I find myself waving at Corvettes driving my daily drivers, can't help myself!
I'm sure looking forward to waving / not waving / damn, missed that one / did he wave? / rats, another miss! / is that a C8 coming towards me? / put the phone down, dummy! / stop playing with the DIC while you're driving! / ?????? :)

Reactions: PapaSmurf and KTJF
Does anyone know when the Chevrolet Canada website will be updated to the 24 models and prices???
Another forum member posted the old/new prices in a post in another thread. Look for C82NV member name. Think it was the "new prices are out" thread, but my memory is crap.
As for the options, I ordered "new" Friday afternoon, and all the option prices that I ordered on a 2023 back in May, were the same price on my 2024 order. I added some things, and that, plus the base price increase didn't help my final number. :(
Can't dwell on it, though, it's the price I chose to pay for a new car. "Can't take it with you" and my signature says it all.
I'm pretty sure it will all be worth it. I really liked my '86 C4 convertible, but it became an unexpected money pit, so I sold it. It really wasn't the technological marvel that my new C8 will be. Just reading last year's OM (dealer has no idea when the 2024 OM will be out online) is making me realize the learning curve is going to be sharper than anything at Monaco, or Watkin's Glen, or LeMans.
Still, I'm super excited, but tempering it knowing there are some hurdles still to be crossed, and some are simply beyond my control (September 14 UAW contract expiry).
Good luck.

Another forum member posted the old/new prices in a post in another thread. Look for C82NV member name. Think it was the "new prices are out" thread, but my memory is crap.
As for the options, I ordered "new" Friday afternoon, and all the option prices that I ordered on a 2023 back in May, were the same price on my 2024 order. I added some things, and that, plus the base price increase didn't help my final number. :(
Can't dwell on it, though, it's the price I chose to pay for a new car. "Can't take it with you" and my signature says it all.
I'm pretty sure it will all be worth it. I really liked my '86 C4 convertible, but it became an unexpected money pit, so I sold it. It really wasn't the technological marvel that my new C8 will be. Just reading last year's OM (dealer has no idea when the 2024 OM will be out online) is making me realize the learning curve is going to be sharper than anything at Monaco, or Watkin's Glen, or LeMans.
Still, I'm super excited, but tempering it knowing there are some hurdles still to be crossed, and some are simply beyond my control (September 14 UAW contract expiry).
Good luck.
Mike so what did you add that wasn't originally on the build that you sent me? You rejected the $225 carbon flash mirrors and spoiler so something must have caught your eye!

Mike so what did you add that wasn't originally on the build that you sent me? You rejected the $225 carbon flash mirrors and spoiler so something must have caught your eye!
ZZ3 added the Convertible Engine Appearance Package.

I think they give you a coloured engine cover when you order that. I still have my edge red one from my Coupe.
That was my understanding, but sales dude didn't ask what colour I wanted. Red or Silver.
I expect if the UAW walk out, my car may be built in Guangdong.

That was my understanding, but sales dude didn't ask what colour I wanted. Red or Silver.
I expect if the UAW walk out, my car may be built in Guangdong.
Well the last time they went on strike that was one of the conditions that the Corvette WILL NOT be built anywhere else! They also didn't want the new Corvette SUV to be built in Lansing, Michigan. Wouldn't it be nice if we could build some of them in Oshawa!

Well the last time they went on strike that was one of the conditions that the Corvette WILL NOT be built anywhere else! They also didn't want the new Corvette SUV to be built in Lansing, Michigan. Wouldn't it be nice if we could build some of them in Oshawa!
I was just thinking that.
If UNIFOR was smart, they'd get in touch with GM US Corporate, and let them know in no uncertain terms that there's a perfectly capable assembly plant or two up here. NO honour among thieves, or union bosses.
I can't see any of the B3 agreeing to the massive financial liabilities they're asking for.
Raise the entry level wages to par with the old timers, defined benefit pensions returned, COLA, and now, they want the battery plants unionized as well. Absolutely insane.

Reactions: AndrisHTC
I was just thinking that.
If UNIFOR was smart, they'd get in touch with GM US Corporate, and let them know in o uncertain terms that there's a perfectly capable assembly plant or two up here. NO honour among thieves, or union bosses.
Mike, it we can build all of the engines and transmissions here in the past, we can certainly put the car together! I haven't looked into how the US strike is going to effect Canada?

St. Catharines was transmissions I think. Engines too, or was that Windsor? Ford engines were in Windsor. St. Thomas was an assembly plant, and they closed the Ontario Truck Plant which was probably a result of a past UAW demand.
I worked in the OTP in the summer, early '70s. Hard work, but fantastic $$$.

Generally speaking, when the US goes on strike, it affects the supply chain for parts to Canada, if we're actually building any models.

St. Catharines was transmissions I think. Engines too, or was that Windsor? Ford engines were in Windsor. St. Thomas was an assembly plant, and they closed the Ontario Truck Plant which was probably a result of a past UAW demand.
I worked in the OTP in the summer, early '70s. Hard work, but fantastic $$$.
St Catharines was engines and transmissions. I got in to see both being made. St Thomas was the Crown Victoria police car plant and Stirling Truck plant until the closed it.

St Catharines was engines and transmissions. I got in to see both being made. St Thomas was the Crown Victoria police car plant and Stirling Truck plant until the closed it.
Ontario Truck in Oakville closing was a surprise. They had one of the highest ratings for quality control on the planet. I was at the grand opening in '65. My dad worked for Ford for 37 years before he passed. Management.

Ontario Truck in Oakville closing was a surprise. They had one of the highest ratings for quality control on the planet. I was at the grand opening in '65. My dad worked for Ford for 37 years before he passed. Management.
I thought Oakville was still building the Ford Edge there, kind of lost touch with that plant after they stopped building the Windstar and Freestar. I hope your dad made it to 100!

