ya.

Something like this one:

I used a Holmes Micro Furnace for decades. Very compact. I had an insulated shed, just under 200sq'. Kept my m/c's warm all winter.
Try google: Holmes Compact Ceramic Heater, or Holmes Micro Furnace.

Reactions: ddgermann

Something like this one:

I would venture that it depepnds on how large and how well insulated your garage is. If it rarely drops to -4/-7, then i would suspect that a smaller workshop heater would keep it above freezing. The 220V units do a much better job and certainly more cost efficient than a 110V.

Reactions: lupo and YFCvii
Mine sits in an insulated garage. Gets down to -5C or so. Never had any trouble but I keep it plugged in with 3 stick on heaters. Two 250W on bottom of engine and one 250W on oil cooler. I command start it and after about 8 min of idle it is up to temp. By the time I'm at the end of the block oil is up to 45C and no "caution lights" on rpm gauge. Max rpm allowed....

I must be an optimist. I haven't put mine away yet. I'm always hoping for another ride before the salt hits the road. Anyway I booked a service for yesterday to check out a slow leak in the drivers side back tire and to check my infotainment screen. They couldn't find a leak so that is something I will have to monitor over the winter and they ordered a new screen for me for the spring. I did, however, get a new piece of information re storage. They told me that I should roll the car a few feet every couple of weeks to make sure the oil in the differential doesn't sit otherwise it could cause chattering in the differential. I am not a mechanic so I might not have this totally correct but I must say I had a chatter in my C6 differential for many years so there may be something to this. Today it is snowing again, on top of the four inches we had on Friday so the chances of a last ride are looking slim. I have gone over all the posts in this thread and decided to follow most of them. Here is what I have decided to do:

1. Clean the car thoroughly with special attention paid to cleaning brake dust off my chrome wheels.
2. Put drier sheets in the car and trunk.
3. Put steel wool in the exhausts.
4. Keep the gas level at just under a quarter tank.
5. Put 40 PSI in the tires and check them occassionally.
6. Hook up the battery tender and leave the trunk lid unlatched.
7. Put the car in neutral and release the parking brake.
8. Make sure the car is unlocked
9. Put the inside cover on.

Next year I will do the same but I will check my oil and change it if it is below 35% life remaining

It all sounds decent but you can latch your rear hatch. It won’t damage the tender cable or the car. The rubber seal soaks the wire up nicely.
As I’m not parking in my own garage... I lock my car (all 3 of them so far) and arm the security with the 2nd push. (Onstar will let me know via text and email if the car is distributed in any way. This was accidentally tested when my daughter was in the car while I ran into a 7-11. I armed the security as I walked away. Before I got to the the till there was a text and email saying there is movement inside the car. Yes your car has motions detectors inside)
I leave the car in Neutral with the park brake definitely on.

Interesting one on rolling the car for prevention of the differential chatter.
Won’t work for me as my garage is unheated. My tires would be toasted from cracking. Good one for the guys with the heated caves though. 👍

PS. Love your optimism 😂

Reactions: YFCvii
I must be an optimist. I haven't put mine away yet. I'm always hoping for another ride before the salt hits the road. Anyway I booked a service for yesterday to check out a slow leak in the drivers side back tire and to check my infotainment screen. They couldn't find a leak so that is something I will have to monitor over the winter and they ordered a new screen for me for the spring. I did, however, get a new piece of information re storage. They told me that I should roll the car a few feet every couple of weeks to make sure the oil in the differential doesn't sit otherwise it could cause chattering in the differential. I am not a mechanic so I might not have this totally correct but I must say I had a chatter in my C6 differential for many years so there may be something to this. Today it is snowing again, on top of the four inches we had on Friday so the chances of a last ride are looking slim. I have gone over all the posts in this thread and decided to follow most of them. Here is what I have decided to do:

1. Clean the car thoroughly with special attention paid to cleaning brake dust off my chrome wheels.
2. Put drier sheets in the car and trunk.
3. Put steel wool in the exhausts.
4. Keep the gas level at just under a quarter tank.
5. Put 40 PSI in the tires and check them occassionally.
6. Hook up the battery tender and leave the trunk lid unlatched.
7. Put the car in neutral and release the parking brake.
8. Make sure the car is unlocked
9. Put the inside cover on.

Next year I will do the same but I will check my oil and change it if it is below 35% life remaining

Hi Wully

" I should roll the car a few feet every couple of weeks to make sure the oil in the differential doesn't sit otherwise it could cause chattering in the differential."

I've received some strange advice from dealership service staff over the years but this is one of the most ridiculous that I've ever heard. It makes absolutely no sense. This is the type of information that makes me avoid taking my C7 to the dealer for almost any reason and is why I do the vast majority of the work on all of my vehicles myself. Have done for over 45 years.

There have been reports of differentials not being filled to the proper level from the factory. This causes the infamous "warble" (search C7 warble) but it was a problem with earlier C7's and, to my knowledge, it does not affect later models, 2017 and up. Although it is always a good idea to check the fluid level in the dif at around 2000 kl and change it at the prescribed interval. I did and mine was fine.

Follow their advice if you want but it truly is a waste of time and effort.

Best regards
Ross

• Informative
Reactions: YFCvii
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.