Featured Thread
Well... A 1953 Willys Jeep in 1974.
Best car to learn mechanics.
Biz
Willys.JPG

First car was a 1968 Cougar with a 3 speed standard on the floor. it came with a 302. What I remember most about this car was that the engine fit was so tight that to change the # 3 spark plug you either had to lift the engine or cut a hole through the fender well , which is what I did.
I had the same problem with my 1969 Cougar and with the 428 engine it had an even bigger footprint in the engine compartment. Changing the spark plugs adjacent to the Shock-absorber towers was a real challenge since there wasn't enough room between the valve covers, head and the shock towers to get your hand in there. I used to change plugs by using a spark plug socket that had a hex at the top and used a spanner to turn the hex since there was no room for a ratchet. I also found that if I stood against the side of the car facing away from the car my arm and wrist would magically bend at the right angles to manipulate and unscrew the spark plugs. I was able to get the plugs in by inserting the spark plugs insulators into some 3/8" ID vacuum hose and using the hose as a flexible drive to screw the plugs back in. It was a challenging at times and fun car.

Attachments

• cj428.jpg
    cj428.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
My first car was a 47 Studebaker Commander. Paid $30.00 for it. Took out first gear, reverse and second. Drove it for another 1100 miles trying to find a tranny. Sold it to Canadian Junk for 10 dollars and took off the plate and took out the battery and went home. Have many stories about that car. It had an external oil pump. The Screws would come loose and it would leak out all the oil. I would notice there was no oil pressure and drive to the nearest Service station, tighten the allen screws pour in a gallon of oil and continue on..The only car I ever owned that was older than me.
Love all these car stories, but I guess most car guys would.
My dad had lots of Studebakers, Commanders, Larks, Hawks, even an Avanti. From what I remember, they were all junk. Once my mom tried to make the 3 hour trek up to our cottage in Huntsville in the Lark with me and my 2 older brothers. It had a small rad leak so she brought along a jug of water. When the engine would get a little too hot, we would pull over, wait until we could safely get the rad cap off, then top it up with water and continue on. Only problem was, she didn’t bring enough water and me and my brothers all had to pee in that jug to make it to the cottage.

Love all these car stories, but I guess most car guys would.
My dad had lots of Studebakers, Commanders, Larks, Hawks, even an Avanti. From what I remember, they were all junk. Once my mom tried to make the 3 hour trek up to our cottage in Huntsville in the Lark with me and my 2 older brothers. It had a small rad leak so she brought along a jug of water. When the engine would get a little too hot, we would pull over, wait until we could safely get the rad cap off, then top it up with water and continue on. Only problem was, she didn’t bring enough water and me and my brothers all had to pee in that jug to make it to the cottage.
She should have put some pepper in the rad to seal the leak...

Reactions: AxeZ06 and Bucketoy
1930 Model A Sport Coupe, certainly not my first daily driver. Not even sure if it qualifies as my first car? My dad bought this for me as a father and son restoration project. He was an avid antique car restoration nut. It took us about 4 years to get it from a swamp to pristine condition. With his knowledge and my elbow grease, it went on to win a national 1st place award at a Concours Judging Event. A special thank you here to Mr. Fowler, my high school auto teacher who allowed me to spend countless hours working on many different systems from that car. Adding 4 credits of auto to my timetable in grade 12, allowed me to spend the whole afternoon in the auto shop almost every school day.
Looking for speed on the cheap, I turned to motorcycles for a few years. I had mostly used Kawasaki 2 strokes 400, 500, 750 and a new KX1000LTD.
After graduation, and needing a loan from dad for my first daily driver, I couldn’t talk him into the badly rusted Triumph TR6 or the mint 1978 Silver Anniversary Vette I fell in love with. He finally approved a loan for my first car, a 1967 Firebird, that I spent countless hours restoring, and driving. I think it was the rare 3.8L OHC 4bbl in line six that intrigued him.
After that, between my wife and I, it was a new 1979 Sunbird 3.8L V6 - used 1980 2dr. Cutlass Supreme 5L V8, - new 1988 Celebrity Eurosport Wagon - (child rearing years) - new 1994 Astro Van - new 2003 Impala - then, with 3 kids finally done College and University, a new 2010 Camaro RS - new 2018 Equinox - and now, I’m finally getting my 2020 Vette, I hope? A super special high light was being able to follow the 2003 Impala and 2010 Camaro through the entire assembly process.

Rusty frame.jpeg
Frame engine.jpeg
side A.jpeg
rear A.jpeg
Firebird.jpeg
Retired now from GM Oshawa since Christmas, I feel very fortunate that I’ve been able to spend the last 38 years around some of the things I love most in life, namely, automobiles.

