Feb 6, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Corvette Vert
Province
ON
Hey Forum,

I’m posting on behalf of my Dad. He owns a 19 C7 and would like to do an oil change before storage. It’s been a treasure hunt trying to find the 0w40 esp Mobil 1.

He went to a dealer today and the parts guy told him they use the 0w40 European Blend. My dad said NO way he’s using that as it’s a different oil and doesn’t want warranty issues if they arise in the future.

Was just curious where here in Ontario everyone is buying the ESP dexos 2 oil?

Thanks so much!

Dealers should be stocking it by now. I haven't had any issues getting it at Georgian Chev in Barrie. If he has a 2019 he should be getting the oil changes for free, with the proper oil.

Apparently there is a Mobil 1 distributor in Toronto that sells it in the $12/L range as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Hey Forum,

I’m posting on behalf of my Dad. He owns a 19 C7 and would like to do an oil change before storage. It’s been a treasure hunt trying to find the 0w40 esp Mobil 1.

He went to a dealer today and the parts guy told him they use the 0w40 European Blend. My dad said NO way he’s using that as it’s a different oil and doesn’t want warranty issues if they arise in the future.

Thanks so much!
Hi...I just bought a 19 C7 and as G-Force wrote, you can get the oil at GM dealers...I called 2 in Scarborough/Pickering and bought a litre at the latter. But the price was $26 (!) for a 1L bottle...which I found ridiculous. Can Tire was selling a 4.5L jug of the Euro blend for less than $30 on a half price sale recently. G-Force is correct...GM is offering the first 2 years of oil changes for free, so your dad should have gotten a confirmation for this when he bought his C7. I've read on the US Corvette forum that the Euro blend is just fine...but suggesting that while the motor is under warranty (5 years) to used the Dexos/2 blend just so that they can't deny any motor repair claims should he have any during that time. I checked at both Can Tire & NAPA Auto Parts to see if they could get the Dexos version, but neither could.

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
I'm a bit skeptical that all dealers use the proper oil when changing Corvette oil. Some have a difficult time believing they should use any kind of Mobil 1 oil. These engines have been using 5 W 30 for many years and I'm not about to start paying $26 times 10 liters to buy oil that I change myself. Owners manual on my 2017 GS says 5 w 30 and I'm sticking with it.

Hey Forum,

Thanks so much!

Hey fan:

The direct answer to your question is - order it from the dealer, 6.6 (7) ltr. for wet sump, 9.3 (10) ltr. for dry sump. They can have it next day. Cost is around $25.00/ltr. and make sure that they order the ESP, Dexos 2 approved product. If you're in the GTA you should be able to pick it up at Wilson Niblett in Richmond Hill, they keep it in stock. As you've discovered, most dealers don't know the difference between the Euro Formula and the ESP. If your dad is doing the oil change himself he can use Mobil 1, 5W-30, Dexos 1 for street driving but not for any track related / high performance events. This is stated in the owner's manual and is GM approved for warranty purposes. I'll be switching to the 5W-30 myself after my last free oil change in the spring.

As stated, your dad's C7 is eligible for 3 free oil changes within the first 24 months of ownership. Have the dealer order the correct oil, schedule a service appointment, physically look at the oil BEFORE they do the oil change and, if it's the right stuff, have them complete the service. You didn't say if your dad's car has a dry sump system or not. If it does, I'd suggest that you instruct the dealer to install 8 litres and give you the remaining 2 litres. Then check the oil level as per the owners manual and top it off as necessary. My first 2 free oil changes would have been done with the Euro formula if I hadn't physically inspected the oil that they were going to use.

God luck.

Best regards
Ross

EDIT TO ADD: Some misinformation in this post, please see later posts for clarification.

Directly from GM:

Screenshot (89).png

This is from a Home Office Letter that came as a result of me working with a GM Executive who recently purchased a 2019 Corvette from me. When he had an oil change done, he was confused that everything said we should use Mobil 1, AND dexos2, but there is no Mobil 1 0W40 dexos2 available in Canada (it is available in the USA).

End result: dealerships are now supposed to use Mobil 1 ESP (which is NOT dexos2 certified. - this info is incorrect)

If your service advisor says otherwise, tell him to look it up in a Home Office Letter.

Last edited:
Directly from GM:

View attachment 33341

This is from a Home Office Letter that came as a result of me working with a GM Executive who recently purchased a 2019 Corvette from me. When he had an oil change done, he was confused that everything said we should use Mobil 1, AND dexos2, but there is no Mobil 1 0W40 dexos2 available in Canada (it is available in the USA).

End result: dealerships are now supposed to use Mobil 1 ESP 0W40 which is NOT dexos2 certified.

If your service advisor says otherwise, tell him to look it up in a Home Office Letter.

EJ:

Absolutely no disrespect intended but Mobil 1, ESP 0W-40 Dexos 2, 1 Ltr is absolutely available in Canada and can be purchased at any GM dealer. I've got 3 bottles in my garage. I can assure you that the product referenced in your post is Dexos 2 approved.

