Zeke

I'm New Here
Oct 10, 2016
ottawa
VetteCoins
After 30 years living and working in Canada's Arctic its time to move into the next stage of my life. Retirement and second childhood, or maybe third depending on how you look at it. First step decide where to live when the big day comes. Suggestions made and vetoed by the wife. Two options given. Now don't get me wrong, I like Vancouver but just to darn many family and friends and I would never have any peace. Number two Ottawa region, no brainier son's in university there so off we went house hunting. In all honesty I think it was a setup so she could keep our son tied to the apron strings but it took one item off the list.

Now while all this was going on and in the middle of purchasing the house my employer made me an offer and asked me to defer retirement for another year. Which the wife jumped on in light sped and thought it was a great idea. Conspiracy was my first thought but after a little reflection I seen an opportunity to negotiate which is never a word in her vocabulary. To my surprise she said OK. I think I need to check mt life insurance to see if it has been increased, got to be a reason for such a quick agreement!

Don't think on it too much I told myself, set a budget and start looking for the vett I wanted all my life. Well the more I researched, surfed the web and changed my mind 100 times, I have it narrowed down and just need to find the car of my dreams. So in the spring of 2017 I will be purchasing a C5 corvette.With just buying a house,last two kids still in university the budgets not what I would like but from what I seen I should be able to get a Z06 if I shop carefully if not a convertible. Wife would look good i the convertible she has not deprecated over the years like I have, but i would rather the Z06.

Anyway look forward to reading and learning more about the ins and outs of owning a vette so my spring search I am knowledgeable enough to make a good purchase

Great story! I really enjoyed it and best of luck in your search for the perfect C5! A Z06 would be really nice. I'm looking forward to hearing what you find in your search! Woo!

Hi Zeke...
Sounds like a good plan ahead for you and your family.
Are you Santa Claus?

Great choice for a Corvette....mind you they are all great...
Start looking now...you will no-doubt find great deals in late winter.
Bring on your questions.

Graham

Welcome aboard Zeke! You've come to a great place filled with lots of great people and lots of great cars.

I felt similarly about the budget for a car and had my mind set on a C5 Z06, but I also had always intended to have an extra budget for several modifications to bring the C5 up to modern specs. I happened to stumble across a great price for a C6 Z51 in my favorite color in February when nobody else was looking. The day after I left my deposit and signed a bill of sale, the guy got four phone calls.

Keep in mind while you are looking that the C6 is quite an improvement over even a Z06 C5. Even a base C6 with an LS2 makes just as much power as a C5Z, and if you go 2008 or newer, the LS3 is arguably the best engine that money can buy (bang for the buck).

Good luck in your search, and I look forward to hearing your progress!

Greetings Zeke, Oh my, a long Winter ahead for you offsetting your "available time" to find the Corvette and to also maintain that "yes you can" response! I did find success making a team effort of the purchase (although "ours" was a task of brand new off-the-lot). Looking forward to your news that "good things come to those who wait" !

Welcome to the forum Zeke. Both the C5 and C6 are great choices. I also think the LS3 is one of the best small blocks out there but buy smart and you won't go wrong with whatever you choose. There is nothing quite like a Corvette and the smile these cars put on your face. Good Luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.