Found the one and only motor picture of my 1974 Corvette. Chromed what ever I could get off of it. Wish I would have taken more pictures. Had a very cheap camera and most of my money went into cars and audio and drums. LOL. Included an old pic of one of the bands I used to play in. Thats me hiding behind my drums when I was around 21 years old and handsome and had hair. Lots of it. Ha ha. Don't ask me what band it was. I was in many and besides it was the 70's so a lot of that time frame was a bit, or a lot blurry. :Woohoo:

Attachments

• 307_33951977856_494_n-1.jpeg
    307_33951977856_494_n-1.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7121.JPG
    IMG_7121.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 22
  • Scan 3.jpeg
    Scan 3.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 22
After that, between my wife and I, it was a new 1979 Sunbird 3.8L V6 - used 1980 2dr. Cutlass Supreme 5L V8, - new 1988 Celebrity Eurosport Wagon - (child rearing years) - new 1994 Astro Van - new 2003 Impala - then, with 3 kids finally done College and University, a new 2010 Camaro RS - new 2018 Equinox - and now, I’m finally getting my 2020 Vette, I hope? A super special high light was being able to follow the 2003 Impala and 2010 Camaro through the entire assembly process.
OK, Mr. retired GM Oshawa guy - what's with that '94 Ford AstroVan. My father was a GM car guy all his life but he bought one of those AstroVans because he got an amazing deal he could afford on a meager pension - drove it until he passed away at 90. Lot's of rust but was a very reliable runner.

OK, Mr. retired GM Oshawa guy - what's with that '94 Ford AstroVan. My father was a GM car guy all his life but he bought one of those AstroVans because he got an amazing deal he could afford on a meager pension - drove it until he passed away at 90. Lot's of rust but was a very reliable runner.
I drove that Chevy Astro Van for almost 17 years. It was handy moving the kids back and forth from College/University. There are still lots of them on the road today. I've always been a GM guy, except for that father and son project, Ford Model A. My father on the other hand had many different brands.

Last edited:
Sorry to say, it was a 1977 Chevrolet Vega 4 speed manual. No pictures of it either. It was beyond a lemon and a money pit!

First car when I turned fifteen--Morris Minor convertible--Parked it on the next street and drove it to school regularly--My first but not last clutch job. Graduated and got an Austin Healy 3000--my first but not last engine swap, the car lasted two years. Next a Sunbeam rapier convertible--my first write off accident. !971 Volks Beatle--Yellow--loved it but beat it to death. Next assorted MG's and MG midgets.Oh yeah a 57 Chev with an inline 6--my first car with speed control the lifters would pump up at 50 MPH and stall out the engine. A couple of BMW 325 next--loved them-- my first broken timing belt with an interference fit engine.Then Toyota Sienna Van which has morphed into a Accura MDX. That's most of the memorable ones except for our 62 C1 vet which the wife and I totally rebuilt from the ground up--that car has been the most fun--My first and hopefully last installation of power steering.

'"As near as I can tell the car was built from compressed rust"

That was the funniest quote I have ever heard about the Vega, but so true. I laughed my ass off this morning, thanks for posting @Creedence85

:ROFL:

My first job after I graduated was in a automotive garage/machine shop. I removed so many Vega motors for rebuild back then, I could do the job in less than half an hour. I only needed my quarter drive socket set. If I remember correctly, the early ones had aluminium cylinders. You could tell the ones that did because they actually sounded different. They had very low milage when they came in for rebuild. Our machinist used to bore the cylinders out big enough to insert steel sleeves. Still didn’t stop the rust though… lol.

• Haha
Reactions: BDK and turbozig
First car was a 1958 Chev Delray. I started as a Chev or GM fan. Correct.
Next was a 63 Impala, 71 Demon 340, 72 Datsun 510, 73 Datsun 510, 71 Nova, Honda Civic, Dodge van, Datsun 1/4 ton, 77 Ford van, 78 Ford van, 84 Chev van..
20171204_173503.jpg
20171204_173503.jpg.....69 Camaro Convertible, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki motorcycles, Quad, Trikes, Snowmobiles..... Ford trucks, Chev trucks, GMC Duramax, Chev Duramax. 2002 Anniversary Camaro conv. 09 Corvette conv, 09 Corvette coup and 2016 Stingray, Equinox and XT5. Started as a GM person, made the rounds and now own 3 GMs again. Full circle.
First car picture.

Last edited:
ok ...
I’m game for the dementia test 😇

I am GM ...
69 Chevy II
84 Z28
86 Sunbird Turbo GT
89 Olds Delta 88
96 GMC Sierra (finally)
98 Grand Prix GTP/GTX
01 MontanaVision (family man now)
08 GMC Sierra
09 Acadia (enough of that minivan for me)
13 Acadia
15 Acadia (still have)
15 GMC Sierra
16 Corvette (not hers)
17 Corvette (not his)
17 Trax
19 GMC Sierra
2X ???

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.