This from Mobil Canada: OpenGraphTitle

Best regards
Ross

Attachments

• DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: EJChevy
My apologies, there was a bit of confusion on my behalf.

The ESP 0W-40 dexos2 is not available FOR RETAIL across Canada but is in the USA. GM must have implemented a program for Canada where it will import the product to Canada to GM dealers for use.

Note how yours says "Not for retail sale". The dealership may have it, but shouldn't be selling it, buy the looks of things.

There is Mobil1 0W-40 available at retail stores, but isn't ESP and isn't dexos2 certified. I wasn't remembering everything 100%.

Last edited:
Hey fan:

The direct answer to your question is - order it from the dealer, 6.6 (7) ltr. for wet sump, 9.3 (10) ltr. for dry sump. They can have it next day. Cost is around $25.00/ltr. and make sure that they order the ESP, Dexos 2 approved product. If you're in the GTA you should be able to pick it up at Wilson Niblett in Richmond Hill, they keep it in stock. As you've discovered, most dealers don't know the difference between the Euro Formula and the ESP. If your dad is doing the oil change himself he can use Mobil 1, 5W-30, Dexos 1 for street driving but not for any track related / high performance events. This is stated in the owner's manual and is GM approved for warranty purposes. I'll be switching to the 5W-30 myself after my last free oil change in the spring.

As stated, your dad's C7 is eligible for 3 free oil changes within the first 24 months of ownership. Have the dealer order the correct oil, schedule a service appointment, physically look at the oil BEFORE they do the oil change and, if it's the right stuff, have them complete the service. You didn't say if your dad's car has a dry sump system or not. If it does, I'd suggest that you instruct the dealer to install 8 litres and give you the remaining 2 litres. Then check the oil level as per the owners manual and top it off as necessary. My first 2 free oil changes would have been done with the Euro formula if I hadn't physically inspected the oil that they were going to use.

God luck.

Best regards
Ross
Interesting you're right it does say Dexos 1/5W-30 in the owners manual...that's what I was using in my 98 C5 for the 15 years I owned it. You still wonder if GM will give you a hard time on a motor warranty claim...how do you then prove that you didn't take the C7 to the track? I'll probably just stick with the 0W-40 until the warranty is up. Just to clarify...GM is providing 4 free oil changes, but you have to use them up within 2 years of purchase. I only change the oil once/year as I only put about 2K's on it...but am going to do it twice/year now regardless during that time rather than have the offer expire.

GM provides 2 free oil changes, wet sump engine, and 3, dry sump engine, within 24 months from date of delivery.

The Mobil 1 5W-30 is what came as factory fill in all C7's from MY 2014 to MY 2018. For track use in those models GM required the use of Mobil 1 15W-50. When production of the 2019 MY began in January of 2018 the factory fill changed to Mobil 1 0W-40 with the statement that it could also be used retroactively in previous MY's. Although the LT1 and the LT4 engines remained unchanged, the engineers at BG stated that the 0W-40 could be used for both street and track, thus eliminating the need for additional oil changes on track days, but also that the 5W-30 could be used for street only and that warranty coverage would not be affected. It's indicated as such in the 2019 owner's manual. I don't see how GM could deny warranty coverage for a legitimate, oil related engine failure if proof of purchase could be shown for the correct Mobil 1 5W-30 and a PF64 oil filter, given that the correct oil change intervals were adhered to.

As for the Mobil 1 0W-40 not being available for retail sale in Canada, I question that statement based on personal experience. The bottle that I showed as an attachment is over a year and a half old and was purchased from a GM dealer back then. I asked about the label at the time of purchase and was told that it didn't mean anything. I've since purchase the 0W-40 in Canada from another dealer, which is why I made the recommendation in my other post. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that you can buy it over the counter from a GM dealer as well as from authorized Mobil 1 distributors.

I will also note that the 0W-40 shown in post # 10 and stated as " This is the 0W-40 oil " is not correct. This is the Euro Formula, does not meet the Dexos 2 standard and is not warranty approved by GM. See the attachment in post #8 for the correct oil. Unfortunately this is the oil that some GM dealers are putting their customer's C7's. It's good oil but it's not approved for use in our cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: V8!
The Mobil 1 5W-30 is what came as factory fill in all C7's from MY 2014 to MY 2018. For track use in those models GM required the use of Mobil 1 15W-50. When production of the 2019 MY began in January of 2018 the factory fill changed to Mobil 1 0W-40 with the statement that it could also be used retroactively in previous MY's. Although the LT1 and the LT4 engines remained unchanged, the engineers at BG stated that the 0W-40 could be used for both street and track, thus eliminating the need for additional oil changes on track days, but also that the 5W-30 could be used for street only and that warranty coverage would not be affected. It's indicated as such in the 2019 owner's manual. I don't see how GM could deny warranty coverage for a legitimate, oil related engine failure if proof of purchase could be shown for the correct Mobile 1 5W-30 and a PF64 oil filter, given that the correct oil change intervals were adhered to.