I thought Oakville was still building the Ford Edge there, kind of lost touch with that plant after they stopped building the Windstar and Freestar. I hope your dad made it to 100!
The Oakville Assembly plant was the first plant. It builds cars, Lincolns, Edge, other pasenger vehicles, and the mini-vans. They added Ontario Truck in 1965 to build F-150s primarily. I worked in Material Handling in truck, and filled in on the lines once in a while. I drove tow motors and operated fork lifts, unloading trucks, rail cars, and bringing stock like frames from the outdoor storage area in to the starting end of the assembly line. I learned to use a reaming tool to enlarge certain bolt holes in the frames, when they had a non-standard part being installed, or just heavy duty something or other. It was hard but paid really well for a student employee. I think it was 1972, there was a rail strike, CN I think, and all the parts were brought in on 18 wheelers. We ran almost constantly day and night to keep up with the demand. I made a fortune in overtime that summer. Rail cars normally brought in heavy stuff, like engines, exhaust syetems, transmissions, frames and body panels. My 3rd year, I started seeing the infancy of automation, as they used robotic welders on the body build line to weld the cabs and truck beds together. The basic parts came in unassembled to maximize transport space, and then they were assembled on a separate body build line. Like a fireworks display, with all the welders firing spark showers everywhere. I recall one wildcat walkout over heat and mosquitoes inside the plant. It was so bad one time, a few of the guys on the engine/transmission carousel walked out, and when that line shuts down, it takes the rest of the lines with it.
Dad was in Industrial Relations in the Truck Plant Office. He started in the mail room in Windsor around 1941, after a brief stint in the RCAF. Discharged honorably on a medical (Klinger's Section 8? No, it was physical). He worked his way up through the ranks and in 1960 he was transferred to Toronto, and then Oakville. He was the Oakville Central Office New Car Executive Fleet Manager, before the Truck Plant was built. We could take out new cars on the weekends, if he had to go to the office to take care of something else, as Central Office Building manager. Grabbed the keys and go. We took a 1960-ish T-Bird HTC out one time, and we had the top down. Of course, it started to rain, and damned if he couldn't get the damn top to come up. FInally got it working, and lesson learned. I don't recall too many other joy rides after that one. He then shifted to OTP, where he was a liaison between Ford corporate staff management and the hourly guys/union stewards, and handled all kinds of issues, medical claims, grievance investigation, retirement packages (defined benefits still existed back then), insurance claims, just about everything the plant guys had a need for, beyond their paycheques, he was the go to guy. He was scheduled to retire in June 1978, but passed away before then. His was a very high pressure job/career, lots of people's and their families lives were affected by what he did, and the stress eventually got to him. He was good at it though, by all accounts.
But I digress. G'night all. :)

Last edited:
They are slated (if not already) to build DCT's

Reactions: MKinOntario
The Oakville Assembly plant was the first plant. It builds cars, Lincolns, Edge, other pasenger vehicles, and the mini-vans. They added Ontario Truck in 1965 to build F-150s primarily. I worked in Material Handling in truck, and filled in on the lines once in a while. I drove tow motors and operated fork lifts, unloading trucks, rail cars, and bringing stock like frames from the outdoor storage area in to the starting end of the assembly line. I learned to use a reaming tool to enlarge certain bolt holes in the frames, when they had a non-standard part being installed, or just heavy duty something or other. It was hard but paid really well for a student employee. I think it was 1972, there was a rail strike, CN I think, and all the parts were brought in on 18 wheelers. We ran almost constantly day and night to keep up with the demand. I made a fortune in overtime that summer. Rail cars normally brought in heavy stuff, like engines, exhaust syetems, transmissions, frames and body panels. My 3rd year, I started seeing the infancy of automation, as they used robotic welders on the body build line to weld the cabs and truck beds together. The basic parts came in unassembled to maximize transport space, and then they were assembled on a separate body build line. Like a fireworks display, with all the welders firing spark showers everywhere. I recall one wildcat walkout over heat and mosquitoes inside the plant. It was so bad one time, a few of the guys on the engine/transmission carousel walked out, and when that line shuts down, it takes the rest of the lines with it.
Dad was in Industrial Relations in the Truck Plant Office. He started in the mail room in Windsor around 1941, after a brief stint in the RCAF. Discharged honorably on a medical (Klinger's Section 8? No, it was physical). He worked his way up through the ranks and in 1960 he was transferred to Toronto, and then Oakville. He was the Oakville Central Office New Car Executive Fleet Manager, before the Truck Plant was built. We could take out new cars on the weekends, if he had to go to the office to take care of something else, as Central Office Building manager. Grabbed the keys and go. We took a 1960-ish T-Bird HTC out one time, and we had the top down. Of course, it started to rain, and damned if he couldn't get the damn top to come up. FInally got it working, and lesson learned. I don't recall too many other joy rides after that one. He then shifted to OTP, where he was a liaison between Ford corporate staff management and the hourly guys/union stewards, and handled all kinds of issues, medical claims, grievance investigation, retirement packages (defined benefits still existed back then), insurance claims, just about everything the plant guys had a need for, beyond their paycheques, he was the go to guy. He was scheduled to retire in June 1978, but passed away before then. His was a very high pressure job/career, lots of people's and their families lives were affected by what he did, and the stress eventually got to him. He was good at it though, by all accounts.
But I digress. G'night all. :)
You were very lucky getting lumped on a forktruck as a student!
The former OTP building is still in use. It's the OAP's body shop now.
I stuck it out from '73 to '96 in the OAP until early pensions were offered.

• Love
Reactions: MKinOntario
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.