As for the Mobil 1 0W-40 not being available for retail sale in Canada, I question that statement based on personal experience. The bottle that I showed as an attachment is over a year and a half old and was purchased from a GM dealer back then. I asked about the label at the time of purchase and was told that it didn't mean anything. I've since purchase the 0W-40 in Canada from another dealer, which is why I made the recommendation in my other post. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that you can buy it over the counter from a GM dealer as well as from authorized Mobil 1 distributors.
Hi...you're correct about GM dealers having it...the ones I called & eventually bought a litre bottle (at this point just as a spare to keep in the garage in case I need to top it up inbetween oil changes) from, all had it. As I mentioned in a previous post, I tried both NAPA Auto Parts & Can Tire, both Mobil 1 dealers, and they only carried the Euro version of the 0W-40. NAPA went so far as to try to find a source, but couldn't. If you or anyone else knows where we can get it in the GTA for less than the crazy pricing at GM, please post it! Thanks!

I will also note that the 0W-40 shown in post # 10 and stated as " This is the 0W-40 oil " is not correct. This is the Euro Formula, does not meet the Dexos 2 standard and is not warranty approved by GM. See the attachment in post #8 for the correct oil. Unfortunately this is the oil that some GM dealers are putting their customer's C7's. It's good oil but it's not approved for use in our cars.

When I said "This is the oil" I mean this is the oil that's available at retail outlets across Canada, not the oil you need to put in your Corvette.

Here's what all the regular retails have:

Canadian Tire
Part Source
WalMart

I can add more, but there's a trend that it's not available.

Heck, you can't even buy it from Amazon!

It's available at GM dealerships because GM imports them specifically for the Corvettes. The dealerships are not supposed to be selling them. If I were to guess why it's because it doesn't meet some requirements Canada imposes on engine oils. Hence why the label clearly says "NOT FOR RETAIL SALE".

So, allow me to reiterate:

You CANNOT buy this oil in Canada from a RETAIL store.

You CAN have it put in your car from a GM dealership.

When I said "This is the oil" I mean this is the oil that's available at retail outlets across Canada, not the oil you need to put in your Corvette.

Here's what all the regular retails have:

Canadian Tire
Part Source
WalMart

I can add more, but there's a trend that it's not available.

Heck, you can't even buy it from Amazon!

It's available at GM dealerships because GM imports them specifically for the Corvettes. The dealerships are not supposed to be selling them. If I were to guess why it's because it doesn't meet some requirements Canada imposes on engine oils. Hence why the label clearly says "NOT FOR RETAIL SALE".

So, allow me to reiterate:

You CANNOT buy this oil in Canada from a RETAIL store.

You CAN have it put in your car from a GM dealership.
Funny enough, the 1L bottle I bought recently at Boyer GM in Pickering, does NOT have the 'not for retail sale' label on it. The parts rep took it out of a case that they had on their shelf...maybe the box said it, but the individual bottle didn't. I called one other local GM dealer and they also said it was available for sale to customers by the litre. Again, awfully expensive at $25+/litre...but they are selling it.

Funny enough, the 1L bottle I bought recently at Boyer GM in Pickering, does NOT have the 'not for retail sale' label on it. The parts rep took it out of a case that they had on their shelf...maybe the box said it, but the individual bottle didn't. I called one other local GM dealer and they also said it was available for sale to customers by the litre. Again, awfully expensive at $25+/litre...but they are selling it.

Interesting. You learn something new every day!

If you are able to buy from Jegs online and have delivery in the US as we do here in Vancouver, they sell it for $16.99 US/Qt or $82.99/6 pack, that works out to $22.46 and $109.73 Canadian. Currently free shipping over $99. That still pretty expensive even if they have a $10 or $20 off deal which they do every now and then. We can only hope that the price gets more reasonable as the use of the this oil expands with the wider use of direct injection.

If you are able to buy from Jegs online and have delivery in the US as we do here in Vancouver, they sell it for $16.99 US/Qt or $82.99/6 pack, that works out to $22.46 and $109.73 Canadian. Currently free shipping over $99. That still pretty expensive even if they have a $10 or $20 off deal which they do every now and then. We can only hope that the price gets more reasonable as the use of the this oil expands with the wider use of direct injection.
Thanks for the tip...I hadn't heard of them but checked out their website just now. When they ship to Canada it looks like they don't offer free shipping, plus they add brokerage fees on top. I don't think I'll need to buy much of it...I just wanted 1L to keep in the garage just in case the oil needs topping up between oil changes. I still the 5-30W Mobil 1 litre bottle that I bought 15 years ago when I got my used 98 C5...never had to use it as the motor never burned a drop of oil in all those years...I passed it on to a friend who has a C4 and can use it in there. It's crazy when Can Tire can sell a 5L jug of the same 0W-40 Mobil 1 but the Euro formula, when they have a half price sale for not much more than GM is charging for 1L of what's got to be a pretty similar blend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread